By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Official Retro Games Thread (was: Atarians and other retro gamers assemble!)

richardhutnik said:
Mummelmann said:
I had a Commodore 64 and an Amiga 500 after that, good times! I also enjoyed the Atari Lynx, the only handheld I ever liked.

Been playing a lot of PC games since Ultima and Warcraft 1, but Betrayal at Krondor, Stone Prophet and Lands of Lore was what really made me crazy about gaming! And the old Lucasarts classics of course, point & click was da shizzle back in the day.

Which Lynx stuff?  For me, I have a place for Warbirds, Blue Lightning and also Todd's Adventure in Slimeworld.  Now, if I could only find the Lynx and games I have for it.  BLECH!

I personally ended up very much an Atari man myself, even on the computer side.

California Games, especially the BMX section! Surfing was near impossible though... Checkered Flag, which was surprisingly advanced along with the Lotus series on PC and Amiga. Double Dragon was pretty good, especially for a handheld version but I prefer the NES version. I also had Lemmings, both on Amiga and Lynx! Super Off Road was great as well!

Around the Network

The first system I ever played was the NES, but my family had a ColecoVision before that. My dad would stay up with my older brother and play Donkey Kong :)

Over the past few years, I've done my best to collect antique games and systems: Saturn, Dreamcast, even Jaguar and 3DO. I've also been playing old PC games on Steam and GOG.com. Just played Ultima I for the first time!

I still play my Atari VCS as well as my other pre NES stuff of which I maintain a large collection of. Every once in awhile I pull out my collection of Donkey Kong ports and compare them to each other as to the Arcade original. It's silly, but I find it interesting how different they are from each other. Few got everything right, but most got some right. One might have better graphics and speed and another might feel more like the Arcade.

Anyway, has anyone played Halo 2600? It's a really cool "new" Atari VCS game made by Ed Fries, one of the guys that brought Halo to Xbox. He did it all himself. I have the cartridge, but it's rare. You can play it online or in an emulator. Ed gave permission. For anyone who's both into retro games and modern games it's a treat.

This is the box art I made for it. If you do get a cartridge feel free to print this and the manual since they weren't sold with them.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xp1gmkqa7rj6b89

BTW you might get a kick out of this if you ever played Adventure for the Atari VCS:

The game's dragon looked like a mutated duck so I made this to prove that the same amount of pixels and frames could have looked like an actual dragon.

I started out on these machines:

Aaaah, those were the days! I still remember Rambo on the Commodore! It kicked ass! Well, when it would work it kicked ass ^^ And playing War Lords on the Amiga with my brothers was awesoooome! Then of course I moved on to this pure win:

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:

Aaaah, those were the days! I still remember Rambo on the Commodore! It kicked ass! Well, when it would work it kicked ass ^^ And playing War Lords on the Amiga with my brothers was awesoooome! Then of course I moved on to this pure win:

The Commodore is legendary!

You should do what I did. Pull it out and do an SD Card mod. No more fussing with floppies or tapes.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
DanneSandin said:

The Commodore is legendary!

You should do what I did. Pull it out and do an SD Card mod. No more fussing with floppies or tapes.

I don't even know if we still have it around =/ my brother might have thrown it away!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
The first system I ever played was the NES, but my family had a ColecoVision before that. My dad would stay up with my older brother and play Donkey Kong :)

Over the past few years, I've done my best to collect antique games and systems: Saturn, Dreamcast, even Jaguar and 3DO. I've also been playing old PC games on Steam and GOG.com. Just played Ultima I for the first time!

I played Donkey Kong on the Atari 8 bit computer and got all the levels and whatnot.  I think they shrunk the screen a bit though. so Donkey Kong ended up on the other side.  Played similar though.  

For me, I remember having an Apple II and college and seeing Ultima IV floating around the dorms.  At the time, that game was MASSIVE.  I couldn't believe how huge it was.  Oh the dreams of stuff, like imagining what Omnitrend's Universe and also Alternate Reality would be like.  I remember being a HUGE Atari fanboy, fighting the good fight agains the evil Commodore empire.  And then, in the end I end up with a Commodore 64 and also got a PC, so toned it down.  Still have a thing for Atari though.

No Intellivision love?  It was my first real system, although the NES was my first love.

I loved the Intellevision.  I had the Intellevision II as well.  those were some good times!

kjj4t9rdad said:

I loved the Intellevision.  I had the Intellevision II as well.  those were some good times!

Yeah, it was originally my brothers system, so when I first played it we already had a ton of games.  It had some sick multiplayer, lol.