By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 7 franchises this gen

Franchise means atleast two games right? Damn.. no TLOU, Journey or Heavy Rain (maybe even Beyond) here then xD

My top 7 NEW Franchises of THIS Generation:

1. Uncharted Series [1 was great, 2 was insane, 3 was a masterpiece]

2.LittleBigPlanet [1 was amazing, 2 improved on it]

3. Batman: Arkham Series [I actually preferred Asylum over City but both were awesome games]

4. InFAMOUS [1 was good, 2 got me loving the franchise and pleading for a 3]

5. Assassin's Creed [1 was decent but had most potential, 2 was really good even though i didnt like the direction, didnt play brotherhood, revelations was good, 3 was okay]

6. War/Star - Hawk [Warhawk was THE SHIT during the early PS3 time. Oh my god so much fun and time put into that game. Starhawk was too amibitious for its own good but still good].

7. Left4Dead [Oh some good times playing both with friends late at night during LANs x'D]

I only played Gears 1 & 2.

1 was on PC which wasnt all that.. great.

2 had an awful MP for me, I had problems with the netcode and generally made me disgusted for paying for XBL as I kinda expected more. But I did however enjoy Horde with friends. Couldnt give two shits about the SP, it wouldnt capture me and also why I said I dont care about 3.

It can influence as much as it wants but just like I didnt buy a single CoD after MW2 (thats when I realized it went to shit and I only really enjoyed CoD4) its the same for Gears with me. It doesn't matter. Either you like a game or you dont.

EDIT: I actually made a Top 7 New IP Franchises of this Generation xD, I didn't include games like God of War because they were made in the PS2 generation. List would be a whole-lot different otherwise.

Around the Network
Horrorfest said:
JayWood2010 said:
Horrorfest said:
JayWood2010 said:
Yet somehow Gears is one of the most influential and sales wise it outperforms all of those games on a single platform. On top of that it is one of the most critically acclaimed. Yeah, completely biased list

What does that matter? Uncharted 2 alone is more critically acclaimed than the entire Gears franchise if you want to bring up sales and acclaim but I'm biased? I never said the Gears franchise is bad. I like the world but when it comes to characters and story it's generic. 

As I said.  Horrible list.  here is the average of each game series.  And notice Gears is on the top.

Batman 93.5 PS3
Mass Effect 93.3 X360
Gears 92.6 X360
Bioshock 92 X360
Uncharted 92 PS3
Assassin 85.6 PS3
Resistance 85.3 PS3
InFamous  84 PS3

Looks like you're throwing in the towel already. You completely ignored my points. You post these statistics which you don't even say where you got them and you say Gears is on top when the list itself shows Mass Effect and Batman ahead? Lol, what? Until you make a worthwhile argument that doesn't backtrack and ignore everything I said, we are done here. Not even sure what you are raging about, you never even bothered to explain how I'm biased.

-_-  It's the average Metacritic score for each of these series.  Im saying that Gears is on top of the list (Not number 1) yet for some reason you excluded it and have 3 sub par series like Assassin's Creed, Resistance, and InFamous.  Assassin's Creed has been a hit and miss.  Resistance and InFamous has just been average.  Then you say something about Uncharted being rated better than Gears but overall gears has out performed uncharted this generation yet you exclude it.  That is why im saying it is biased.  

If you are going to make an opinion piece then at least say it is your opinion.

JayWood2010 said:
Horrorfest said:
JayWood2010 said:
Yet somehow Gears is one of the most influential and sales wise it outperforms all of those games on a single platform. On top of that it is one of the most critically acclaimed. Yeah, completely biased list

What does that matter? Uncharted 2 alone is more critically acclaimed than the entire Gears franchise if you want to bring up sales and acclaim but I'm biased? I never said the Gears franchise is bad. I like the world but when it comes to characters and story it's generic. 

As I said.  Horrible list.  here is the average of each game series.  And notice Gears is on the top.

Batman 93.5 PS3
Mass Effect 93.3 X360
Gears 92.6 X360
Bioshock 92 X360
Uncharted 92 PS3
Assassin 85.6 PS3
Resistance 85.3 PS3
InFamous  84 PS3

Um.. =>

Source: www.gotypicks.blogspot.com

2008:

1. Fallout 3

2&3. MGS4 & GTAIV (tied)

4. LittleBigPlanet

5. Gears of War 2

2009:

1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

2. Batman Arkham Asylum

3. Modern Warfare 2

4. Dragon Age Origins

5. Assassin's Creed 2

2011:

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

2. Portal 2

3. Batman Arkham City

4. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

5. The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword

=>

Critics giving em awards:

UC1 not placed as it didnt make its year top 5
Gears 1 not placed as it didnt make its years top 5

Gears 2 placed as 5th in 08
UC2 placed as 1st in 09

UC3 placed as 4th in 11
Gears 3 not placed in 11

CGI-Quality said:
Aldro said

I only played Gears 1 & 2.

1 was on PC which wasnt all that.. great.

Oh HELL no! * friendship now in question *

It was weird! I mean it worked, but I dunno xD I felt like I didnt have much control of Marcus "TEH TANK" Fenix. I probably just sucked.

