By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global 2nd March Up

Don't answer this VGKing guy, he is the worst since that guy with the shark avatar

Around the Network

What did Nintendo do to get Europe to buy the 3DS all of the sudden? Whatever it is, they need to do that with NA.

VGKing said:
Carl2291 said:
VGKing said:

Look at Vita sales last week, now look at Vita sales this week. That's a big increase that needs to be celebrated. Vita has been called dead for months now and at least in one region, it is selling in reasonable amounts. Yes it is selling lower than the 3DS, but that is expected. No one is/was expecting Vita to ousell the 3DS IN ANY REGION.

Are you implying that this Vita price cut was supposed to increase sales past 100k or something? Was there some huge AAA game releasing last week as well? That answer to both of these is NO. I'm sure sales for this week are within Sony's expectations expetations. I know they blew away mine.

Whats your point? Sales jumped from 28k WW to 82k WW after a significant pricecut in the handheld region. It also had a new game release that sold 120k.

It isnt selling reasonable amounts. It sold alright, in the week of a pricecut. Theres a long way to go yet. If sales stay high for ~8 Weeks and onwards... THEN it will be something to "celebrate". Sales increasing to 60k in Japan for one week is a drop in the ocean. Yeah, ~80k in JP would have been good. 60k is the minimum Id take it. Hoping for anything less than that would be beyond bad. If 60k "blew away" your expectations, then its quite obvious that you set them low to avoid disappointment.

Now tell me what damage control was there.

Ok, first of all there isn't any game that sold 120k. There is a game that sold 90k though, it is some niche pervy type of game. System seller? AAA? NOPE.
The other notable release that week was Phantasy Star Online 2....a game that is available to download for free. The game sold 61k. This is probably the highest profile release for the Vita in months, but it's no Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy. I dont' know how high your expectations were for Vita, but mine were about 40k. 

So maybe you are the one who has these high expectations of a handheld that has been selling horribly for the past year. A price cut won't magically save the system. It needs a steady stream of games.(Which it is getting btw). Japan may be THE region for portable gaming, but it is being dominated by the 3DS. Again, if you were expecting Vita to outsell the 3DS(which just had Dragon Quest VII released a few weeks ago) you have your expectations way too high. Price may have been a barrier for Vita, but it still needs high profile games.  

Yes my expectations were low, but they're also realistic. Maybe that is because I've been disappointed every single week for the past year. The 3DS has Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Mario...etc. There is no way Vita can compete with that with a simple price cut. It will take a long time before the Vita's install base and game library is big enough for it to meet expectations from people like you. It will take years though, it wont' happen overnight. So yes, the fact that Vita got so close to 3DS sales this week is impressive in my eyes.

i just read the beginning of your post and i would just like to point out that it did infact sell 120K, 90K were retail and the rest were digital.

NintendoPie said:
What did Nintendo do to get Europe to buy the 3DS all of the sudden? Whatever it is, they need to do that with NA. the WiiU

adjusted that a bit

bananaking21 said:
NintendoPie said:
What did Nintendo do to get Europe to buy the 3DS all of the sudden? Whatever it is, they need to do that with NA. the WiiU

adjusted that a bit

What's the Wii U? Some type of Wii peripheral?

Around the Network
Dodece said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
Dodece said:
For the millionth time it isn't the lack of games that is hurting the Wii U. The problem is that the console is just plain poorly designed. Which is exacerbated by the fact that Nintendo spent a good part of last generation alienating their core fan base, and actually losing the casual player base they originally pioneered. So there aren't a lot of customers left that might overlook the shortcomings of the consoles hardware and operating system.

A few games simply aren't going to redress this public perception. Nintendo would need a lot of high quality games, and more importantly not all of them catering to the same demographic. You know I have to say it even floating the suggestion that a fucking Lego game is going to help turn sales around. Has to be most absurd thing I have heard in quite some time. I don't care how desperate you are for some ray of hope. This game is not a system seller. No Lego game is a system seller, and there have been over a hundred of them made.

Monster Hunter might help in Japan, but I am seeing absolutely nothing with a firm release date that can even give Nintendo a foundation in the West. The console is just plain running out of momentum. The hardware isn't going to hold up sales until enough software arrives, and if the console bottoms out before that software gets here it will be way too late.

If you have to repeat yourself a million times you might as well stop because it would appear those to whom you're talking don't value your opinion. I certainly question your understanding of the industry when you say a lack of games is not hurting a machine that people buy to play games.

I haven't even begun yet, and I am going to keep at it until the stubborn refusal of some to acknowledge the truth falls apart. In the end it always does. This isn't my first time to this particular rodeo. Sony fans kept blaming the PS3s poor early sales on the lack of enough great games. So they constantly said that the sales would pick up when this game, or that game would come out. Myself among others kept hounding the point that it was a matter of the price tag. Not only did it turn out that we were right, but we eventually got the Sony fans to admit it to themselves.

