By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gunman Clive, the answer to all my pleas

Well, you all know the gripes I had with NSMB throughout last year, it's a secret to noone.

The issues I had with the series were that

1) It was too expensive respective to its cost.

2) It used themes that were uninspired.

3) Its story was abysmal.

4) It basically had very few surprises.

Enter Gunman Clive.

With interesting bosses, great music, simplistic yet stylistic design, fluid animation, excellent platformer physics and a true nostalgia trip to what made games like Megaman awesome as they are, the game is a diamond in the rough.

Of course, the game is short. As much as it's great for casual gamers, it will leave long game afficionados a bit of a taste for more.  On the flipside, the game is priced at a very reasonable 2$! Yup, that's 2$ on the e-shop.

And, well, one of my favorite parts... the music is just great, and totally megaman-ish.

To any megaman and mario fans out there, give this game a look.

Around the Network

Whoa! I'm buying this one tonight. $2

This was the first game i bought off e-shop and i must say for 2 bucks, its a must have game. Pretty hard at sometimes but worth every penny. I don't know how long it is since i haven't put much time into since Mario 3d Land/Mario Kart is taking most of my time but you won't be disappointed imo

RolStoppable said:
I watched the trailer of this game when it was put on the eShop and decided that €2 is too expensive for the displayed physics and gameplay. This is no Mega Man. This is no Mighty Switch Force. This isn't even a Mutant Mudds.

So how long is it?

About half an hour. It's actually not bad for its price, just don't expect it to be anything more than an average 2D platformer. The quality is better than most indie games, and each stage tends to be unique, although the cost to this breadth is a lack of depth.

RolStoppable said:
I watched the trailer of this game when it was put on the eShop and decided that €2 is too expensive for the displayed physics and gameplay. This is no Mega Man. This is no Mighty Switch Force. This isn't even a Mutant Mudds.

So how long is it?

It is really similar to megaman in terms of physics, and even gameplay (minus the power-ups and sliding). It's a tad slower, but in terms of shooting and platforming it's pretty similar you'll feel it as you play it for a few minutes.

It's not long I beat it in 2 sittings. But there are 3 characters to play it with, one of them was a fun challenge. In total it took me 3 hours to beat the game once on normal and twice on hard with the two other characters.

But for 2 bucks, it's a good value and it was fun. I won't spoil it for you but there's a 3rd character that unlocks after you beat the game on normal and it's pretty tough (not exceedingly but it's tough in a fun way).

I had seen some screens too before playing it but the game is better than it looks.

But I know you like a challenge so I wouldn't want you to be disappointed. This isn't a super-tough game, the challenge is mild, not easy but not hard.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

So my assessment was right. And yes, I could see that it is better than most indie games, but we both know that this doesn't set the bar high.

It's not half an hour though. If you take the time to play the game in at least two difficulties/characters it should take you a little under two hours.

It's short but it's 2$.

The game changes up a bit as you go along and that's one thing I liked, certainly something Nintendo could/should take cues on imho when it comes to its NSMB franchise (or to any franchise for that matter). In terms of gameplay it is decent, but it really shines in its presentation. 

RAcCoOnErOuS said:
This was the first game i bought off e-shop and i must say for 2 bucks, its a must have game. Pretty hard at sometimes but worth every penny. I don't know how long it is since i haven't put much time into since Mario 3d Land/Mario Kart is taking most of my time but you won't be disappointed imo

You liked it too hey? What did you think of some of the bosses and the music? Cool hey? The train boss I thought was a really neat concept.

Did you notice the sound of Clive's sabots as he lands? Little details like that get me so good. Tiny details like that, even the barely noticeable sounds. The graphics were good too, the levels offered perspective in all directions (platforms would appear as if looking up at them or down at them depending on Clive's position on the screen with respect to the platform).

happydolphin said:

The game changes up a bit as you go along and that's one thing I liked, certainly something Nintendo could/should take cues on imho when it comes to its NSMB franchise (or to any franchise for that matter). In terms of gameplay it is decent, but it really shines in its presentation. 

Oh dear, not again. -_-

morenoingrato said:

Oh dear, not again. -_-

Yup, again, you've brought your depressive attitude in a perfectly honest thread.

happydolphin said:
morenoingrato said:

Oh dear, not again. -_-

Yup, again, you've brought your depressive attitude in a perfectly honest thread.

WHY on Earth would Nintendo change a perfectly fine formula, adored by millions that is also very lucrative to catter to YOUR personal preference? This has always been the issue, and as always, you have never answered with an objective and rational response.