By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I had a nightmare last night: Nintendo announced Mario Sunshine 2 as Wii U's 3D Mario

I would not like another Sunshine

something new or Galaxy/N64/3DLand stile

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

Why not make a 3d platformer based off Super Mario World? (aka the best Mario game in existence. There, I said it.)

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
tbone51 said:
Sunshine = Hardest 3D mario game

yes, it was!! Wonder how many of you finished the game completely. But It was, IMO, way better than Mario 64

I like it more than mario galaxy honestly.

I think this "Nintendo audience" or "Nintendo fans" shit needs to stop. There may well be gamers that ONLY buy Nintendo consoles and ONLY buy Nintendo published games for them. But I'm certainly not one of them, and I don't personally know any other "Nintendo fans" that are like that at all, either. So on the same token, how the hell was Gamecube trying to "appeal to Sony fans"? By having more 3rd party games on it? Is it just me, or do people who make statements like that seem to be completely oblivious to the NES and SNES eras? Or the fact that Nintendo's portable consoles (VB excluded) have always had great 3rd party support?

Let's get something straight kids. Gamecube didn't "ignore the longtime Nintendo fan" anymore than Wii "ignored the hardcore gamer". I'm sorry, but give me a fucking break. GC had a ton of great Nintendo published titles, and Wii absolutely had it's healthy share of "hardcore" (dumb fucking term if there ever was one) games. Sorry folks, but that absolutely needed to be pointed out. The mere fact that these kinds of things still break out really kind of depresses me as a gamer.

Around the Network

@TheLastStarFighter

Both attempted to go after the "core" crowd, and GCN franchises/games like Pikmin and Wind Waker are returning on Wii U. And Luigi's Mansion 2, which despite being for 3DS, speaks of the same desire to revisit GCN hits.

I hope this trend dies because the GCN was a disappointing console to me. Nintendo redeemed themselves with the Wii and I don't want them to relapse now.

This is not a nightmare. It's a great dream.

DevilRising said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Hey, if the Wii U supports software comparable to the Gamecube library, I'll be a happy man :)

But I suspect it will be Super Mario Universe. It just makes too much sense.

Sunshine wasn't a BAD game. It just wasn't what I (or many other fans) wanted or expected out of a Mario game. If it had been the exact same game, minus Mario and all Mario-related elements, I think people would look back much more fondly on it.

Having said that, I wouldn't be terribly pleased if the Wii U 3D Mario WAS Sunshine 2. On the other hand, I don't know about this Super Mario Universe business either. I'm of the opinion that they never needed to or should have made Galaxy 2. I think like Sunshine, Galaxy and it's elements should have been a one time deal. I LOVE Super Mario Galaxy 1, it's brilliant (aside from the fact that playing Luigi's slippery ass made the game nearly unbearable for me), gorgeous, just a masterpiece. Galaxy 2 had some good things about it, but it really didn't do Yoshi any justice, and to me it kind of felt like the "lost levels" edition, basically just harder/more fucked up level designs from the same basic game. And besides, seeing the Wii graphics remake of a Mario 64 level just made me wish they'd have done a full Mario 64 remake for Wii instead. THAT would have been something.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that I don't want a Mario Galaxy 3, and I personally feel that there should never be one. The next 3D Mario should be unique, and between you me and the rest of the forum, I have always held out hope for a 3D Mario game that ACTUALLY lets you run around a glorious, sprawling 3D Mushroom Kingdom, something they have yet to actually do. M64 let you run around levels that existed within magical paintings. The other two were totally off the wall. I'd like to see the Mushroom World represented on the epic and amazing scale that especially with Wii U hardware (and disc size) it now can be.

That's my hope.

[...]

I agree about Sunshine. It's probably my least favorite of the 3D Mario games, but it's still excellent. I commend Nintendo for challenging the traditional platform formula. Instead of fire world, ice world, forest world, etc., Nintendo gave us a platform game that revolved around a tropical vacation. It was ingenious, really.

Also, I wanted to clear up the Mario Universe thing. When I wrote "Universe" I didn't mean to suggest a sequel to Mario Galaxy. I like the name "Universe" because it goes so well with Wii U, and because Land, World, and Galaxy are already crossed off the list.

I like your concept of an open-world Mario game, but how would Nintendo work the platform elements into the game world? Are you imagining something like Banjo-Tooie, where there are no levels per se, but rather large, interconnected areas that allow passage back and forth?

^ I would LOVE a Banjo-Tooie style world of interconnected regions, as long as there's fast travel to avoid tedious backtracking.

I really like the idea of large, interconected areas. Now I want more info about this game...I hope it's like we are imagining it.