By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Wii become the rpg console of the gen? (opinions)

I have been wondering about this. Wii is getting so many rpgs that could be potentially blockbusters and many that are guaranteed! (monster hunter 3) The rpgs are: Rygar Fragile Project O Dragon Quest Swords Monster Hunter 3(duh!!!) and there are more than that.(i haven't been keeping up lately with all the latest news.) If i'm not mistaken, the consoles with the most rpgs usually win the wars right? i think the wii is ready! (opinions welcome.)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
Around the Network

Yes and no ...

The popularity of the Wii (in particular in Japan), and the lack of one of the key RPG franchises (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest) gives a lot of third party publishers an ideal platform to push their RPG franchises which have failed to find a wide audience.

I think that Wii will definitely become the RPG gamer's choice. Square-Enix, arguably the biggest developer of RPGs, has signaled that they will begin to move toward the Wii much more. Eventually, almost all 3rd party RPGs will jump ship to the Wii. I think that Wii will soon be given its first RPG that sells well in all regions, Kingdom Hearts. Once it captures a lot of RPGs, it will erase the PS3's only advantage.

...im gonna say no based on the fact you only listed 5 and also...nothing up there i would personally play....and im pretty mainstream....but ehhh,come to think about it the 360 and ps3 are lacking in good rpgs at the moment,but the ps3 has FFXIII and White Knight chronicles...and Folklore....which all look really good....but still too early to tell i say

Yes.

Dragon quest X, KH 3, Earthbound and Pokemon RPG seals the deal :O)

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Around the Network

too early to tell, if the major rpgs like final fantasy make thier way over (proper games not spinoffs) then yes. without FF and dragon quest then it will not be the king of rpgs

@damstr8

ff13 is the only guaranteed blockbuster out of the ones you listed.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

Either way, Nintendo is going to get a lot of RPGs on one of their systems. The DS got a lot of RPG support promised during the interim phase of the console generations, so if the Wii doesn't end up being the choice system for RPGs, the DS will be. Also, that list appears to have ignored the Tales series, which admittedly has never been a huge success compared to the likes of DQ and FF, but is certainly an underground hit in Japan (and occasionally in the US, when the console a Tales game is released on isn't over-saturated with good RPGs).

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

i think that wiis success in japan will make it the home of rpg's

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Well even it is not the RPG platform on the Gen, it will certainly not be lacking in that department lack the 64 and GC...

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut