By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you consider Nintendo gamers core gamers?

Do you consider Nintendo gamers core gamers?

yes 232 68.44%

no 92 27.14%

yes....im afraid of the butt kicking.... 15 4.42%

Total:339

first, what is a "core' gamer anyway ? Is there a concise definition to what would be a core gamer ?

Many people think that core gamers are the ones who are only interested in playing M-rated games. Others think that core gamers are the ones who play and enjoy multiple consoles, and others think that core gamers are the ones who are interested in every kind of game their can get their hands on, others think that core gamers are the ones who try to complete every quest/achievement/mission on their games (those so called "completioninsts")

If you talking about consuming, yes, many Nintendo fans are "core" gamers, many of them don´t miss franchises like Pokemon, Mario, Zelda and love to try to get 100% of those games. They buy Nintendo franchises by millions.

Of course, there´s a good fraction of Nintendo fans that are casuals, who prefer to play franchises like WiiSports, Wii Fit, Just Dance etc. But those kind of gamers are also part of the Xbox (Kinect), Tablets and PC consumers.

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
The fact is that a person who only plays on Nintendo consoles is 99% of the time NOT a hardcore gamer whatsoever.
What do I mean by "NOT a hardcore gamer"? That most of the following boxes are ticked:
- He hasn't played most games that fall into the "best game of all time" categories like: Metal Gear Solid, Metroid Prime, Half Life, etc. etc. etc. Nor has he even ever considered the question.
- He has very little to no knowledge about previous generation of games.
- He sucks in competitive multiplayer.
- He can't finish games on _h a r d_ mode like it's supposed to be done.
- He doesn't know developers' names. Prolly doesn't even know shigsy.
- I think you see where I am going with this.
So, no. Probably Rol is the only hardcore "Nintendo-only" gamer in the world.

Your description falls exactely on the cathegory of casual gamers (who are spread in all platforms) not Nintendo fans, which in general are very dedicated to their games and systems.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
hinch said:.

....Think World of Warcraft or Call of Duty players who rack up days/weeks of play time.

WoW is not a video game, it's an online activity.

Not really. I don't even really consider them to be people.

depends, the soccer moms who bought the Wii for Wii sports and dance central ? not really no
the nintendo gamers who buy mario,zelda, metriod for example and game a lot on the system? yes

Around the Network

I'm a core gamer. There's no doubt about that.

F0X said:
Michael-5 said:
F0X said:
Michael-5 said:
F0X said:
Michael-5 said:

For the most part yes.

What kind of true RPG fan would ignore XenoBlade Chronicles? What kind of true FPS fan would ignore Metroid Prime? What kind of Action/Adventure fan would ignore Zelda? Nintendo has some of the best games out there, and only the really hardcore gamers own a Wii (maybe just as a secondary console) to play the few, but excellent Nintendo exclusives.

However the people who only have a Nintendo platform, I don't consider them core gamers. You can't ignore all the multiplatform and exclusive games available on the PS3/360. You need at least 1 HD system.

Does the PC count?

(Also WiiU is HD but I know what you mean.)

Well yea, it does, PC is capable of graphics higher then PS3/360, a lot of 360 console exclusives are available on PC, and PC has it's own selection of quality exclusives (Starcraft 2, The Witcher 1, Civilization V, etc). PC is an HD system (unless you have a PC like mine which struggles with Halo 1).

Wii U just came out, so it doesn't count (what did the core gamers play from 2006-2012, other then Wii?)

Niche DS RPGs, I suppose. But as I said, I know what you meant. I felt you could've used a qualifier that automatically precluded Wii U, though.

Yea DS JRPG's are great (I have a lot, look at my collection), but a real gamer wouldn't ignore other JRPG offerings not on a Nintendo platformer.

I don't think anyone who sticks with 1 platform manufacterer is a true core gamer. You don't need all the platforms, but with a good variety of AAA games split between 3 manufacterers this gen, you need more then 1. Also I just think if you don't own a PS3/360/HD PC, you're really ignoring the majority of AAA games.

Basically, I can consider someone who doesn't own a Wii a core gamer, but someone who doesn't own and HD system I can't. Don't get me wrong, Wii has an excellent selection of games, but they are, for the most part, from one publisher.

