By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Gaming Industry Crashing?

Transition yes, crash no

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

Interesting, but wouldn't it just be as easy/hard to convince the gaming consumers to buy quality titles only then to call for a gaming crisis? How pitiful really. A gaming crisis is something that happens despite the consumer base not because the consumer base pushed for it. How ridiculous, because the video game industry is heading towards a crisis, cause a crisis. Really? Still an informative video of sorts.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

I think this is a troll video.

It has very little relevant information or analysis :(

silicon said:

Trolling consists of dropping inflamatory comments to get a forum stirred up, posting stuff you don't believe, just to get a reaction.  In short, you are doing prank postings.  This is a different animal.  It can be seen as an inflamatory opinion piece, which is different.  Not sure why the shot at Oink though.  In the time, it was a decent game.  We have moved past such things though.  Such a game would be suitable in a mini-game compilation today.

Nintendo delays games so much they have barely anything out there too keep the WiiU up

good job Nintendo!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
oldschoolfool said:
Gamerace said:
While there's some truth to what's he's saying these arguments are seriously flawed.

The biggest problem is the cost to make a AAA game. It's too much. If you spend a whack of $$$ to make one (and nowadays AAs just don't sell - ask THQ) and it misses the mark, it seriously hurts, then the publisher is trying to get the next game out ASAP so recoop. Too many misses, and you're going to be out of business. We've seen this a lot this gen. Both smaller companies and studios of bigger companies that have a miss or two and their gone - even if they were forced to rush their game out. So in that respect, yes he's right and EA is a good example of a company trying to hurry games out, desperate for a hit. And really now that they've sullied KoToR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dead Space, Sims, SimCity, Metal of Honor about all that's left is Battlefield (and of course EA Sports).

Compound that with even more expensive (even if it's not much more, it's still more) development costs for PS4/720 and mobile (and indie PC) games producing a ton of great (and an even greater ton of not so great) games with a lot more innovation and diversity than what consoles have - taken a progressively bigger share of the pie (Nintendo is feeling it most ATM) and it all spells trouble.

But I don't see a crash. More of a transition into a new form. Like the music industry has done. CD's are dying but the music industry lives on.

I can see a gaming console crash,for those exact reasons. Other then smart phones and tablets,what will the new form be? It's really hard 2 say.

I forsee I device or service that allows you to go from playing games from your TV to your tablet (or similar gaming device like Wikipad) back to your tv to your
smartphone to your PC all seemlessly.   Sony said it themselves, 'The livingroom is no longer the center of the [gaming] universe, the gamer is.'  This is already foreshadowed by WiiU, PS4's remote play via Vita, Smartglass, Beyond's use of tablet, and Bluestacks (Android games on non-Android devices).   Games, like music and movies will be playable on any device.

richardhutnik said:
silicon said:

Trolling consists of dropping inflamatory comments to get a forum stirred up, posting stuff you don't believe, just to get a reaction.  In short, you are doing prank postings.  This is a different animal.  It can be seen as an inflamatory opinion piece, which is different.  Not sure why the shot at Oink though.  In the time, it was a decent game.  We have moved past such things though.  Such a game would be suitable in a mini-game compilation today.

Haha ok, inflamatory opinion piece. 

silicon said:
richardhutnik said:
silicon said:

Haha ok, inflamatory opinion piece. 

Effect on forums is usually similar.  The difference is the intention of the writer.  The writer of an inflamatory opinion piece isn't trying to win points, or tick people off.  They are just expressing their opinion and don't care what people think.  

It was pretty good up until he said sony would block games.

yes, and denying is the first step to it! by the time people realize that it will be too late.