By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Gaming Industry Crashing?

Worth the time to watch.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

Amazing video. I´ve been saying this for a loooong time: keep supporting Sony and Microsoft´s bussiness model and the industry will be gone.

Reserving this post for after video *

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

Personally, I think there were some faults in his arguments. Here were some of the most notable.

-Bad ending=Bad game. The Atari crash games were major cash-ins and generally just very unplayable. Aliens:CM is the only one I see that was pretty much a terrible game from start to finish.

-EA stock. If stock drops overall for all of the major sections of the industry that does not mean that EA's actions were the only reason that stock dropped. People just don't have as much $$ to spend anymore.

-He worked for only a year at Gamestop.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

He makes a pretty good argument but I can't see it becoming as bad as before.
In 1983 it was more difficult to know which games were worth buying. These days, word of mouth (i.e: the internet) makes it easier for consumers to choose quality software.

My point is, as long as there is demand for good games (there is), someone will make them. And if there are good games, people will know about it and buy them.

Around the Network

There's no comparison between now and the 1983 Atari bust. At the time, video game systems were ambiguous to retailers who were also naive about stocking them and got burned in the process. The issue today is the unprecedented span between system releases. A new game now has to compete with a massive library of cheap, existing titles along with blockbuster de jour. Very few games approach the abysmal flood of literally unplayable dross which doomed the Atari VCS.

So today either your game has to be a blockbuster too, or cheap and shift units, to recoup.

Also it is revisionist to pin the NES for saving the industry. Video games were doing fine in 83-84, due to the cheap and powerful c64 and zx spectrum, which came out in 82, and likely one of the factors which pulled the plug on the dated VCS market.

This is really, really reaching. These games he's talking about are NOT low quality. He seems to be trying to manufacture controversy. He's also throwing his opinions out there as fact, such as saying DLC isn't usually acceptable.

... and, yes, I think Steam has a little bit to do with Valve's success. That was stupid.

That was pretty bad. He's completely and totally leaving out the bad games of the past in an effort to sensationalize everything.

Anyone reading this, it's just a Nintendo fanboy telling us that everything is bad except Nintendo, especially Sony. Skip it. "If Nintendo goes, who is going to save us?"

only the sales of ps4 and nextbox will determine if this is true or not. If they go the way of Wii U then there is some seriously things that need to be looked at.

.. as he correctly identified, bad games back in 1983 were really, really bad and barely playable - I know that, I had an Atari VCS 2600

mediocre games from today would have been seen as god send all-time classics just 10 years back though

personally I think we might see less total consoles and software sales (well, those will be really hard to track anyway) than this gen, but there won't be a "crash"