An analogy would be calling someone a car buff, when they only look into buying cars from 1 single manufacturer. Or someone into comic books, but only follows one superhero.

Without variety, you're just a fanboy, not a core gamer.

For the most part I understand. However since gaming can be a rather expensive hobby, I also count people who avidly play games on their friends' consoles, or at least tries to make well-informed purchasing decisions.

I 100% agree, you can always borrow a console from a friend with too many for a bit. I borrowed my friends PS3 for a few months to beat Uncharted 2 and InFamous (mine broke a while back).

I miss how Blockbuster used to let you rent consoles

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Dr.Grass said:
The fact is that a person who only plays on Nintendo consoles is 99% of the time NOT a hardcore gamer whatsoever.

What do I mean by "NOT a hardcore gamer"? That most of the following boxes are ticked:

- He hasn't played most games that fall into the "best game of all time" categories like: Metal Gear Solid, Metroid Prime, Half Life, etc. etc. etc. Nor has he even ever considered the question.

- He has very little to no knowledge about previous generation of games.

- He sucks in competitive multiplayer.

- He can't finish games on _h a r d_ mode like it's supposed to be done.

- He doesn't know developers' names. Prolly doesn't even know shigsy.

- I think you see where I am going with this.

So, no. Probably Rol is the only hardcore "Nintendo-only" gamer in the world.

I suck at competetive multiplayer, and I don't know any developer names except for Miyamoto. Am I not a hardcore gamer to you, despite owning about 500 games and most platforms?

Also for "Best of all time" I'm surprised you omitted The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy :P Get with the older gens man.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:

Yea DS JRPG's are great (I have a lot, look at my collection), but a real gamer wouldn't ignore other JRPG offerings not on a Nintendo platformer.

I don't think anyone who sticks with 1 platform manufacterer is a true core gamer. You don't need all the platforms, but with a good variety of AAA games split between 3 manufacterers this gen, you need more then 1. Also I just think if you don't own a PS3/360/HD PC, you're really ignoring the majority of AAA games.

Basically, I can consider someone who doesn't own a Wii a core gamer, but someone who doesn't own and HD system I can't. Don't get me wrong, Wii has an excellent selection of games, but they are, for the most part, from one publisher.

An analogy would be calling someone a car buff, when they only look into buying cars from 1 single manufacturer. Or someone into comic books, but only follows one superhero.

The obvious flaw in your thinking is that it asserts that AAA games are what defines the "core gamer." Especially since those same AAA games, by necessity, rely far more on the mainstream ("casual") consumer than niche games do. To go along with your analogy, it'd be like someone calling himself a car buff because he can name all the latest sedans coming out from the major manufacturers.

Of course, I could be wrong. Seeing the crowd that most loudly proclaims itself to be the core gamer, I've long ago concluded that the label is closer to an insult than anything.

noname2200 said:
Michael-5 said:

The obvious flaw in your thinking is that it asserts that AAA games are what defines the "core gamer." Especially since those same AAA games, by necessity, rely far more on the mainstream ("casual") consumer than niche games do. To go along with your analogy, it'd be like someone calling himself a car buff because he can name all the latest sedans coming out from the major manufacturers.

Of course, I could be wrong. Seeing the crowd that most loudly proclaims itself to be the core gamer, I've long ago concluded that the label is closer to an insult than anything.

AAA Games do not have to be mainstream games. Catherine for PS3/360 is definatly AAA, and I would not consider that casual. Same with XenoBlade for Wii. Valkyria Chronicles and Lost Odyssey are also AAA, and I think Lost Odyssey. Mind you I define AAA as games of high quality, not games with high production costs (But I think Lost Odyssey's production costs were pretty high for a Japanese game non the less).

However often times games with large production costs do turn out good, maybe not great, but good.

For the Car analogy, that would be like knowing what a Henessey Venom is, and why it's important. Cars are not the best analogy because most people can't truely afford Ferrarri's, and to a degree, most people can't afford multiple consoles, but you can always pick up a PS3/360 late into its life (now is a pretty good time) or borrow a console off a friend.