By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How would you feel if FFXV used an evolved Active Dimension Battle (ADB)?

Tagged games:

How would you feel if FFXV used an evolved Active Dimension Battle (ADB)?

Happy. ADB is the best ba... 28 43.75%

Optimistc. ADB had flaws ... 14 21.88%

Pessimistic. There's no ... 6 9.38%

Upset. ADB is the worst b... 15 23.44%

Total:63

What's wrong with good old regular turn based combat? i see more advantages than disadvantages...

Around the Network

Happy since it was the best battle system on a FF game ever. If they fix it's small flaws, perhaps disabling gambits for main character or making combat situations such you need to manually control it sometimes, like on Dragon Age.

I remember when I fought the Behemoth King slightly underleveled on FFXII and had to do an almost even mix of gambits and manual controls the entire time. It was the sweet spot.

I don't mind it. Thought it was okay in FFXII, it's just a pain that it can be so difficult out of the blue as what I'm experiencing with FFVI right now. They tend to keep you on your toes to an annoying degree. You could be kicking everyone over no problem and then progress in the story to get wiped out without warning. They did a decent job preventing that in FFIX but still.

Just wanted to vent. Anyway I'd be cool with it, though a good turned based ATB has always been enjoyable to me.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

haxxiy said:
Happy since it was the best battle system on a FF game ever. If they fix it's small flaws, perhaps disabling gambits for main character or making combat situations such you need to manually control it sometimes, like on Dragon Age.

I remember when I fought the Behemoth King slightly underleveled on FFXII and had to do an almost even mix of gambits and manual controls the entire time. It was the sweet spot.

I agree with all of this.

I know this is a little off topic, but i've been wondering. What if the FF reveal at E3 isn't FFXV at all, but rather Codename Fortress? Remember that highly ambitious action games that Square took back from GRIN?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Fortress

It would make sense if they plan on using the FF12 director.

Around the Network
Wagram said:

I know this is a little off topic, but i've been wondering. What if the FF reveal at E3 isn't FFXV at all, but rather Codename Fortress? Remember that highly ambitious action games that Square took back from GRIN?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Fortress

It would make sense if they plan on using the FF12 director.

It's a possibilty, but I doubt it. Whatever FF game they're making is going to use Luminous Studio and therefore it's far more likely that it will be a mainline FF.

i would rather have the traditional ATB from FF4-FF9 or the CTB from FF10.

In my Opinion FF12 and Xenoblade would have been even better games if they had Turnbased battles.

FF XV will certainly be an open (or semi open) world game, due to story driven stuff being done to death this gen and open world games' popularity like skyrim skyrocketing. So traditional ATM is unlikely.

I'm a huge fan of FF XII, ADB and the gambit system. Just like they tried to make an evolved version of FF X's ATM with FF XIII's battle system, it is a possibility that they will likewise try to make built upon FF XII's battle system with FF XV.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
FF XV will certainly be an open (or semi open) world game, due to story driven stuff being done to death this gen and open world games' popularity like skyrim skyrocketing. So traditional ATM is unlikely.

I'm a huge fan of FF XII, ADB and the gambit system. Just like they tried to make an evolved version of FF X's ATM with FF XIII's battle system, it is a possibility that they will likewise try to make built upon FF XII's battle system with FF XV.

I agree. Also, the FFXIV battle system is an evolved version of FFXI. It seems natural that the FFXII battle system will evolve in another FF game.

Here's an example of how ADB can easily be modified to act like a seamless ATB:

1) When you see an enemy you want to fight, you press X to initiate the battle. The battle menu then automatically comes up.

2) When the battle menu comes up, the ATB gauges for the all party members start filling just like in FFV through FFIX.

3) Once a characters ATB gauge is filled, they automatically become the party leader and you choose their commands. You can also move them around the field for a limited time before you must choose their command. For example, you may try and run behind an enemy and then do an 'Attack'. We all know that back attacks in FF do double damage.

4) Once that characters done their command, their ATB gauge resets and the party leader control instantly switches to the next character whose ATB gauge is full. If none of the other characters ATB gauges are full yet, the game waits for the next available ATB gauge to fill while enemies can still attack you.

5) Once another ATB gauge is full, that new character automatically becomes the party leader and you can then move them around and enter a command for them.

6) Rinse and repeat until the battle is over.