By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter final count $4,188,927.00 - Chris Avellone is in - First video! prerendered backgrounds are in

Guys, I'll have my name on a tombstone (and in the credits) in this game and Wasteland.

I love killing myself.

Around the Network
pezus said:
PullusPardus said:
pezus said:
The fuck?! They're doing this AND Wasteland 2?

they finished Wasteland awhile ago. 

They didn't finish it, though? I mean, the artists and some other guys finished their work but the game is still being worked on as far as I know. Otherwise it would be coming out very soon.

They didn't finish the game, they finish pre-production and its now off with the army of programer to get shit down. This leaves the entire pre-production team with nothing to do so they started working on the next project.

CChaos said:

Not to split hairs, but the world building and thematic elements ARE significant pieces of the setting when it comes to a story or creative endeavour. What the world is like and details like that pretty much define what the setting is in a story.

Honestly though? You're pretty much saying the same thing as me, you're just doing so from a more optimistic view point, that's all. *chuckles* I would like to see the game succeed (which, monetarily so far, it has), I would like to see the same care and detail put into the setting (world building, thematic elements, etc) and I'd like to see people get their wish of a game that is as close as they can come to Planescape: Torment (which, hopefully, will happen).

But all that aside, the Planescape fan in me still would have loved to see another Planescape game, even though it wasn't feasible, just because it was a really amazing setting. That won't change, no matter how many 'close, but not quite' spiritual successor type things there are. But that doesn't mean I won't love to see what they do with this game.

Anyways, looks like they're almost to 2.5m. Good for them and the backers!

They world building and thematic element of Planescape was intrinsic to it, which is why I said I'm please with the inclusion of Monte Cooke, who was one of the principal designer of planescape, not having the same world to play with is fine as long as the world that it exist in is just as alive and unique. I'm already reading into Numenera and the more I see the more positive I feel about this project.

The point I'm trying to make and one I think you understand very clearly is that Planescape Torment was not just a unique product because Planescape had such scope and depth - it was unique because the developer succeeded in translation those depth into the game. This is the Seperation of a 'Planescape' game and a 'Torment' game. The former simply need to set the world of Planescape, the later needs to capture the same magic that was Planescape Torment.

But yea, looking at this second post, I feel that we're definitely on the same wavelength... just... 2 sides of a coin? :)

mibuokami said:
But yea, looking at this second post, I feel that we're definitely on the same wavelength... just... 2 sides of a coin? :)

I'd say so. *chuckles* All in all, if they manage to put in even a fraction of the depth and fun that Planescape had into this new Torment game, then it's going to be a hell of a product, I'm sure. Having folks like Monte Cook should ensure some good creativity. Considering who is involved in it, I'd say they should do fairly well. :)

Honestly? I think my only concern would be if they started trying to incorporate things from fan demands. These guys all seem to work extremely well when left alone to create and I know for a fact that old Planescape fans and what not can be very noisy. heh Hopefully they just let their creativity flow and do what they do best.

Updated streatch goals

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

$3.5M Stretch Goal – Chris Avellone

Our $3.5M Stretch Goal will add Chris Avellone to our team. You’ve probably heard of him, as he was the lead designer for Planescape™: Torment, the game that inspired us to create this project. Chris will be the first to say PS:T was a team effort, but he was its creative visionary and wrote the lion’s share of the game. He later cofounded Obsidian Entertainment, where he is the Creative Director. Chris was the lead designer for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, and has contributed his design expertise to every project Obsidian has developed. He also worked with inXile on Wasteland 2 last year, including designing the area showcased in our gameplay first look video.

Of course, from the start, we hoped Chris could contribute to Torment as well. But as recently as a couple weeks ago (16 days to be precise), we didn’t know whether Torment would even fund. And besides, Chris’s commitment to Project Eternity made it unclear whether he’d have the time. Given his key role in Planescape™: Torment, and the respect he has earned from the game’s fans, we didn’t want to even hint that Chris might be involved unless we were certain it would be possible. Our unexpectedly strong start – because of you – made it an option we could explore. So explore we did. We’ve been able to work out the scheduling matters so that Chris can contribute to Torment without impacting Project Eternity. 

At $3.5M, Chris will be joining our design team. He’ll have two primary roles. First, he will be reviewing and providing feedback on all creative elements of the game, including the story, characters, and areas. His input will be invaluable as a resource to Colin in further detailing the creative vision for the game. Second, he’ll be designing and writing an eighth companion for the game, working with Colin and Monte to craft a companion ideal for both Torment and the Ninth World of Numenera.

We are truly excited at the possibility that Chris could collaborate with us on Torment.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

WIP screenshot 

More details on the art and tech here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/442434?ref=email&show_token=4ef8d7998fa026eb

@TheVoxelman on twitter

If they make the game in actual 3rd person view and not i isometric view I would be all over this. but it is just like going back to the 90s, and I can not play those game anymore.

video 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

@TheVoxelman on twitter