By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS3 top 100 million?

If the PS3 had a 300$ price at launch similar to the PS2 it would have sold way more units than the PS2 did.
WOW, you got THE POINT.

Ok you are back to not reading what I say and just rattling off whatever you want. Read the point and then argue. Fact 3 is a point I have been making for a while now actually. Your worthless comparison is made worthless by just this point. If the PS2 had a launch window similar to the PS3 it would have sold way more units than the PS3 did. I don't know why you think I am ignoring this, but it is probably because you aren't actually reading my arguements again.

If you agree with that, then you agree my comparisons are valid. Does replying without actually reading anything count as trolling?

Like MUCH MORE people will buy PS3 for 300$, then for 600$?
REPEAT: just like xbox and ps2? xbox costed more to produce, and when ps2 went to 199$, xbox also did.

And that worked out how well for the Xbox? Oh right it got stomped and lost billions of dollars. Do you really want to use that as a comparison? And yes more people would be willing to buy it for $300, but that is only one small part of the equation. Would they be more willing to buy the $150 wii or $250 360 instead of the PS3.

RICE 600$.
100 mln. psOne. 120 mln. PS2. 20% increase. Are you kidding? How much that should help, when price increased 100% from 300$ to 600$.

Again that is my point. People are likely to gravitate to the cheaper system. Guess which systems will always be cheaper?

250$ PRICE. +Casual non-gamers base.
How many 3rd party Wii games sold over 2 mln.? 1. and ps3 already has 2.

How many million sellers does each system have? How big is the instal base for each system? Which system is easier to turn a profit on? Stop cherry picking.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

An important question is where are these PS3 buyers going to come from?

The PS3 is not designed (or attempting) to appeal to a new demographic so any increase in sales will have to come at the expense of another system. I don't really think the PS3 can steal sales from the Nintendo DS or Wii mainly because what sells each of these systems is so drastically different from the PS3; people who are buying a PS2, XBox or Gamecube right now are unlikely to buy a PS3 in the near future because they're budget gamers (and any system over $200 is out of their price range). What this means is that the PSP and XBox 360 are the most likely systems for the PS3 to canabalize sales from.

The XBox 360 has a larger and better game library, a lower price (potentially getting lower in the near future), similar third party support, a strong line up of first party games, and is being pushed by a company with money to burn in exchange for marketshare. Sony will have their hands full to steal sales from the XBox 360.

@Stever89,

Last time I checked (which was... not long ago), the PS3 is at $399, cheapest. Even with a price cut, it'll only be $299, and that's lowest.By the time the PS3 is $199, the Wii and 360 will be cheaper than they are now.
Last time I checked it`s a JANUARY.
149$ GC and 199$ ps2. Playstation BRAND is STRONGER.
If the PS3 wins through Blu-ray, software companies will lose because blu-ray only buyers will not buy software. Look at PSP software.
PSP is HACKED. PS3 NOT.
Innovative games? Because the Wii doesn't have innovative games? Or does motion controls only "innovative" when you're using the SIXAXIS to steer a dragon?
LBP - create levels. UT3 - using mods.

@Gnizmo,
What? I can't make sense of this statement. Are you saying that the PS3 will be selling at the same rates of the PS2 when it hits $300?
AND you say NO? Because Wii and x360 BRAND is BETTER? Or what?
Why NO? because PS3 sold worse with 400-600$ price then PS2 with it`s 300$. RIGHT? LOL.
Why isn't there value in comparing it in every market and looking at that as a whole? You can't just throw around the word fail and expect to get anywhere. Your comparison is flawed because it does not account for the staggered PS2 launch where as mine does.
Your comparison is flawed because it does not account:
1) PRICE difference.
2) presence of COMPETITORS in the first 1,5 years of ps2life.
Do you know how much PS2 or Wii or x360 would be sold for 600$. Then how can you compare?
That is my point. You can't look at one market and draw a comparison.
Who said, ONE?
WHY IGNORE Europe PS3 sales AND Japan psOne vs PS3 sales??? Two markets.
You know what, I want to see a list of them. I bet the vast majority of them are garbage.
WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT WII GAMES.
p.s. list you can find in this thread.
then I can give you a list of Wii and 360 exclusives that will blow your mind.
Wii60? So you ADMIT, that wii or x360 CAN`T stand alone against PS3 lineup in 2008?
Hum. Let me look at the current data and I will think about giving you a number.
You can paste PS2 games sales with 9 mln. PS2 sold. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
 =)

look now you have got some progress you did contribute something usefull

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

crazyman would love to be ken kutaragi's slave mistress.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network

