By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How would you feel if FFXV used an evolved Active Dimension Battle (ADB)?

Tagged games:

How would you feel if FFXV used an evolved Active Dimension Battle (ADB)?

Happy. ADB is the best ba... 28 43.75%

Optimistc. ADB had flaws ... 14 21.88%

Pessimistic. There's no ... 6 9.38%

Upset. ADB is the worst b... 15 23.44%

Total:63
Galvanizer said:

Here's an example of how ADB can easily be modified to act like a seamless ATB:

1) When you see an enemy you want to fight, you press X to initiate the battle. The battle menu then automatically comes up.

So you only get into battles when you want? No monster can surprise you?

I don't think that's a good idea.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Galvanizer said:

1) When you see an enemy you want to fight, you press X to initiate the battle. The battle menu then automatically comes up.

In Xenoblade some monsters had a "vision" tag so if they saw you they would chase you around.

Other monsters like herbivores would only fight if you attacked them 1st.

Seriously though a more enhanced version of Xenoblade's ADB system would do wonders.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Galvanizer said:

2) When the battle menu comes up, the ATB gauges for the all party members start filling just like in FFV through FFIX.

3) Once a characters ATB gauge is filled, they automatically become the party leader and you choose their commands. You can also move them around the field for a limited time before you must choose their command. For example, you may try and run behind an enemy and then do an 'Attack'. We all know that back attacks in FF do double damage.

4) Once that characters done their command, their ATB gauge resets and the party leader control instantly switches to the next character whose ATB gauge is full. If none of the other characters ATB gauges are full yet, the game waits for the next available ATB gauge to fill while enemies can still attack you.

5) Once another ATB gauge is full, that new character automatically becomes the party leader and you can then move them around and enter a command for them.

6) Rinse and repeat until the battle is over.

You might be on to something here. I'd give a game like this a try.

Signature goes here!

I just want a system like they had in the old days... Pre-FFX.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

ADB is good but has it's issues, while FFXII is a fantastic game (currently replaying it) the random encounter is one of the things that I like in FF games. The surprise of a Malboro and you crapping yourself trying to run before Bad Breath is something missed at times. Yet the game didn't feel like Final Fantasy to me.

Any advancement in the FF series should be graphically and story based, while sticking to FF traditional gameplay features. FFXII had a fantastic story, FFXIII was jibberish.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Moonhero said:
I just want a system like they had in the old days... Pre-FFX.

This, though it's really unlikely.

A system like Xenoblade or Grandia had, would be also really cool. I really disliked all of the battle system after FFX, hope they can turn it into the better.

ADB in Xenoblade is great, though my favorite rpg combat to date was probably FFX. I liked controlling all characters and being able to quickly switch them in and out to deal with certain situations. I find in Xenoblade I don't use some of the secondary characters as much as I would like because I like always having the tank and the healer in the lineup. I would love it if I could swap in a swordsman or buffer to quickly dispatch a specific foe. If it was a 4-character party it would be better because then you could use that fourth spot for some creativity.

I do like seemless battles and movement in the battle scene and other features brought in from MMOs starting with FFXII. I think a great solution, on Wii U at least, would be to take Xenoblade's system and add touchscreen controls for secondary party members. Simply tap the screen to execute a skill. They would move and auto-attack on their own, but you would tap the screen to heal or use a spell. Your main character controlled by dual analogue and buttons. I think X may use this - as well as multiplayer - which could be very exciting.

As far as FFXV goes, I'm sure it will be either PS4 exclusive or multiplat so touchscreen options seem unlikely. But I would prefer ADB over the garbage that was FFXIII. I did not enjoy that combat at all.

Galvanizer said:

2) When the battle menu comes up, the ATB gauges for the all party members start filling just like in FFV through FFIX.

3) Once a characters ATB gauge is filled, they automatically become the party leader and you choose their commands. You can also move them around the field for a limited time before you must choose their command. For example, you may try and run behind an enemy and then do an 'Attack'. We all know that back attacks in FF do double damage.

4) Once that characters done their command, their ATB gauge resets and the party leader control instantly switches to the next character whose ATB gauge is full. If none of the other characters ATB gauges are full yet, the game waits for the next available ATB gauge to fill while enemies can still attack you.

5) Once another ATB gauge is full, that new character automatically becomes the party leader and you can then move them around and enter a command for them.

like this idea except no.1)  let the enemy have a feild of vision they rush u if u r in it or u sneak up on them! no pressing x to start fight! and i hate ff12 and ff13 adb or wateva battle system cause i actuall feel asleep during battles from (limited) to not having to press anything !

Galvanizer said:

This sounds a lot like a combination of FFXII's and Eternal Sonata's gameplay. The main difference with this would be that enemies move around at the same time as you (I assume that's what you intended). I think it would be a great idea actually. Might make running away from certain enemies a pain however if you only get to run away when your ATB gauge is completely full.

Hynad said:
Galvanizer said:

I agree. There should be certain enemies that can surprise you and therefore make a battle start automatically.

KylieDog said:
ADB and gambit system rock. FFXII will forever be head, shoulders and even belly above every other FF game.

Yep.