By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Current Clean Energy Thread

Lingyis said:
also, fusion is not an "emergent" alternative... it's non-existent.

there's a big difference!
Yeah, the ITER project is supposed to be a 30 year project...and there aren't any guaranties that it will lead to something useable.  It will be a looong while (if ever) before we see viable fusion-based power generation.

Around the Network
Lingyis said:
also, fusion is not an "emergent" alternative... it's non-existent.

there's a big difference!

I agree on that. I cannot see any economically working fusion-reactors at the moment. And if I look at the state of the research I doubt it will work economically for the next 20 years.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Lingyis said:
the only thing is that it's expensive. however, with a long-term view, the return is almost assured. the problem is that it's too long-term for most investors to be interested in, and which is why gov'ts need to step in. for western companies, gov'ts need to work with financial companies to figure out how best to strcrture financing since it doesn't appear they have much public backing.

Did you really read my post? Nuclear energy produces long term costs. But it has no long term benefit, if you made from some uranium or plutonium energy - you have made your revenue and that's it. No long term revenue. And the resources are limited. The Uranium-reserves are limited to few decades at the current level of use. Plutonium is nearly not existant naturally, it is mostly created from Uranium in nuclear plants. So the uranium-resources also limit the plutonium-resources. In what regard that makes a long term investment?

200 years to me is about as long of a long term investment there is.  

the Wii is an epidemic.

Lingyis said:

The point is: You have short term revenues: The energy you sell. This works for the next decades, you say 200 years, I read it is enough for the next 90 years with constant usage. Problem is the long term cost of radioactive waste. That's something for the next thousand years. That's only fine for short timeframes, but on the long term the costs are growing and growing. But that is something the taxpayer has to pay for. And most of it will pay the people in the future, we will pay only a little part of it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Ok, so if nuclear power is so bad, then what alternative do you propose. Remember, the point of the topic was to discuss what technology we have now that is capable of meeting our wide scale needs now.

Witty signature here...

Wii: 14 million by January  I sold myself short

360: 13 million by January I sold microsoft short, but not as bad as Nintendo.

PS3: 6 million by January. If it approaches 8 mil i'll eat crow  Mnn Crow is yummy.

With these results, I've determined that I suck at long term predictions, and will not long term predict anything ever again. Thus spaketh Crono.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Lingyis said:

The point is: You have short term revenues: The energy you sell. This works for the next decades, you say 200 years, I read it is enough for the next 90 years with constant usage. Problem is the long term cost of radioactive waste. That's something for the next thousand years. That's only fine for short timeframes, but on the long term the costs are growing and growing. But that is something the taxpayer has to pay for. And most of it will pay the people in the future, we will pay only a little part of it.

2 things. 1st, i am of the opinion that humans would have a tough time grinding out the next few hundred years. if we can't survive after 200 years, whatever costs after that is moot.

2nd, i believe that technology will advance to the point where the cost of dealing with this radioactive waste is very small, if we haven't actually figured out ways to turn the so-called waste into something useful. in my mind it's kind of like issuing a perpetuity bond, i.e. you pay interest on the bond forever, but after accounting for inflation, the cost eventually becomes negligible.

EDIT: on sustainability, nobody really knows if it's 90 years or 200 years.  but with energy prices constantly on the upswing, exploration is bound to be more and more profitable and more and more reserves will be found.  my guess, based on what i've read and some simple estimations, is that 200 years would be conservative even with expanding energy use.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Crono said:
Ok, so if nuclear power is so bad, then what alternative do you propose. Remember, the point of the topic was to discuss what technology we have now that is capable of meeting our wide scale needs now.

Wind turbines...

[/sarcasm] 

epsilon72 said:
Crono said:

Wind turbines...

except it's never expected to become the primary source of energy generation. 

the Wii is an epidemic.

The real answer is a Fusion reactor. we need to pour money into research of them.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Lingyis said:
epsilon72 said:
Crono said:

Wind turbines...

except it's never expected to become the primary source of energy generation.

I think you missed the point (apparently "custom" HTML tags don't show up..but "custom" bbc code does!)

I am mocking Wind turbines.