By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Have an Excellent Idea For a Story in a Mario Game

BaldrSkies said:

The number of people not realizing this is basically Super Mario Sunshine disturbs me.

Either that or sarcasm~

I haven't seen anyone I perceived to be not sarcastic yet in this thread.

Around the Network
BaldrSkies said:

The number of people not realizing this is basically Super Mario Sunshine disturbs me.

Either that or sarcasm~

The only one I can think of is Pokoko. Or maybe he's just using extreme sarcasm. 

How about Mario the Italian plumber travels back in time for some reason and there he's got a heartbreaking decision to make about whether his best friend lives ... or dies.

His best friend is a talking pie.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

BaldrSkies said:

Either that or sarcasm~

I...I didn't realize it until I read your message.

Dammit T_T

NintendoPie said:
BaldrSkies said:

Either that or sarcasm~

The only one I can think of is Pokoko. Or maybe he's just using extreme sarcasm. 

Mostly sarcasm mixed with a bit of reverse sarcasm.  I knew what the OP was doing, though I had no idea what game he was talking about.  Very disappointed that the OP fibbed about the "plane crash", however.  "Skidded a few feet short" is not "almost killed everyone".  I was hoping for at least a small explosion.

Still, why should anyone necessarily be familiar with Mario Sunshine?

Also, I was serious about Alundra.

Around the Network
pokoko said:

Mostly sarcasm mixed with a bit of reverse sarcasm.  I knew what the OP was doing, though I had no idea what game he was talking about.  Very disappointed that the OP fibbed about the "plane crash", however.  "Skidded a few feet short" is not "almost killed everyone".  I was hoping for at least a small explosion.

Because Mario Sunshine is a great game. If you aren't familiar with it, you are doing yourself a disfavor.

BaldrSkies said:

Either that or sarcasm~

I know I played Sunshine one time at my cousins and even I get the joke.  Hell I didn't even see the intro when I played!

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

As I already said, if you can't do a story right, just don't do one, keep it simple.

happydolphin said:

You don't know where I'm coming from because you're not reading my posts. In the "Hypocrisy" thread, I mentioned that 

'Whether Nintendo applies this to NSMB or not, what mostly matters to me is that they at least are aware of the direction they took for NSMB to the detriment of style, consciously, at least it gives me piece of mind that they could pull it off if they wanted to, but simply opted not to in favor of a more sound business direction to them. But in the long run it's my opinion that money and safe business directions would only take them so far in face of emerging competition. (this kind of answers your question the_dengle).'

Ultimately, if Nintendo _chooses_ to have a lame story, at least it was intentional. I was wondering if it was something they simply couldn't help but doing, and if they couldn't have the same success for NSMB with something better, period. And Gunman Clive I thought was a good example of a decent "story". Actually there is no story, and if a dev can't make a proper story, that's how it should be. Cut the fat and keep it simple.

For the record, I absolutely hated the storyline in Sunshine. Cheesy as can be.

NintendoPie said:
pokoko said:

Because Mario Sunshine is a great game. If you aren't familiar with it, you are doing yourself a disfavor.

There are lots of great games that neither one of us has played, I'm sure.  I could probably name some that you're not familiar with.  I see no point in assuming that everyone has played everything, or holding it against them if they haven't.

pokoko said:

There are lots of great games that neither one of us has played, I'm sure.  I could probably name some that you're not familiar with.  I see no point in assuming that everyone has played everything, or holding it against them if they haven't.

I don't know how you took that away from my reply to you. I was almost being sarcastic in the fact that you would be doing yourself a disfavor. I'm not holding this against you, at all.