By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter final count $4,188,927.00 - Chris Avellone is in - First video! prerendered backgrounds are in

And here we all stand setting history with the crowdfunding campaign for Torment: Tides of Numenera. We often speak of paradigm shifts and game changers in our industry but you are truly witnessing it in this groundbreaking new model of connecting creators with the players. You have all heard me speak to this new power, but truly it will shape the kinds of games you play and the policies of the developers and publishers. More than ever we are in sync with the simple goal of making games without ever losing the gamer’s interests. At Interplay our slogan was By Gamers, For Gamers and this attitude could not be truer today.

There is no way this game would have ever been funded without this new method of connection and without the passion of our backers who didn’t just donate but worked as a team to spread the word. You guys rock! The passion of the RPG gamer is like none other.

We are both humbled and excited that you have given us this opportunity. The team we have assembled is pretty unbelievable and I have full faith that together we will create a true classic. I never stopped working to get Chris Avellone aboard to make sure we had the band back together. But it only got better when we brought on guys like Pat Rothfuss and Kevin Saunders to take the game to new heights. The trick is always to surround ones self with brilliant people and to create an environment in which creativity can flourish.

I want to give a special shout-out to my wife Ashley for driving her insane by talking incessantly about Kickstarter, Wasteland 2 and Torment for 24 hours a day. I’d also like to thank super fan Steven Dengler who stepped up to match my dollar contribution. The world would be a better place with more Steven Denglers.

Our communication does not stop here. As you’ve seen, we do have our own creative vision for this game but it will be our regular contact with you that helps us hone in on the right aspects of it all. With this great crowdfunding success comes great responsibility and we could not take it more seriously. My confidence in delivering a classic you will love comes from this open dialogue.

As you may know we have a closing party today in which we will celebrate the success we’ve had with this campaign and countdown to the final minutes of closing. We are of course ecstatic at our current funding but we are a competitive bunch and would love to beat the total funding record that our dear friends at Obsidian currently hold. We thought it only natural to invite any backers of the game and at last count we had 100 of you RSVP that you are attending. I look forward to meeting you. And for those that cannot attend, you will be able to join us virtually at this link starting at 2:30 PDT:
http://www.twitch.tv/inxile_entertainment

And before I end my writing let me share one more incredible concept piece from Nils Hamm that showcases the male player of Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Once again I would like to thank you for making it possible for me and all my team at inXile to spend many more years creating the best RPGs we can.

Brian Fargo
Leader inXile

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/446364

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

Sitting at $4,188,927.00; Torment: Tides of Numenera surges pass Project Eternity to become Kickstarter's most funded video game to date.

A look at the highest funded list of video games shows that Kickstarter is more than just an avenue for small time indies trying to make their dream game... Medium sized developers that are willing to catch a niche market clearly have a place in the ecosystem.

#1 Torment: Tide of Numenera
#2 Project Eternity
#4 Wasteland 2
#8 Shadowrun Returns

And the still ongoing Divinity: Original Sin... the message is clear: even as big time publisher deem these type of games not 'mainstream' or 'profitable', there is a clear desire from some developers to make them, and an even clearer desire for fans to see it happen.

Over 70,000 fans have put their money where their mouth is; let the hits keep rolling!

pezus said:
The fuck?! They're doing this AND Wasteland 2?

Wasteland 2 is already almost finished.  Looks pretty good too.