By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS3 top 100 million?

HappySqurriel said:

Guys ...

Arguing rationally about sales with CrazzyMan is like arguing evolution with the puritans. He will never look at the numbers or any argument rationally, he will simply continue preaching his blind faith regardless of any argument you make. When the games he always hypes come out and sell at a fraction of the level he expects, and PS3 sales do not see a turn around, he will just pick some random game in the future to hype as the PS3's savior; he (and several similar fanboys) have been doing this since the release of the PS3.

As you argue with him though he starts to get more and more desperate. As that happens you starts using out right lies and circular logic to promote is arguement. Once he hits that level you report him and he is banned for a few days. All and all it is worth the headache for a few days of peace.

Oh and since I missed one of his points I will deal with it here.

FACT: 1) MOST PS3 cost at launch 600$, PS2 cost 300$.

FACT: 2) PS2 launched in 2000, PS3 in 2006.

FACT: 3) Different launch times across the world.

FACT: 4) PS2 didn` have REAL competitors, PS3 now has.

You IGNORE these FACTS, right?

Nope, they just aren't very relevant, or actually one of my arguing points oddly. Fact 1 is great. Really it is. I don't see where you are going with that though. The people who wait until late in the generation to hop in are more frugal than the early adopters. The PS3 will always have the highest pricetag and thus always have that handicap. I talked about this earlier.

Fact 2 again supports me but is entirely irrelevant. The gaming market has expanded since 2000 so all consoles should see a comparitive increase in sales. The PS3 is selling at a slower pace than the PS2 was however. The expanded market seems to have only softened the blow for the console rather than helping.

Fact 3 is a point I have been making for a while now actually. Your worthless comparison is made worthless by just this point. If the PS2 had a launch window similar to the PS3 it would have sold way more units than the PS3 did. I don't know why you think I am ignoring this, but it is probably because you aren't actually reading my arguements again.

Fact 4 is true, irrelevant, and again supports my case. The PS2 handily outsold all of its competitors from the time of launch until today. The only console that current fits into that PS2 mold would be the Wii. If being able to outsell your opponents by a huge amount makes them not serious competition then I guess you would admit the Wii is on the market by itself?

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

LOL holy shit crazyman take a breather.

cant you already see how loved you are in this thread?http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=15635#end

You dont want to ruin your great reputation..

xD!

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Yes it will

End of 2008 Sales:

Wii- 39 Million 360- 25Million PS3- 22 Million

PSN: papasmurf5721

(In reply to CrazzyMan:)
bdbdbd said:
 and then you give us list of games where most of them are games that no one have ever heard of.

Hahaha.

Rath said:
"@Rath, Mario, Mario, Mario, Zelda. =)
25 mln. GC and 120 mln. PS2. End of story."

Are you trying to deny that Mario and Zelda are huge series?

If so then you sir, are not worth arguing with.

The PS2 won because it had far more series than are currently announced for the PS3 as well as a smarter price point and more early popularity.

PS2 had as exclusives-
Final Fantasy
GTA
MGS
GT
GoW
Devil May Cry
Guitar Hero
Ratchet and Clank (I forgot this one off the PS3 list)
Dragon Quest
Kingdom Hearts
Soul Calibur

I can probably go on but I think you got the idea, many of these have now either switched platform entirely (ie. DQ) are as yet unannounced (ie. KH) or are multiplatform (ie. GTA)

They may be multiplat, but they are still coming to the ps3. Imo, games like GTA will help both the 360 and ps3 against the Wii, and the exclusives like MGS4 will help the ps3 over the 360.

If 80% of the ps1's games had been multiplat, would it have dominated the N64? No.

I personally think that the ps3 will end up around 70-80 mil. at the end of its life. The Wii will probably have excelled well passed ps2 numbers by that point (probably close to 130 mil.), and the 360 will trail behind them both at around 35-45 mil.

I think that many casuals will jump on the Wii bandwagon, but I also believe that the casual demographic on the whole will be split. Some will go for controls, others for shiny visuals. Also, it seems that the ps3/360 are still getting quite a good bit of developer support compared to the Wii, something that the N64, GC, and Xbox did not have. The Wii will not have as dominant a game library as the ps2 had, as franchises like Soul Calibur will still be hitting the ps3/360 while only spin-offs will be hitting the Wii. The Wii will have the best line-up in the end (Zelda, Mario, No More Heroes, etc.) but it won't be as weighted as the ps1/2's.

In the end, I see the Wii getting most of the casual support, thus selling the most by far out of the three. However, a good bit of the casuals will still go for the ps3/360 because of graphics, GTA, etc., and out of those two, I think that the ps3 will gnab the larger portion. I think that exclusives from Sony's in-house development teams (Uncharted, inFamous, Resistance 2, Team Ico's next game), as well as those from major 3rd parties (MGS4, FFXIII, Tekken 6), combined with things like Blu-Ray playback, free online, hardware reliability, and most importantly "PlayStation" familiarity will propel the ps3 well passed the 360.

Overall, I think that the market will grow quite a bit over the coming years, so that even the console in third place will end up almost doubling the total sales of the GC/Xbox.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
weezy said:
What most fail to understand is how many ps2's each consumer bought.

I had to buy 2 and I knew many ppl who bought 3 because ps2 was an absolute fragile device.

So the numbers for ps2 are inflated by atleast 1.5x IMO

I wouldn't go that far.  I'd say 10% max... even though i did infact buy 3.

Id say about 10% in California!

im sticking with my 1.5x infated numbers due to broken console

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

The PS3 will finish 3rd in the US. That means it will reach 50 million MAX.

yes, i think it will. Slow start...but it'll get there. 10 million a year for 10 years on average.

CrazzyMan said:
@Stever89,
they gained marginally nothing year over year, and then decreased rapidly after the 3rd year.
ALL THESE speculations made on FIRST ps3 year.
IF PS3 will sell 16 mln. in 2008, then WHAT?

I really hate trying to prove a point against you, but oh well.

I never said that the PS3 won't have an increase in it's second year. The 360 had a 37% increase from it's first year sales to second year sales. I never said how it will end up. Same with the PS3. I merely said that the first few years are the most important. Also, just because I mentioned the GameCube and Xbox, I never said that the PS3 won't sell better than those two consoles. Even in the post that I was quoting, the end of gen sales for the PS3 was 40 million, which is better than the GameCube and Xbox.

And I'm sure you'll reply to this by quoting me wrong, and then saying something that is either not related to what I said or not really in the same area as what I said, followed by a =) 

makingmusic476 said: 

I personally think that the ps3 will end up around 70-80 mil. at the end of its life.  The Wii will probably have excelled well passed ps2 numbers by that point (probably close to 130 mil.), and the 360 will trail behind them both at around 35-45 mil. 

Strange prediction, since you believe (going by your sign) that X360 will have 25 mill by EOY 2008 (which means a brilliant 9 million units sold in the year), and PS3 at 19 mill.

You think in years 2009, 2010 and 2011 the X360 then will just ultra-die and sell only ~15 mill?

But the PS3 will in the same three years (plus 2012??) sell another ~50 mill?