By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Only 5 Percent Of Developers Making Games For Nintendo

EncodedNybble said:
think-man said:

What catagory did you tick? which are you working on smartphones, consoles etc?

Just phones/tablets now. Used to work on PC too, but the company I work for now is all mobile. I've had offers in the past to work on console (most recent being to work on the Deadpool game), but they've all required me to move (I live in San Francisco), were massive pay decreases, and, seemingly, offered less "work/life balance." So, given those facts, and the fact that I just recently got married, none of them were too appealing besides the games I'd be working on. Maybe I will eventually, or perhaps if dev kits are cheaper in the future, I can work on them as an indie developer by myself (outsourcing some art), but, for now, mobile only as I don't plan on doing much development outside of 9-5 job.

Nice! so are you a programmer?

Around the Network
think-man said:

*nods* Pretty much what I wanted to do since I was 5 (when I got my NES). So, it's been working out well for me so far. Hopefully some of the games I'm working on will be popular in the future.

I think the most alarming thing about this figure is the overwhelming number of developers working on games for smartphones/tablets.

EncodedNybble said:
think-man said:

*nods* Pretty much what I wanted to do since I was 5 (when I got my NES). So, it's been working out well for me so far. Hopefully some of the games I'm working on will be popular in the future.

Im studying Programming atm :D whats the names of the games your working on ill look them up, or are they still unannounced?

think-man said:
EncodedNybble said:
think-man said:

Im studying Programming atm :D whats the names of the games your working on ill look them up, or are they still unannounced?

Mainly working on a 3D rendering engine that a bunch of games in the future will use at our company. So, those games are unannounced and not beyond the planning stages really.

Around the Network
EncodedNybble said:
think-man said:
EncodedNybble said:
think-man said:

Mainly working on a 3D rendering engine that a bunch of games in the future will use at our company. So, those games are unannounced and not beyond the planning stages really.

You enjoy your job? I used to be a plumber but changed my career due to not liking it at all, I always wanted to get into programming so started studying it a few years ago, im still struggling to get my head around it :/

Wow, just wow. Those figures...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
DélioPT said:
It`s not really worrying. PS3 and Xbox 360 had a lot of support that Wii never had.
Wii U is bound to miss a few games. What matters is that Wii U doesn`t miss on the big titles.

It`s impressive the number of Indies!
Wii U is getting good indie support and that might increase given the deal on Unity.
Iwata said GDC would bring news on this subject. Hope it`s really good news!

Yup, you're going to see a flood of indie support for the Wii U due to several factors:

1) Nintendo have (according to rumour) adopted a Steam model for the Wii U's eShop letting developers set their own prices and giving a 70/30 split in favour of developers.
2) Are giving developers free licences for Havok middleware, Autodesk middleware, Greenhill's MULTI IDE and a licence for Unity 4 for free with every dev kit.
3) Have dropped the previous restriction that each licenced developer for a Nintendo console must have an office.
4) Are not charging developers for Submission of patches for Standards and Functional Testing.

We should see plenty of ports of PC games powered by the Unity Engine pretty soon.

pokoko said:
"GDC tends to skew toward smaller developers"

Yeah, this doesn't mean a lot.

And no mention of the PC?

from the actual source 

"PCs and Macs are the next strongest platforms, with 34.6% of developers releasing their last games for PCs/Macs, 48% developing their current games for the platform, and 49% planning their next games on PCs/Macs."

http://www.gdconf.com/news/gdc_state_of_the_industry_rese.html

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

What really annoys me about this is the way that everybody that reports on it makes a false claim in their headline.

It's not "only 5% of developers making games for Nintendo", it's "5% of US developers who showed up at this specific event and answered our questions said that they were working on a game for the Wii U right now".

Also note that it's not "development studios", but "developers".

Kind of like how, when the Vita saw a surge in Japan in the most recent numbers, many reported it as "Wii U sales drop below Vita". No, Vita sales rose past Wii U. Wii U sales stayed almost steady. But saying that Vita is selling a bit better this week isn't going to get hits, while implying that Wii U sales are dropping further will get hits.

This is one of the big reasons why the gaming media annoys me, with one of the others being the tendency for them to post completely idiotic things like "here's a piece of art based on a video game, isn't it nice?", "Robbery happens, game system stolen", etc. They also never seem to do any sort of investigation. Basically, they're ahead of the mainstream media in terms of how degenerated they are from being news to being for-click tabloidism.