By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - what exactly is granting PS4 a better future than Vita ?

small44 said:
Licence said:
small44 said:

Sony= Console > Portable

Nintendo= Portable > Console.

It dosn't mean that Nintendo can never make a succesful home console and Sony can never make a succesfull handheld PSP and Wii are exemple of that but it mean Nintendo can never make a handheld witch will fail and Sony can never make a home console witch will fail.

I think that is rather dubious logic. *Of course* Nintendo can make a handheld that fails, and of course Sony can make a console that fails. The future is never determined by the past, otherwise we'd still live in the Roman Empire.

Nintendo made handheld 30 year,give me any Nintendo handheld that fail,give me a home console from Sony that fail.

Hmmmm, I guess that settles it then. The PS4 will succeed because Sony simply cannot make a home console that fails. OK.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Look at Nintendos third party support for the nearly twenty years on both of their items and tell me if I am wrong. The DS has had unreal third party support for a handheld that makes their console look like a desert. Sonys stamp on the gaming industry is unreal. Their lowest selling console is edging on 80 million consoles. This is their lowest selling console in their third generation. By black friday 2013 Sony will have outsold the original PSP with the PS3. If that doesn't tell you anything, I don't know what does.

There is one thing it does not tell me, which is also the question of this thread. *Why* is Sony so successful at home consoles when they are struggling with handhelds, and why would the PS4 continue this success?

Licence said:
small44 said:
Licence said:
small44 said:

Sony= Console > Portable

Nintendo= Portable > Console.

It dosn't mean that Nintendo can never make a succesful home console and Sony can never make a succesfull handheld PSP and Wii are exemple of that but it mean Nintendo can never make a handheld witch will fail and Sony can never make a home console witch will fail.

I think that is rather dubious logic. *Of course* Nintendo can make a handheld that fails, and of course Sony can make a console that fails. The future is never determined by the past, otherwise we'd still live in the Roman Empire.

Nintendo made handheld 30 year,give me any Nintendo handheld that fail,give me a home console from Sony that fail.

Hmmmm, I guess that settles it then. The PS4 will succeed because Sony simply cannot make a home console that fails. OK.

Because itwill surely have 3rd party support especially in Japan,because ps4 dosn't cost 600 dollars,because ps4 will not get the inferior version ,because it won't be released one year after the Xbox one.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

because its what will replace my ps3 and vita cant do that

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Licence said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Look at Nintendos third party support for the nearly twenty years on both of their items and tell me if I am wrong. The DS has had unreal third party support for a handheld that makes their console look like a desert. Sonys stamp on the gaming industry is unreal. Their lowest selling console is edging on 80 million consoles. This is their lowest selling console in their third generation. By black friday 2013 Sony will have outsold the original PSP with the PS3. If that doesn't tell you anything, I don't know what does.

There is one thing it does not tell me, which is also the question of this thread. *Why* is Sony so successful at home consoles when they are struggling with handhelds, and why would the PS4 continue this success?

Its not about what Sony is doing wrong, but rather what Nintendo is doing right. You see Nintendos handhelds are easily sold because of their mascot characters. Kids grew up loving the Gameboy with their platformers old school adventure games and more. Sony has a lot of characters but they are console worthy characters. Everything on the PSP that isn't made for the PSP feels like a down ported game on a less defined platform. Nintendo ushered in the mascot era durin the 80's and 90's where mascots and cartoons were commercially very large. Kids could bring these characters to school with them and they still are. Its just not as big as it once was though during the mascot era. 

Sony pushes tech and disc space, which allows devs to go crazy with development, which is why they left Nintendo. Also because they brought multimedia to gaming they increased the marketshare stability of the gaming industry.  Sony demands large third party support much like Microsoft. Nintendo creates consoles for themselves, but at least their handhelds are old tech which Japanese devs dont need to go through hell to figure out. 

Sony could make some mascot characters but they will have to become beloved by consumers. Most of their mascot characters are uninspired in looks even though the gameplay was amazing. 

Around the Network

naughty dog

They actually always perform pretty good with home consoles, so if we take the history as example, it would be a indicator of a good performance. Even PS3, with a terrible launch, no games for years, massive price and so on already made almost 80M units sold and probably will pass 100M with ease. 3 consoles, 3 100M sellers, they are solid performers at this.

Now to more concrete reasons:
- They have a good price point. 100 US$ cheaper than One and delivering more performance than Wii U for just 50 bucks more.
- Good pre-sales figures
- 3rd part support
- Some big exclusives (Gran Turismo, Last Of Us, Uncharted, God of War. Not anounced yet, but they will come in some years)
- Developers are pretty happy with it

Call of Duty.

There is a lot of garbage being thrown around on here, like Nintendo = Handhelds and Sony = consoles, or Naughty Dog is awesome, and all kinds of other stuff. The truth is, Sony has always been about hardware - specifically multimedia gaming hardware and a little bit about software. The software comes from third parties. Sony's home consoles have found success by being a multimedia hub and people like their brand of hardware; and because third parties have given them great support. 3rd parties play a major role in home consoles.

The Vita fails because the traditional Sony strengths are useless to it. Its multimedia abilities are pointless to anyone with a Smartphone, and 3rd parties don't really care about handhelds. Further, Nintendo was able to secure the handful of major portable 3rd party franchises from the likes of Square and Capcom. To do the same in the home console market Nintendo would had to have bought exclusivity from EA, Capcom, Activision and Take Two. No problem!

On home consoles series such as COD, GTA and others are a major factor. COD is the biggest game in the world right now. It, and all other 3rd party multiplats, will be on PS4. Now, they are on other platforms too, but the situation is very different from Vita. Like Vita, it is competing against the cheaper Wii U and Nintendo's popular 1st party brands, but with a large portion of customers just looking for something shiny that will play COD and GTA, PS4 will be a popular choice. Where things would become muddy is if Wii U continued to get strong 3rd party support while being cheaper, but that is doubtful.

Didnt even read the comments so im probably repeating most people.

3rd party support and a bigger fanbase.

Roughly 80% of the games sold on the Ps3 has been 3rd party. People want to act like 1st party is important and they are because they are differences in the competitors. But 3rd party support will be bigger from a software point for numerous reason.

If you are soley going to rely on 1st party games then you would need a steady flow which sony is not capable of.

Also remember the high price point compared to competition and that Nintendo is much more popular in the handheld market than sony.  PSP didnt help Sony's reputation much in major territories like Europe and America.

torok said:
They actually always perform pretty good with home consoles, so if we take the history as example, it would be a indicator of a good performance. Even PS3, with a terrible launch, no games for years, massive price and so on already made almost 80M units sold and probably will pass 100M with ease. 3 consoles, 3 100M sellers, they are solid performers at this.

Now to more concrete reasons:
- They have a good price point. 100 US$ cheaper than One and delivering more performance than Wii U for just 50 bucks more.
- Good pre-sales figures
- 3rd part support
- Some big exclusives (Gran Turismo, Last Of Us, Uncharted, God of War. Not anounced yet, but they will come in some years)
- Developers are pretty happy with it

100 bucks more