Now you would be hard pressed to find a Sony fan on these forums that doesn't freely admit that price is a major concern when it comes to the purchase of any console. They didn't start there, but had to be dragged there kicking and screaming the whole way. Nobody said it wasn't a grueling ordeal to break dogmatic propoganda. The mountain may be steep, but it can be climbed. Why do it you might ask. Why does anyone bother to argue a point on these forums, because it is a challenge, and a game in itself.

I understand enough to know that a console that is backwards compatible, and launched with over thirty games. Cannot possibly be starved for games less then four months after it launched. Sales went right off the cliff at the start of January. When all of those games should have been fresh in the minds of consumers. So it cannot possibly be the lack of games at fault. The games weren't lacking so the only logical conclusion is that the issue is with the hardware. Every thing else is just plain accounted for.

Would you care to profer up another poor excuse. By the way you valued my opinion enough to respond to what I had to say on the subject. Alll I will say on that is it seems like a illogical contradiction.

i for one hope you never give up the good fight

Decent week for PSV..

bananaking21 said:
VGKing said:
Carl2291 said:
VGKing said:

Look at Vita sales last week, now look at Vita sales this week. That's a big increase that needs to be celebrated. Vita has been called dead for months now and at least in one region, it is selling in reasonable amounts. Yes it is selling lower than the 3DS, but that is expected. No one is/was expecting Vita to ousell the 3DS IN ANY REGION.

Are you implying that this Vita price cut was supposed to increase sales past 100k or something? Was there some huge AAA game releasing last week as well? That answer to both of these is NO. I'm sure sales for this week are within Sony's expectations expetations. I know they blew away mine.

Whats your point? Sales jumped from 28k WW to 82k WW after a significant pricecut in the handheld region. It also had a new game release that sold 120k.

It isnt selling reasonable amounts. It sold alright, in the week of a pricecut. Theres a long way to go yet. If sales stay high for ~8 Weeks and onwards... THEN it will be something to "celebrate". Sales increasing to 60k in Japan for one week is a drop in the ocean. Yeah, ~80k in JP would have been good. 60k is the minimum Id take it. Hoping for anything less than that would be beyond bad. If 60k "blew away" your expectations, then its quite obvious that you set them low to avoid disappointment.

Now tell me what damage control was there.

Ok, first of all there isn't any game that sold 120k. There is a game that sold 90k though, it is some niche pervy type of game. System seller? AAA? NOPE.
The other notable release that week was Phantasy Star Online 2....a game that is available to download for free. The game sold 61k. This is probably the highest profile release for the Vita in months, but it's no Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy. I dont' know how high your expectations were for Vita, but mine were about 40k. 

So maybe you are the one who has these high expectations of a handheld that has been selling horribly for the past year. A price cut won't magically save the system. It needs a steady stream of games.(Which it is getting btw). Japan may be THE region for portable gaming, but it is being dominated by the 3DS. Again, if you were expecting Vita to outsell the 3DS(which just had Dragon Quest VII released a few weeks ago) you have your expectations way too high. Price may have been a barrier for Vita, but it still needs high profile games.  

Yes my expectations were low, but they're also realistic. Maybe that is because I've been disappointed every single week for the past year. The 3DS has Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Mario...etc. There is no way Vita can compete with that with a simple price cut. It will take a long time before the Vita's install base and game library is big enough for it to meet expectations from people like you. It will take years though, it wont' happen overnight. So yes, the fact that Vita got so close to 3DS sales this week is impressive in my eyes.

i just read the beginning of your post and i would just like to point out that it did infact sell 120K, 90K were retail and the rest were digital.

I didn't know. I only looked at Media Create chart. My point still stands though.

J_Allard said:
I would have thought NBA2K13 would push more than 3 million combined across the HD consoles since it's the only basketball game around. I guess people just love football games way more than other sports. Makes me wonder how well the 2k/Sony baseball games do.

the show on PS3 outsells the 360+PS3 versions of mlb2k combined

As a Vita owner, I agree those numbers are nothing to celebrate. Now, if sales in Japan settle at, say, 25k, then that would be something to be happy about. I don't expect that to happen though.

Vita will never sell well. It may end up selling decent, or sustainable numbers, but not "well". The sooner we accept that and just enjoy the games the better. So far I'm very happy with my niche product.

I recommend WiiU owners to accept this as well and enjoy it like they surely enjoyed GC or N64. WiiU has more chances of "succeeding" than Vita as it's a younger system, but I'd say chances are still pretty low.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.