16,582 31,127 77,572 132,502
32,390 47,224 24,793 128,482
50,715 26,174 387 83,500
5,027 8,295 60,897 82,114
9,170 6,982 9,712 27,978
501 1,601 11,277 21,793
8,775 6,488 1,759 18,855
11,163 5,758 101 18,214

Vita actually outsold the 360 ww this week, it sold over 62K in Japan, not counting it's probably undertracked in NA too. PS3 may have also outsold 3DS ww too, most likely undertracked everywhere except Japan.

Around the Network
mutantclown said:
bananaking21 said:

Weekly Hardware Chart 02nd March 2013

PlatformN. AmericaEuropeJapanGlobal
50,715 26,174 387 83,500
9,170 6,982 9,712 27,978
501 1,601 11,277 21,793
8,775 6,488 1,759 18,855
11,163 5,758 101 18,214

Vita actually outsold the 360 ww this week, it sold over 62K in Japan, not counting it's probably undertracked in NA too. PS3 may have also outsold 3DS ww too, most likely undertracked everywhere except Japan.

How do you know that Vita is undertracked in NA?

I hope Nintendo release the Wii succesor soon. Those numbers of the new addon are bad.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

tbone51 said:

But Does it win if you only count 1st party?

I don't know but Published by Sony or Microsoft...

PS3: 29 games (all first/second-party)
360: 29 games (20 first-party + 9 published)

PS. Gears and Mass Effect are published by Microsoft but not first-party.

Edit - Added the first-party games only.

pezus said:

:O Didn't realize it was close to a million. Pretty cool. Will Rising be a million seller before GoW: A?

I think GoW will be a million seller in the launch week ... Rising needs more five or more weeks.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
VGKing said:

No, it's not a big game. That's the problem. Vita has no AAA games.

I find it funny how you keep using 3DS to compare Vita sales and decide if they're good or not. LOL. Not only is this a Nintendo handheld, but it is dominating the Japanese market. Expecting Vita to match, or worse, surpass the 3DS, is extremely unrealstic. The demand for the PSP was always lower than the DS. The demand for Vita will always be lower than the 3DS. 

60k is impressive for a "dead" handheld with no major 3rd party Japanese support. No Monster Hunter, No Mario, No Pokemon, No Final Fantasy, No Resident Evil...etc..etc.(Basically all the major Japanese IP aren't on the Vita, but they are on the 3DS)

In the last 3, maybe 4(?) Years... The PSP outsold the DS on a regular basis in Japan.

60k would be impressive, if you really thought it was dead. I didnt.

Like it or not, the 3DS is the Vita's direct competitor. They will be compared. Thats that. If you dont like it, tough shit. Thats just the way it is.

I never said you shouldn't compare them, I said you shouldn't expect Vita to to outsell the 3DS. Vita doesn't need to outsell the 3DS to be successful. If the Vita keeps selling at the rate it sold this week....I'd say that would be great. But sales will drop over the next few weeks. You need to have realistic expectations for Vita. it's first year was handled horribly and it will have a tough time recovering from that, if it ever.

VGKing said:

I never said you shouldn't compare them, I said you shouldn't expect Vita to to outsell the 3DS. Vita doesn't need to outsell the 3DS to be successful. If the Vita keeps selling at the rate it sold this week....I'd say that would be great. But sales will drop over the next few weeks. You need to have realistic expectations for Vita. it's first year was handled horribly and it will have a tough time recovering from that, if it ever.

"I find it funny how you keep using 3DS to compare Vita sales and decide if they're good or not. LOL"

That kinda sounds like youre saying they shouldnt be compared...

Anyway. Why on Earth shouldnt we expect the Vita to at least match 3DS numbers on the week of a significant Vita pricecut/release? Over a period of 2-3 Months, sure. We shouldnt expect that... But not even getting close on pricecut week is rubbish.

mutantclown said:
bananaking21 said:

Weekly Hardware Chart 02nd March 2013

PlatformN. AmericaEuropeJapanGlobal
50,715 26,174 387 83,500
9,170 6,982 9,712 27,978
501 1,601 11,277 21,793
8,775 6,488 1,759 18,855
11,163 5,758 101 18,214

3DS is also probably heavily undertracked.

Carl2291 said:
VGKing said:

"I find it funny how you keep using 3DS to compare Vita sales and decide if they're good or not. LOL"

That kinda sounds like youre saying they shouldnt be compared...

Anyway. Why on Earth shouldnt we expect the Vita to at least match 3DS numbers on the week of a significant Vita pricecut/release? Over a period of 2-3 Months, sure. We shouldnt expect that... But not even getting close on pricecut week is rubbish.

Compare whatever you want, but keep your expectations realistic. Nintendo handhelds have always dominated the competition. PSP was the only one that survived and that was becasue of Monster Hunter, something that Nintendo now has exclusively on the 3DS. If Vita ever recovers from this horrible launch, it will be years from now. It wont' happen overnight like you keep expecting it too.

it did get close this week btw.

3DS = 77k
Vita = 60k

This is as close as Vita has been to 3DS sales in like the past year. It's especially good considering there's no significant release this week.(I don't consider the 2 releases from this week system sellers). But you keep saying the price cut should have pushed Vita sales much more so I guess you're disappointed. I can't change your opininion so let's move on.

Actually it is far more likely that the Vita is being over tracked in North America then it is being under tracked. The reasoning being fairly simple. This site probable treats market penetration as a constant. Rather then a variable, and that is fine for most everything. If a store sells game console and games. They undoubtedly carry Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo consoles on their shelves. Those things are just assumed to have maximum exposure to the market. That isn't the case with the Vita, and it hasn't been the case for quite some time.

The reality is that a lot of retailers don't sell the product line anymore, or are in the process of discontinuing the product line in the near future. Usually they are just waiting to sell their last couple units, and have no intention at all of replacing them. So as a matter of deductive logic. The longer things go on the fewer the sales should in fact be for the portable.

The majority of retail sales still take place at physical locations, and if it just isn't available in a lot of places those sales just cannot take place. I am not suggesting that the product cannot be acquired through a little extra driving time, or that people cannot order the device online. Just that there are now even more obstacles between them, and a purchase. First they have to put more effort into acquiring one, and second the unavailability itself reflects very poorly on the product.

I suspect the reason Sony isn't dropping the price of the product in North America. Is that they don't want to clearance their own product out of stores. It is kind of a vicious circle they have worked themselves into in this particular market. Where their primary contact with consumers is big box retailers. They need extraordinary software sales to justify the Vita to these retailers, but they cannot get those sales unless they sell more hardware. If they reduce the price of the Vita. These retailers will take the opportunity to bail on the platform.

I honestly don't see how Sony can extricate themselves from this predicament. A little voice in the back of my head is telling me maybe they have no intention of staying regardless. Maybe the reason they are maintaining the price point is that they know they can't survive, and want to eek out of every penny they can before they drop out. I have said it before, and I still think I am right about this. Sony sailed right past the point of no return at least in the American marketplace. They needed a price cut for the Vita in the fall of last year.