By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 7 franchises this gen

With this gen wrapping it's about time we look at the best franchises from this generation (last gen). 

1. Mass Effect- I haven't actually played Mass Effect 3. I'm well aware the ending apparently sucks but it's still the deepest franchise to come this generation.

2. Bioshock- Two amazing games and a 3rd one to come. This might go on to grab the 1st spot as long as Infinite lives up to the hype and has a good ending.

3. Uncharted- All around a great trilogy. Not consistent though. The 2nd game is easily the best and the 1st is easily the worst. Might have been my favorite franchise this generation if the ending of the 3rd game wasn't fucking awful.

4. Resistance- Really underrated series. The first game got me into MP with some of the best multiplayer I've ever played and a solid campaign to back it up. The 2nd game really changed things up with the MP and it worked, has a pretty good campaign too. Resistance 3 really screwed up with multiplayer but it has one of tbe best FPS let alone campaigns in general I've ever played. 

5. Batman Arkham- Obviously Batman isn't a new franchise but Arkham is a new franchise within a franchise. The Arkham games moved past every other shitty Batman game and finally gave Batman fans what we want.

6. Infamous- Solid series all around. I found the first game to be great, the 2nd game to be a huge Uncharted 2 style leap and from what I've played of Festival of Blood it's a nice little Infamous game.

7. Assassin's Creed- Love the 2nd game and I enjoyed brotherhood. The first game is horrible. I haven't played the other games yet though.

Honorable Mentions: Gears of War (I find the series very overrated but it's still a good franchise), Dead Space (Loved the first game and couldn't stand the 2nd game), Transformers Cybertron series (must play for any Transformers fan that finally gives us some justice),  Borderlands (First game was decent and the sequel improved in every way), Valkyria Chronices (thanks Sega for not bringing over the 3rd game and moving away from PS3)

Around the Network

You are obviously a sony fanboy. Resistance 2 sucked so bad that ruined the whole franchise and Infamous while decent is also extremly overrated.

User was banned for this post - Kantor

Piernik said:
You are obviously a sony fanboy. Resistance 2 sucked so bad that ruined the whole franchise and Infamous while decent is also extremly overrated.

Ban in 3...2.....1...

Anyway OT:  Does it have to be a franchise that started this gen?

Mass effect began nice, then the 2nd was awesome and the 3rd about the middle of the game was lacking some things but still great, and then.. as you continue to progress you realize that all your choices matter sh!t, and the game when you reach the end is disappointing considering all the "every choice matters blah blah blah", "you will see significant influence of what you have done blah blah blah" that casey hudson used to say when promoting the game.

Resistance 1 was nice, then the 2nd for me was a lot better for me, Hale at last was a true character, and not a dude that acted like a zombie. The story was a lot better and Hale was more involved in it. But then Resistance 3 happens and all the great foundation that R2 established, was thrown away and they started anew. That is why the 3rd one is worst selling of the franchise.

Piernik said:

You never even played it. You sound more like the fanboy to me. Resistance 2 is really good, definitely one of the best shooters of this gen. I loved the first game and I could live with the changes. Maybe instead of judging a game you haven't played you should play it.

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
Piernik said:

Ban in 3...2.....1...

Anyway OT:  Does it have to be a franchise that started this gen?

You can see the future :O.  He is banned XD

did you reported him? lol

Tried Borderlands because it was on PS+ one month. It was okay, got boring really quickly and I wasn't really a big fan of the art style.

Bioshock was better than Borderlands, I finished the first one. But it wasn't very enjoyable at all - in fact, the 2nd one is sitting on my shelf in plastic wrap.

Have not played Mass Effect at all (beyond a demo which was boring), nor Batman,

Resistance is okay I guess. I never bought it, but I've played through the co-op.

^^^

so this is Top 7 franchises this gen you played, right?

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

dsgrue3 said:
Tried Borderlands because it was on PS+ one month. It was okay, got boring really quickly and I wasn't really a big fan of the art style.

Why do you think it's called Borederlands?

OT: 1-7. Flower

I'm going to assume this gen only based on other posts
1. Borderlands
2. Assassins Creed
3. The Last of Us (we all know its going to be awesome)
4. Bioshock
5. Gears of War
6. Dead space
7. Batman Arkham Asylum and City.