By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ninokuni outsells DMC on PS360 in february

kowenicki said:
Vankwisha said:
kowenicki said:
So both games sold terribly then.

Compared to what exactly? DMC sold terrible compared to the originals, Ninokuni is a new franchise which is aimed towards a niche audiance, its going to outsell your beloved Lost Odyessy.

lol.

Lost Odyssey released on an install base that was tiny compared to this game and on an almost non existant Japanese install base.  So if it does manage to beat it (I guess it might.... just) then its hardly much of an achievement.

Not sure what this has to do with the ludicrous sales predictions that were made about Ni No Kuni though?  

I never said anything about ludicrous sales predictions, this game is way to niche to sell anywhere near 2m I would have said the same.

Install base or not they released the game at that point in time and were still expecting it to light up the sales charts, pretty much every console JRPG is selling around the same numbers apart from Final fantasy so to say this is selling terrible is like saying they all are.

Around the Network
Rafux said:
Poetic justice.

Why is it that you dislike DmC so much? I meant to ask you in other threads. Is it the game itself? Ninja Theory? I respect your opinion, but I'm just curious about your reasons, especially since I don't think you dislike the game because of the bad hair Dante had before.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

well it proves that jrpg on consoles, expect for FF, are pretty dead... it's just too expensive to make these kinda huge games with so little ROI.. its no surprise that they are going handheld..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

kowenicki said:
Vankwisha said:
kowenicki said:
Vankwisha said:
kowenicki said:

Compared to what exactly? DMC sold terrible compared to the originals, Ninokuni is a new franchise which is aimed towards a niche audiance, its going to outsell your beloved Lost Odyessy.

lol.

Lost Odyssey released on an install base that was tiny compared to this game and on an almost non existant Japanese install base.  So if it does manage to beat it (I guess it might.... just) then its hardly much of an achievement.

Not sure what this has to do with the ludicrous sales predictions that were made about Ni No Kuni though?  

I never said anything about ludicrous sales predictions, this game is way to niche to sell anywhere near 2m I would have said the same.

Install base or not they released the game at that point in time and were still expecting it to light up the sales charts, pretty much every console JRPG is selling around the same numbers apart from Final fantasy so to say this is selling terrible is like saying they all are.

well.... they pretty much all are.

Thats more like it :)

heres some fun facts just a random list of JRPGs that poped to my head.

Resonance of fate ps360 930k

Lost Odyssey 840k

Tales of Graces f 760k

Nier ps360 750k

infinite Undiscovery 650k

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch 630k

Eternal Sonata ps360 530k

I expect Ninokuni to hit 850k-900k LTD

NiKKoM said:
well it proves that jrpg on consoles, expect for FF, are pretty dead... it's just too expensive to make these kinda huge games with so little ROI.. its no surprise that they are going handheld..

Japanese devs went handheld instead of creating games for PS3 mainly because the Cell was difficult to work with. Expect more JRPGS next gen on the PS4.

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

Around the Network

How do these sales compare to VGChartz?

1. [PS3-360] Final Fantasy XIII (1,322,100)
2. [PS3-360] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (~ 350,000)
3. [PS3-360] Dark Souls (~ 350,000)
4. [360] Lost Odyssey (203,600)
5. [PS3] Demon's Souls (~ 150,000)
6. [PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (~ 112,000)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47785303&postcount=3883

Weedlab said:
Rafux said:
Poetic justice.

Why is it that you dislike DmC so much? I meant to ask you in other threads. Is it the game itself? Ninja Theory? I respect your opinion, but I'm just curious about your reasons, especially since I don't think you dislike the game because of the bad hair Dante had before.

I think hes mad over the hair

kowenicki said:
Vankwisha said:
kowenicki said:
Vankwisha said:
kowenicki said:
Vankwisha said:
kowenicki said:

lol.

well.... they pretty much all are.

Thats more like it :)

heres some fun facts just a random list of JRPGs that poped to my head.

Resonance of fate ps360 930k

Lost Odyssey 840k

Tales of Graces f 760k

Nier ps360 750k

infinite Undiscovery 650k

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch 630k

Eternal Sonata ps360 530k

I expect Ninokuni to hit 850k-900k LTD

So we agree.  JRPG's sell badly.

Yep apart from a select few.

Nsanity said:

How do these sales compare to VGChartz?

1. [PS3-360] Final Fantasy XIII (1,322,100)
2. [PS3-360] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (~ 350,000)
3. [PS3-360] Dark Souls (~ 350,000)
4. [360] Lost Odyssey (203,600)
5. [PS3] Demon's Souls (~ 150,000)
6. [PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (~ 112,000)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47785303&postcount=3883

Are these first week sales? they are way different on vgchartz for Lost Odyssey and Ni no kuni. Those are the only two I checked.

NiNoKuni sold probably a few units over the PSN too.

NiNoKuni did well for a J-RPG of this art style in such a shooter biased Gen.
J-RPGs will be back stronger when the PS4 is on top and the main choice for most people.
The Genre had a huge setback when most people either were forced to buy a console they didn't want at all or just started to stop caring for J-RPGs cause of the the low increase in quality or the fear of Multiplat downgrading.Most Devs couldn't afford to invest a lot cause of the hard to master architecture of the PS3.
Its to risky but still more productive to release a "low" quality J-RPG on the PS3 than to work on a easier to develop platform cause there no one cares for other genres.
You can see how much Tales of Xillia got pushed just cause it was a PS3 Exclusive - Franchise PreOrder Records and tons of money through DLC Costumes.
With the PS4 on top and the easy to develop for architecture it will be a lot easier for poor J-RPG Devs to create better (looking) games.

@DmC
Lol...Multiplatform was surely a good choice.Cause this was probably one of the reasons they changed so much.
Should have stayed with its fanbase and never changed to a mainstream franchise.Will be interesting if Capcom learned their lesson like a few others already did in this Gen.
People all over the world want their Japanese Games made for the crazy Japanese taste.If they want to play westernized games they already have enough choice.And THAT doesn't matter on which console or community.A fanbase started to like a franchise cause of its elements and traits it started with.If you take that away the fanbase will stop caring and the people that are tried to catch(in the case of Capcom it was the CoD Community with their franchises) don't care cause they already have their mindset about the franchise.