By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - games that are loved that you think are bad?

Fayceless said:
Dragon Age. I've never understood the appeal of this game. It's pretentious and shallow. Choice is an illusion in video game, let's not pretend otherwise.

choice is pretty much an illusion yes, after all, the "choices" you make are ones determined by the developer. 

Around the Network

infamous 1, bc of the repetitiveness and the who in the f**ks shooting me syndrome

littlebigplanet, just couldn't get into it

mtu9356 said:
infamous 1, bc of the repetitiveness and the who in the f**ks shooting me syndrome

ahhh. i hated infamous 1, i found it really, really boring. also the animations of the characters was horrible, like some people you talked to had animations that were crap, i could make better than them. but really i can make better than them 

Red Dead Redemption.

LazyFish said:
Red Dead Redemption.

red dead redemption?

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Brutal Legend followed by Valkyria Chronicles.

I hate you.

On topic:

Assassin's Creed 1: sucks hard. Just a lame tech demo. Wish I never wasted time with it.

Gears of War: It's not a bad game by any means but it's very dull and the characters and story are VERY generic.

Just about every GTA game: Again not bad but generic and dull. Especially 4 which was really boring. 

Dead Space 2: Loved the first game too bad the 2nd was such a huge step down. I liked the story and that was it.

bananaking21 said:
mtu9356 said:

ahhh. i hated infamous 1, i found it really, really boring. also the animations of the characters was horrible, like some people you talked to had animations that were crap, i could make better than them. but really i can make better than them 

Well I liked the voice actor for Cole better in the first one.  But overall I still don't know how much more I like the second one since I haven't finished it yet.

I don't get the love for Halo, it's not that I hate the franchise, it's just that nothing about it is special to me despite everyone peeing their pants when a Halo game is gonna be released.. I've played shooters out there which to me are so much better.

Halo has things which don't appeal to me or simply rub me the wrong way.
1) Art style, I just don't like the art style, why does everything feel so neon, the colour pallet is just not right for the supposed seriousness of the game, if Halo was meant to be a funny wacky shooter like Serious sam or time splitters, then I'd understand and have no issue with it. I mean imagine if gears of wars characters were all of a sudden given a more colourful pallet, the seriousness of the game would turn comical. I'm not saying turn Halo all shades of brown and grey, but at least have a much more muted pallet to reflect the grittiness of being a soldier in war.

2) Story on the Halo games is a bore, Master chief feels almost like the incarnation of Duke Nukem, Awesome American kicking ass with those alien scumbag. In my opinion they need to humanise him a bit. Then comes the Halo universe, the more I read it, the more I get the Vibe of Starcraft, at times it literally feels like Starcraft in FPS mode but starcraft having the killer art style in comparison. But I suppose we play Halo for it's awesome gameplay right...

3) I'll say it out right, the controls suck, and to me it breaks the gameplay, they feel forced, sure you can get used to them, and people seem to love them, but why not habve the awesome controls that Killzone, COD and BF have on console, it's standardised for a reason, cuz it works, it's the same for PC almost 99% of PC shooter have the same control scheme, so why must halo fuck with it.

Point 1 and 3 are my main gripes with the Halo games which I think make it a bad game and yet people love.

One of the most enjoyable shooter I've enjoyed this gen is Singularity, I loved the story, and I loved the gameplay, while it was a shooter at heart had abilities which made shooting more fun. Also the multiplayer was so much fun. This game wasn't perfect as clearly it needed a bit more spit and shine, and yet to me the art style and gameplay just clicked with me. Same goes for killzone franchise, COD franchise, and BF franchise.

Otakumegane said:
Gears of War and God of War.

Played both at other's houses and I seriously could not see why they would have bought it for anything other than CHAINSAW MACHINE GUN ERMAGAWD or UBER BUFF SPARTAN GUY DECAPITATION.

That and Final Fantasy, Mario Kart, Skyrim, GTA, Call of Duty. Oh and all the Mario Parties after 2. (4 was decent though)

Gears had a great atmosphere. The whole game gives you a "heavy" feeling, with the huge characters, camera, and somewhat clunky controls. The visuals are great, and the gameplay is exciting. It may seem like "another shooter" but it really is a unique experience. Take out the chainsaw, excessive gore and whatever else (though most of it fits well in the atmosphere), and it'd still be wildly popular. Easily my favorite new franchise this gen (or last gen?).

My picks:

Bethesda games for what's been said - large, shallow worlds.

GTA 3 and beyond - I preferred the 2D games. Also, multiplayer.

Path of Exile - not terrible, but vastly overrated game, and its fans won't ever stop rambling about its superiority to D3.

Bioshock - Gameplay was boring and the story was predictable. They really made some serious hype with all the "the new system shock" and stuff. But it ended up being just some boring shooter. Nothing like System Shock at all.

Every Call of Duty since Call of Duty 2 - I hate that series so much for killing the healthmeter. I really really don't like auto regeneration. CoD 1 was a blast though and unforgivingly hard on veteran.

Journey - I don't get it.

Donkey Kong Country Returns - The game just doesn't feel right. The controls are nowhere near as precise as on the SNES. And whose idea was it to force the player to wiggle the damn wii mote?

The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword - I bought the game and never played longer than an hour. No joke. It's just so damn annoying ans boring that I don't want to play it. It sucks. Big time. With Majoras Mask, I couldn't stop playing because the game just sucked me in. Skyward Sword is the exact opposite.

Xenoblade - I was really turned off by the graphics as the look like junk. Besides that, the gameplay also failed to impress. I got bored pretty quickly.

Every Bioware Game after Baldur's Gate - Icewind Dale was somewhat ok, but everything else just sucked real bad. Neverwinter Nights just felt unfinished and Dragon Age was just plain bad. It tried so hard to be mature that you could only laugh about it. I had a much better time with the witcher.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.