Hahaha

@Doktor85,

Last generation DC PS2 Xbox and NGC was 180mln. These consoles are all the same in a way (same controller style). If the Wii didn't exist the market for this generation will be like 200mln. However the Wii exists and will extend the market with 30mln at max.
Nice. I was saying that for long time before. =)
30 mln. ? yes it could. BUT also could 100 mln. NOBODY knows how many there casual non-gamers willing to pay 99$ for Wii TOY.
Also NOBODY knows How many of those non-gamers will eventually want HD gaming, that won`t expand gaming market, but can increase ps3/x360 sales.
So NO. PS3 will never get to 100mln.
Never say NEVER. Wii did only 20 mln. that is only 1/6 from PS2 userbase and 1/9 (or 11%) from whole theoretical userbase.

@Gnizmo,
Ok you are back to not reading what I say and just rattling off whatever you want. Read the point and then argue. Fact 3 is a point I have been making for a while now actually. Your worthless comparison is made worthless by just this point. If the PS2 had a launch window similar to the PS3 it would have sold way more units than the PS3 did. I don't know why you think I am ignoring this, but it is probably because you aren't actually reading my arguements again.
WHY you ignore:
If the PS3 had a 300$ price at launch similar to the PS2 it would have sold way more units than the PS2 did.
???
And that worked out how well for the Xbox?
THAT IS XBOX, NOT PLAYSTATION. You don`t See the difference???
BRAND.
And yes more people would be willing to buy it for $300, but that is only one small part of the equation.
over 21 mln. PS2 sold at 300$ price. Over 20 mln. Wii sold at 250$ price.
Would they be more willing to buy the $150 wii or $250 360 instead of the PS3.
FOR WHAT POINT? Do these 150$ and 50$ cheaper system have SEQUELS OF GAMES, in which PS2 USERS ARE INTERESTED?
NO.
But they have Mario, Mario, Mario and again Mario + Zelda and Halo3. Since when PS2 USERS CARE ABOUT THESE GAMES? IF they would, GC and xbox would sell way more then 25 mln.
Again that is my point. People are likely to gravitate to the cheaper system. Guess which systems will always be cheaper?
Guess what system won`t NEVER HAVE DMC4, RE5, GTA4, SH5, MGS4, CoD4, AC, B5, FFXIII, SC4, EA, LR, AC6 ?
That is MY POINT.
How many million sellers does each system have? How big is the instal base for each system? Which system is easier to turn a profit on?
Wii has 1 3rd party 2 mln. seller. with 20 mln. PS3 has 2 3rd party 2 mln. sellers with 9 mln.
You are FREE to IGNORE THAT FACT.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
I IGNORE LOGIC

true but you can work on it

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

"PS3 wil have over 40 EXCLUSIVES in 2008, hiow do you know, that they won`t be better, then PS2 games?"

Wow really? 40? Can you give me a list of 40 named or announced exclusives confirmed for a 2008 release date?

If so I am most impressed as my impression was that the amount of PS3 exclusives was going to be far less than that.

Also most major new IPs launch on the currently dominant console. I wonder what that is at the moment.

CrazzyMan said:
quote]How many million sellers does each system have? How big is the instal base for each system? Which system is easier to turn a profit on?[/quote]Wii has 1 3rd party 2 mln. seller. with 20 mln. PS3 has 2 3rd party 2 mln. sellers with 9 mln.
You are FREE to IGNORE THAT FACT.

Look at it this way ...

The PS3 has 14 third party games over 500,000 units sold, 26  third party games over 250,000 units sold, and 47 third party games over 125,000 units sold.

The Wii has 19 third party games over 500,000 units sold, 33 third party game over 250,000 units sold and 65 third party games over 125,000 units sold.

In comparison to the PS3, the Wii has dramatically lower development costs so it requires less units sold to break even and a Wii game will be more profitable off of the same number of units sold. How much "better" are third party games doing on the PS3?