Could you even plug a controller in? I didnt have a 360 at the time.

This is my list of top new franchises of the 7th gen:

1. Portal

2. Mass Effect

3. Gears of War

4. Bioshock

5. Uncharted

6. Sonic & All Stars Racing

7. Left 4 Dead

Around the Network
Aldro said:
JayWood2010 said:
Horrorfest said:
JayWood2010 said:

Batman 93.5 PS3
Mass Effect 93.3 X360
Gears 92.6 X360
Bioshock 92 X360
Uncharted 92 PS3
Assassin 85.6 PS3
Resistance 85.3 PS3
InFamous  84 PS3

A bunch of Pictures

=>

UC2 placed as 1st in 09

UC3 placed as 4th in 11
Gears 3 not placed in 11

What are you ranting about?  I showed you the average metacritic.  I'm not saying gears is better than uncharted or vice versa.  What Im saying is that Gears has consistently done well and has a higher average yet is absent from the list.  Nobody is going to say UNcharted 2 is bad because it is damn amazing but if anybody says that gears is not worthy of what it has done is full of it because it has been easily one of this gens best in terms of score and terms of sales.

JayWood2010 said:
Aldro said:
JayWood2010 said:
Horrorfest said:
JayWood2010 said:

Batman 93.5 PS3
Mass Effect 93.3 X360
Gears 92.6 X360
Bioshock 92 X360
Uncharted 92 PS3
Assassin 85.6 PS3
Resistance 85.3 PS3
InFamous  84 PS3

A bunch of Pictures

=>

UC2 placed as 1st in 09

UC3 placed as 4th in 11
Gears 3 not placed in 11

What are you ranting about?  I showed you the average metacritic.  I'm not saying gears is better than uncharted or vice versa.  What Im saying is that Gears has consistently done well and has a higher average yet is absent from the list.  Nobody is going to say UNcharted 2 is bad because it is damn amazing but if anybody says that gears is not worthy of what it has done is full of it because it has been easily one of this gens best in terms of score and terms of sales.

I just showed you what the critics praised the most between the UC and Gears series. Take that as you will.

Influential =/= Better game hence why even critics awarded UC far more.

JayWood2010 said:
Horrorfest said:
JayWood2010 said:
Horrorfest said:
JayWood2010 said:

Batman 93.5 PS3
Mass Effect 93.3 X360
Gears 92.6 X360
Bioshock 92 X360
Uncharted 92 PS3
Assassin 85.6 PS3
Resistance 85.3 PS3
InFamous  84 PS3

Looks like you're throwing in the towel already. You completely ignored my points. You post these statistics which you don't even say where you got them and you say Gears is on top when the list itself shows Mass Effect and Batman ahead? Lol, what? Until you make a worthwhile argument that doesn't backtrack and ignore everything I said, we are done here. Not even sure what you are raging about, you never even bothered to explain how I'm biased.

-_-  It's the average Metacritic score for each of these series.  Im saying that Gears is on top of the list (Not number 1) yet for some reason you excluded it and have 3 sub par series like Assassin's Creed, Resistance, and InFamous.  Assassin's Creed has been a hit and miss.  Resistance and InFamous has just been average.  Then you say something about Uncharted being rated better than Gears but overall gears has out performed uncharted this generation yet you exclude it.  That is why im saying it is biased.  

Again, you completely ignore most of everything I said. Don't waste my time, if you aren't even going to bother to counterpoint all my points not just one, there is no point since you can't hold an argument together here. Like I said you can let other people form your own opinion on games, personally I prefer to judge a game myself and not let others do it for me. For some reason you seem to think I'm making my list as it's fact or something. I never once said that was the case. Clearly I am a single person and my list is the result of one persons opinion. I don't think I would need to clarify this. This will be the last time I reply to this argument.

Horrorfest said:
JayWood2010 said:
Horrorfest said:
JayWood2010 said:
Horrorfest said:
JayWood2010 said:

Batman 93.5 PS3
Mass Effect 93.3 X360
Gears 92.6 X360
Bioshock 92 X360
Uncharted 92 PS3
Assassin 85.6 PS3
Resistance 85.3 PS3
InFamous  84 PS3

Again, you completely ignore most of everything I said. Don't waste my time, if you aren't even going to bother to counterpoint all my points not just one, there is no point since you can't hold an argument together here. Like I said you can let other people form your own opinion on games, personally I prefer to judge a game myself and not let others do it for me. For some reason you seem to think I'm making my list as it's fact or something. I never once said that was the case. Clearly I am a single person and my list is the result of one persons opinion. I don't think I would need to clarify this. This will be the last time I reply to this argument.

It is simple.  Mark it as an opinion or tell people to post there 7 as well.  You did neither and it appears as a statement rather than a opinion

While I agree with everyone's lists, and I could wrote mine (but I'm lazy to do so), I'm only saying that Dead Rising has been, for me, one of the best franchises this gen. Even if Dead Rising 2 was very milked (Case Zero, Case West, and Off the Record), I do still think the games are awesome; especially if you're a zombies fan.