By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sell Tokyo office building for 1.2 Billion dollars.

TruckOSaurus said:
And where are they transferring the 5,000 employees?

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
And where are they transferring the 5,000 employees?
They will stay in the same building... Sony sold the asset... not changed the location.

Its good to get their banks filled with cash, but renting usually costs more in the long run. Maybe they will buy them back after they are on better financial footing.

Just like the other building, given Sony's circumstances and need to take hold in their markets, this is a good move to finance their operations and restructuring. Credit isn't a very good option for them and neither is cutting up their divisions further, risking their ability to compete in those markets and produce modern/new products.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

sales2099 said:
Tsk Tsk. Owning is always better then renting. I would rather may a mortgage then throw my money away with paying rent on a apartment every month.

Sony is now a renter. Not only will the rent costs mount up month after month, year after year, but can anybody take them seriously as much? I know I can't if they can't even own their own buildings they operate in.

This is artificial means of showing a profit. This isn't change. Its a band-aid fix.

They're only in there for 5 years. I'm not sure how much rent would cost, but I can only guess they're making some good cash out of this, at least it gives them something to use in the short term so as to help pay that rent.

If they were renting for another 20 years I'd agree with you but that doesn't seem to be the case, and they have the time to buy again later when things get better. if things get better, which I'm only guessing they will.

Anyways that's the name of the game. In business sometimes you win sometimes you lose but Sony is betting on getting back in the green so it's a good move with that optic in mind. Thinking they will fail, of course, this is a very bad move. But expeting them to get back on track, this is a good move.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Chark said:
Just like the other building, given Sony's circumstances and need to take hold in their markets, this is a good move to finance their operations and restructuring. Credit isn't a very good option for them and neither is cutting up their divisions further, risking their ability to compete in those markets and produce modern/new products.

you kinda contradicted yourself.

it isnt so much a good move... more of a hobsons choice.

Yes it is Hobson, but there is no contradiction.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Dodece said:

Nippon Building Fund will take a 60 percent stake in the property, while another investor, which Sony did not name, will hold a 40 percent interest in the property, where Sony will continue to work for the next five years.

Nintendo entered the Real State business confirmed?

Thought it was going to be Hong Kong dollars

kowenicki said:

"There is no telling if they are paying rent"?  wtf?  They are either paying an ongoing rent or they paid it up front by way of a reduced selling price.  They are paying rent somehow, people dony buy buildings unless they can create a yield.

You are also assuming these will be staff serviced offices, which I doubt is the case for the duration of the Sony lease. 

But you can bet your bottom dollar thay are responsible for all business rates, heating, lighting and water costs.  Do you think people rent offices and get all of this thrown in?  You clearly dont know what you are talking about here.

I lease offices... I pay rent for the building.  ALL other costs are down to me except for required building maintenance. 

Sorry If I wasn't clear but I was referring to after Sony had fully vacated the building after 5 years. I may have this wrong in my head but I presumed this was to do with the 10k employee downsizing that Sony was planning and that they would not need that building anymore. I presumed there would be a staggered transfer or termination of employees for the next 5 years while sections of the building are leased out to other companies by the new owners as Sony moves out. If Sony have actually leased the entire building for the next 5 years and intend to keep it fully staffed for that time then that moots any of my points for the next 5 years, but I honestly think while they intend to use the building for the next 5 years they will reduce their presence in a staggered fashion while only renting (If it wasn't already included as part of the price) a smaller and smaller section of it. Again I may be wrong but given its suppose to be the nerve center for their TV department and that a large amount of the layoffs are in their TV department (or more vaguely 'panels' I guess) I just don't think they would keep renting the whole thing out.

You just can't please some people.

They are taking drastic measures to turn this company around. There is excitement around their new upcoming products. I think Sony is in the best position its been in years in terms of recovery.