By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Nvidia bitterness continues, compares PS4 specs to a 'low-end CPU'

fillet said:

Why does everyone take this so personally. This is a businessman defending his business decisions that were made for business reasons. i.e - he's credible as nvidia like any other company like money.

His comments are a little exaggerated, for the GPU. To expect GTX680 performance or anywhere near it in a console is a bit much and simply can't be done at a decent price level, or even TDP on the heat/power side of things. The CPU part, he's likely pretty close with his statement there, but CPU isn't as important as GPU by a long way once it's at a certain level.

Point is that he's not "bitter" and saying as such just makes you look like you don't really understand much about comments made by a rep from a business who deals with this stuff.

I'm sure the CEO of McDonald's franchise operations (if such a thing exists) would have similarly derrogatory remarks about the direction Burger King is taking their business, you can be quite sure that they wouldn't be "bitter" or actually lie but you're going to get an opinion that is centric to McDonald's business direction and biased in that direction.

In fact OP, you should be ashamed really for using the word "bitterness", it's really not helpful and gives totally the wrong impression than what is actually being discussed here. You haven't explained why you have used the word and it just riles up hate from the usual suspects.

You're right, damage control is the proper word to use and hes going to need it once AMD destroys them having console exclusivity, which can mean anywhere up to 250 m consoles world wide. Nvidia will go nowhere close.

Around the Network

Is it bitterness or simply promoting his product?  I belive Sony will promote the PS4 too.

fillet said:

Why does everyone take this so personally. This is a businessman defending his business decisions that were made for business reasons. i.e - he's credible as nvidia like any other company like money.

His comments are a little exaggerated, for the GPU. To expect GTX680 performance or anywhere near it in a console is a bit much and simply can't be done at a decent price level, or even TDP on the heat/power side of things. The CPU part, he's likely pretty close with his statement there, but CPU isn't as important as GPU by a long way once it's at a certain level.

Point is that he's not "bitter" and saying as such just makes you look like you don't really understand much about comments made by a rep from a business who deals with this stuff.

I'm sure the CEO of McDonald's franchise operations (if such a thing exists) would have similarly derrogatory remarks about the direction Burger King is taking their business, you can be quite sure that they wouldn't be "bitter" or actually lie but you're going to get an opinion that is centric to McDonald's business direction and biased in that direction.

In fact OP, you should be ashamed really for using the word "bitterness", it's really not helpful and gives totally the wrong impression than what is actually being discussed here. You haven't explained why you have used the word and it just riles up hate from the usual suspects.

Problem is he is a spokesman for nVidia, it doesn't matter what he personally feels regarding this, all that matters is how the average Joe Bloggs perceives his comments, and from the comments I've read on many tech sites, he comes across as 'bitter' which then reflects back on nVidia. He would have been far better off by not saying anything and not drawing attention to the issue. You don't hear the CEO of macca's slagging off their competition, in fact you don't hear them mention the competition at all, why give them free advertising?

This whole comparing the PS4 CPU to a PC is silly anyway. Yes, Jaguar is fairly low end, its a Brazos replacement designed for low-power applications. However, the fact that its directly attached to a powerful ~HD78XX class GPU through an extremely high bandwidth memory bus, the fact it has unified memory addresses means the CPU and GPU can work on the same data without having to shuffle the data across a PCI-E connection into separate buckets of memory marks a massive departure from the PC architecture. Through OpenCL, you have this seamless ability to balance compute on both the CPU and GPU, using the same memory structures, the PS4 architecture (and assuming the 720 as well if it uses the same) are just not comparable, even before you factor in the benefits of a set target platform for which you can heavily optimise code.

who cares, from what I saw, power will not be an issue.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Since the consoles are joining the PC verse with their new hardware check out these CPU benchmarks and then see where the AMD APUs are in relation to other PC processors.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html (hint look way down the list)

The comparison of benchmarks for graphics cards is also interesting, and the PS4 graphics card rumours put it some where in the middle of the good graphics cards, but well bellow the NVIDIA high end.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

What was said about the high overhead of PCs (windows, DX, etc...) is true. The steambox (valve's version) will likely be using some form of Ubuntu core (valve and canonical have been working closely together lately) with it's big picture mode and OpenGL rather than Direct X. They will likely leave out the desktop environment. This will have a much lower overhead than a Windows/DX setup. And I am hoping they use the 3.8.x kernel or better so I can use my wiimotes, ballanceboard, and such with it.

The steambox software front end has been in public beta since last year (when I began using it) and runs very well. Steam (on ubuntu) now eats up more of my time than my WiiU.

As someone who remembers the old days of Pacman and space invaders, gaming just keeps getting better. And all the next gen consoles are pretty capable of delivering great games. Why worry whether the PS4 is better than a 720 or a WiiU? Just buy the consoles that give you the games you want, they are all pretty good.

Around the Network

So $400 can't buy me what $1000 can! SURELY YOU JEST!

superchunk said:
Nvidia is right.

The APU has by default a mobile based CPU and GPU and therefore they are low/mid products.

This why I been laughing at all the craziness people have gone on about the 8GB of GDDR5 ram.

MSony are not pushing the limits at the start of this gen like previous. This is also why they are significantly closer to WiiU than their predecessors were to Wii. Wii to WiiU is a larger jump than PS360 to PS4/NXbox.

Now after saying that... its obvious Nvidia is in damage control.

RAM wouldnt help with visuals, the GPU would. RAM would help Sony put multiple features in the PS4 though and games might load faster. Anyone that think 8gb of RAM means more graphics is stupid. Im sure the PS4 and Wii U's GPGPU are not that far apart unless the PS4 GPU has features the Wii U is not capable of which im sure is unlikely since they are both mobile phone GPUs and both probably have DX11 features.

"I'm sure there was a negotiation that went on," Tamasi told GameSpot, "and we came to the conclusion that we didn't want to do the business at the price those guys were willing to pay."

Right! More like Sony wasn't willing to pay what you wanted. Your loss Nvidia. AMD is just a better deal.

"These are the highest quality pixels that anybody has seen"

fillet said:

Tabular said:
"I'm sure there was a negotiation that went on," Tamasi told GameSpot, "and we came to the conclusion that we didn't want to do the business at the price those guys were willing to pay."

Right! More like Sony wasn't willing to pay what you wanted. Your loss Nvidia. AMD is just a better deal.

AMD had to and I think it is also deserved that MS and Sony give them money. They have their integrated chips which are cheaper and better than those from Intel and also NVidia has no APU - a system would have been built with NVidia and a CPU which NVidia hasn't. AMD has to take everything they can because of their financial situation, sadly. Also we don't know how the relationship between NVidia and Sony is considering the RSX-disaster.