By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would it be better for the GAMERS if Nintendo became software only?

Would it be better for the customers if Nintendo became a 3rd party?

Yes, then I wouldn't hav... 167 33.67%

No, because we need more ... 289 58.27%

Yo Mama 40 8.06%

Total:496

Nintendo would become almost irrelevant if they didn't release their own hardware.

Look at Sega, their internal development studios lost most of their passion when Sega abandoned hardware.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Hell no. The quality of the games would decrease because they wouldn't have to sell systems anymore. Also, Nintendo would get less talented developers (currently they are getting some of the best ones out there due to the company being so big) and one of Nintendo's biggest assets in game quality, the integration of hardware and software, would go to waste as well.

no

No. Nintendo's hardware is creative and unique, and differentiates itself where Sony and Microsoft tend to be samey. Gaming would be a much less interesting place today if it wasn't for the Wii remote or the DS's dual screens. I'd be far less interested in the Wii U if it had a PS1-era dual analogue controller.

And competition is good.

curl-6 said:

No. Nintendo's hardware is creative and unique, and differentiates itself where Sony and Microsoft tend to be samey. Gaming would be a much less interesting place today if it wasn't for the Wii remote or the DS's dual screens. I'd be far less interested in the Wii U if it had a PS1-era dual analogue controller.

And competition is good.

I agree with you, this argument might have made more sense during the GameCube era. But even then they were designing their hardware around their software.

Also: there wasn't really anything competing with the GBA.

Around the Network
UltimateUnknown said:
snyps said:
i think somebody secretly dreams about owning a WiiU.

Given that I bought the 3DS pretty much JUST to play Pokemon and don't regret it....I'd probably say yes to some degree lol. Though I'd personally be able to sacrifice everything else in gaming for pokemon if I ever had to choose. So if Nintendo ever made a console and said pokemon is the only thing it'll play, I'd buy that thing in a heartbeat. That is the reason why I made this thread because I KNOW why many hardcore Nintendo fans buy Nintendo consoles just to play a franchise or two. Hence I was saying how nice it would be if we could play everything in one place. But I know it won't happen and a lot of what others have said about competition being a driving factor is actually something that I hadn't considered very strongly. It is quite important.

My intuition was correct for once!

I don't know if I should laugh or cry when people say stuff like

"better quality hardware"

What defines better quality? The most power a console can use? Or the reliability of the system? Time and time again Nintendo has proven they can build stable hardware, whilst it's competition requires replacements.

The only thing we can fault Nintendo on is not the fact they do unique stuff to their consoles but that they try to customise CPUs and GPUs way too much that people wonder what is on those chips lol. it would be easier instead to buy newer ones that are stock and tweak it only.

No it would be better for gamers if Nintendo stayed in the hardware business

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

GuerrillaGamesX2 said:
Yes Yes Yes... and another YES.

Just go SOFTWARE ONLY. Maybe let Sony acquire you or something. I would actually be WILLING to buy your games, as long as they were on a Playstation console. You get playstation quality hardware and nintendo quality first party titles.

I'm not wasting money on a console just to play 2 or 3 mario games. Not going to happen. Thanks nintendo!

So long as it helps Sony then you don't care. K.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

To be honest, after the Wii U, yes. Nintendo got away with releasing an underpowered console with the Wii because it was revolutionary, with the Wii U there is no excuse. I'd rather see Zelda or the next Mario on the PS4/720.