By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Only 5 Percent Of Developers Making Games For Nintendo

Cobretti2 said:
Well Wii U figure not surprising, I was more surprised that only 13% working on 360/PS3.

The biggest shock is this one:
,58 percent of GDC-attending developers are working toward releasing their games on tablets and smartphones.

I agree... This is what we really should worry about. Then  we can see that there´s  a huge number of small or medium developers, so the figures of 5 % and 13 % doesn´t mean much.... for the console market. But for the gaming market in general, it´s clear that the industry is moving towards those devices adn driving away potential console consumers.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:

This is one of the big reasons why the gaming media annoys me, with one of the others being the tendency for them to post completely idiotic things like "here's a piece of art based on a video game, isn't it nice?", "Robbery happens, game system stolen", etc. They also never seem to do any sort of investigation. Basically, they're ahead of the mainstream media in terms of how degenerated they are from being news to being for-click tabloidism.

Game media, no matter how people refuse to admit it, is still in its infancy. Most editors/reviewers/reporters still base their works much more on personal tastes than on real facts. It´s hard to find a videogame website or magazine that shows the information without a lot of bias.

Aielyn said:
What really annoys me about this is the way that everybody that reports on it makes a false claim in their headline.

It's not "only 5% of developers making games for Nintendo", it's "5% of US developers who showed up at this specific event and answered our questions said that they were working on a game for the Wii U right now".

Also note that it's not "development studios", but "developers".

Kind of like how, when the Vita saw a surge in Japan in the most recent numbers, many reported it as "Wii U sales drop below Vita". No, Vita sales rose past Wii U. Wii U sales stayed almost steady. But saying that Vita is selling a bit better this week isn't going to get hits, while implying that Wii U sales are dropping further will get hits.

This is one of the big reasons why the gaming media annoys me, with one of the others being the tendency for them to post completely idiotic things like "here's a piece of art based on a video game, isn't it nice?", "Robbery happens, game system stolen", etc. They also never seem to do any sort of investigation. Basically, they're ahead of the mainstream media in terms of how degenerated they are from being news to being for-click tabloidism.

Yeah I should have edited the title, it annoys me aswell. But the titles what brings in the hits so they want a shocking title that will make you want to read.

snowdog said:
DélioPT said:
It`s not really worrying. PS3 and Xbox 360 had a lot of support that Wii never had.
Wii U is bound to miss a few games. What matters is that Wii U doesn`t miss on the big titles.

It`s impressive the number of Indies!
Wii U is getting good indie support and that might increase given the deal on Unity.
Iwata said GDC would bring news on this subject. Hope it`s really good news!

Yup, you're going to see a flood of indie support for the Wii U due to several factors:

1) Nintendo have (according to rumour) adopted a Steam model for the Wii U's eShop letting developers set their own prices and giving a 70/30 split in favour of developers.
2) Are giving developers free licences for Havok middleware, Autodesk middleware, Greenhill's MULTI IDE and a licence for Unity 4 for free with every dev kit.
3) Have dropped the previous restriction that each licenced developer for a Nintendo console must have an office.
4) Are not charging developers for Submission of patches for Standards and Functional Testing.

We should see plenty of ports of PC games powered by the Unity Engine pretty soon.

Exactly!
Nintendo is giving a lot of support to indies. I just don`t think your number 3 is confirmed. Last time i heard it was only speculation and haven`t seen any confirmation so far.

Unfortunately, japanese gamers aren`t and won`t be so lucky for a while. It seems Nintendo has a rule that to put a game on the japanese eshop you have either to be a japanese company or be a part of/own one. That`s why that there really isn`t much there.

There are like what? 3-5 "indie" titles on the Wii U? What a selection! At this rate they might cross double digits by the time summer rolls around.

I'd buy something if something was actually available, but right now my Wii U is a very expensive way to play F-Zero SNES (at least it was only 30 cents!). 

For all this talk about Nintendo reaching out to the indie community it's just that -- talk. It's nothing I can play right now (and I already got Trine 2 off Steam for like 5 bucks).