By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ninokuni outsells DMC on PS360 in february

DMC sold worse than a JRPG? And I was just mentioning how much it flopped in another thread.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

Nino Kuni deserves to sell more...

Well deserved while I thought the audience would be lower. Looking forward to play this on Gaikai when Sony delivers clients for other platforms. Also shows that new IPs are needed! People want new/fresh ideas (except Nintemdo fans :P).

Nsanity said:
ethomaz said:
For a new IP the Ni no Kumi reach close 200k in two months in US is AMAZING!!!

DmC instead bombed in sales like Rising... close 200k in two platform for a already stabilized series.

Ni no kuno was released on the DS in 2010.

I'm sure the DS version made quite an impact on US sales of the PS3 version.

axumblade said:
Soriku said:
kowenicki said:
Soriku said:
kowenicki said:
So both games sold terribly then.

What? These type of sales are amazing for a JRPG. The vast majority of JRPGs sell far, FAR less than this in the US.

its all relative.

you had to qualify amazing.   Ni No Kuni sold relatively well as JPRG's and relatively poorly as a game.  DMC sold poorly full stop.

We don't know the game's budget so you can't really say that. The game disappointed in Japan but US (and EU) sales may have made up for that.

Level 5 said they might consider a sequel if the game sold well in the West. I can't imagine Level 5 and Namco who localized the game would be disappointed with these sales. Maybe Namco could even see an opportunity for growth (like they have with Dark Souls)...

I think what is most impressive is the fact that the game didn't do amazing in Japan but is doing a lot better in the west. The game came out in 2011 in Japan and just released in the U.S. and Europe and it's about to outsell the Japanese version. Obviously 200k was successful enough for Namco-Bandai to feel it was worthy of localizing it. So if it sells more worldwide than in Japan, I would think that it was big enough of a success to warrant a sequel.

I think this is a good indication that JRPG's do have a place on consoles worldwide. I'm hoping that later this year, it can be proven again when Tales of Xillia finally makes its way over.

and I think this is the most important thing to take from this; hopefully it sends a message to NB and others that JRPG's aren't as dead in the west as some believe. I really hope Tales of Xillia gets some decent sales as well