By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - In what gen has Nintendo been more innovative?

For controls it was the 7th, for sure.

For software, it was undoubtedly the 3rd. So many legendary IPs were born then, so it goes without saying.

Around the Network

The 3rd gen. That's when Mario, Zelda and Metroid were CREATED. Everything else since then software wise, has had that template to work from so it's not even close.

spurgeonryan said:
SNES was not too shabby when it came to software as well. Plus the Wii had a software rennaissance if you will? Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Metroid, etc. Wii sports. Then the DS. Can we even begin to list all the software?

True but can we credit that to Nintendo?

As for software, SNES was great. We got F-Zero (a new IP at the time),  all the trusty 3rd party support (not Nintendo's doing but still great), Donkey Kong Country (huge revolution at the time), Super Mario Kart (another fantastic new IP), the unforgettable aLttP, starfox and the FX chip. Yeah, it was an awesome time to be a gamer back then.

The Wii was good, it was a renaissance that's true after the cube left a sour taste in gamers mouth. Mind you the cube was more revolutionary than the Wii from a game design point of view (Luigi's Mansion, Mario Sunshine, Double-Dash, Wind Waker, lots of trend-breaking games).

N64 was the best gen for games on Nintendo platform... the best and more innovative controller too.

Ohhh God... how I miss the N64 "best ever" controller.

3rd gen. Their innovations literally gave birth to the 2nd coming of vidyagames.

2nd I'd have to say 6th gen in terms of software innovation and the DS.

7th gen comes in 3rd for me.

EDIT:Wait DS is 7th gen?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

4th gen for sure, Nintendo changed the world with its Gameboy.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Unpopular opinion, but I fully believe it was 6th gen/Cube.

Wii was not really innovative IMO, it was a gimmick, it never really benefited gameplay that much.

Gamecube innovated in software, where it actually matters.

Say what you want about Super Mario Sunshine, but it is unique, and tried something new.

Wind Waker innovated in terms of style, and scope. Really under appreciated for what it brought to the tabl.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 are the best 3D metroidvania games out there, they mastered the formula by trying something new, FP Adventure.

Pikmin 1 and 2 are the only games of their kind, really an incredibly unique concept, gameplay, visuals, everything.

Melee is the definitive smash bros game, it defined the series. Sure the concept wasn't new, but this time it was actually fully realized.

Another overlooked innovation of the gamecube was it's face button layout. This thing feels tailored to every one of Nintendo's games. Seriously, I don't know why they abandoned this, it feels just so perfect.

Otakumegane said:

3rd gen. Their innovations literally gave birth to the 2nd coming of vidyagames.

2nd I'd have to say 6th gen in terms of software innovation and the DS.

7th gen comes in 3rd for me.

EDIT:Wait DS is 7th gen?

Yes, I believe GBA is considered 6th gen because it launched alongside the GameCube/PS2/Xbox era of consoles. It gets confusing because Nintendo didn't really have an official 5th gen handheld, just the Game Boy Color.

The 3rd gen for developing the NES, a console with wonderful new controllers and, most importantly, software that was a big part of making home gaming a permanent form of entertainment after the video game crash of '83.

Next is the 7th gen, as it's pretty hard to argue with what the DS and the Wii brought to gaming with touch and motion controls, respectively.

Finally, I'd say third place goes to the 5th gen with N64, simply because of the controller (analogue stick, rumble) and mastering Z-axis gaming/cameras with Super Mario 64.

the two gens you couldn't come up with examples in innovation were my two favorites. snes is still my favorite console ever.