By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and its lack of any reasonable sense when it comes to modern technology.

superchunk said:
radiantshadow92 said:
so are u gonna buy more games online with wiiU

Online gaming hasn't been an issue either.

As I mentioned, its only been when downloading content.

It's Nintendo Network, I have lately been having trouble streaming 120 refresh rate videos in the eShop lately (60 fps per image 3D).

But Nintendo said Quote: a lot of Nintendo's Servers are getting an "Emergency Update" end quote (Nintendo of America Quote, but it's not an exact quote).

Anyways, one of the many things will be Wii U stuff like its eShop.

It starts February 25 and will end in February 26 at 5 pm Pacific Time.

http://wiiublog.com/nintendo-has-online-maintenance-planned-for-february-26th/

There you go.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
NintendoPie said:

It only took you 26 hours to download and install Assassin's Creed III? Man, that's like... the future!!!

over 25hrs to download and less than 1hr to install... horrible.

It was much quicker for me, about 6 hours which it did overnight.  I have bought almost every title through didital download and never had times that slow.  Is your ISP throttling it? Does your router have an "optimitaion" feature enabled that is mooking it?

I have never had a problem downloading a lot of data from the eShop on Wii U or 3DS so far, so I'm leaning towards the whole regional server being an issue. Those Wii U firmware updates though... jesus christ...

superchunk said:

I mean seriously WTF?!!?!?!?!?!!!1

I have cable broadband internet. While I was downloading Assassin's Creed 3 on my WiiU I tested my connection on a ethernet connected PC and it had a download speed of over 21Mbps.

Yet, it took my WiiU on wifi-n... with no one else on the internet for majority of the time OVER 26HRS TO DOWNLOAD AND THEN INSTALL THE FUCKING GAME.

The install took 30 minutes by itself then another hour to download and install a patch.

This is simply unacceptable. I test my upstairs computer that is connected via the same wifi-n and has a worse connection due to distance and house walls, etc, and it has over a 17Mbps download speed.

I googled to see if there were any solutions and the only thing that really came up was to use a USB HDD as that bypassed the internal memory all together and supposedly demonstrated significant speed increases.

I just don't get it.

How can a company design a console completely around internet connect as its required for ALL of their new features. Yet, have a technical base that is pure shit and works worse than anything built in the last 10 years.

I mean Miiverse, NintendoTVii, all the 3rd party tools, great browser (that screams in speed btw), and the modern eShop with a full digital approach is all left to be a shit experience because of whatever crap Nintendo devised inside the box.

Is it the slow ass memory? Is it slow ass flash ram? WTF could possibly be going on in Nintendo's minds that they devised this big digital push with a HORRIBLE backbone.

All I have to say is that if the Spring update doesn't seriously improve the downloading, I'll never buy digital titles again from them. Hell, I may just stick to 1st party stuff I have to have and simply move to another console all together even when games are on both.

A 17GB file should NEVER take that long... ever. Ruined my entire hype to play the game. I should have spent the few extra bucks and just drove down and bought it on sale at Best Buy. At least my time to play would have been just the hour long damn patch. Which in itself is too long.

EDIT: btw, using this calculator and estimating the speeds my WiiU should be seeing based on my wifi-n connected PC... it should of taken between 1 and 3 hrs.

http://www.numion.com/calculators/time.html

Off topic, but does anyone know how to post videos to Facebook? 

NintendoPie said:

It only took you 26 hours to download and install Assassin's Creed III? Man, that's like... the future!!!

~ Said someone from 1999

Visions of downloading and trying to install Battlecruiser 3000 AD using a 56K modem dancing in my head (Bonus points for people who remember the Derek Smart flamewar on usenet in the day).  And yes, I am referring to the LEGALLY ability to download the game.  One version they had was given away.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
NintendoPie said:

~ Said someone from 1999

Visions of downloading and trying to install Battlecruiser 3000 AD using a 56K modem dancing in my head (Bonus points for people who remember the Derek Smart flamewar on usenet in the day).  And yes, I am referring to the LEGALLY ability to download the game.  One version they had was given away.

56k...  How about stepping up to a ISDN.

superchunk said:
radiantshadow92 said:

thats not what i asked xd..i just think u should have gotten ACIII on another system and evoided the long download times. does wiiU version have exclusive content or something?

RolStoppable said:
So... how do you like the game? I bet you will be even more pissed once you realize that you paid 40 bucks for a turd.

are u talking about acIII? have u even played it?

radiantshadow92 said:
superchunk said:
radiantshadow92 said:

thats not what i asked xd..i just think u should have gotten ACIII on another system and evoided the long download times. does wiiU version have exclusive content or something?

Downloading 20gb games can take a long time on any console or even pc.

Heck had to redownload witcher 2 not too long ago and that took a good 10 hours probably and is a 15 gb download.  

It doesn't matter what your connection is, you are downloading from a someone else.  Obviously Assassins Creed in this case didn't have enough seeders out there for this game.  Or however it works on consoles.  What I would be wondering about before bitching to Nintendo is who is the one sending you the game.  Is Ubisoft the ones in charge of the server sending out the download or is it on Nintendo?  

I hate people blaming someone before they know for a fact it is the person's fault.  I mean there have been games I have played that the online connection sucked ass, and it wasn't because of the console, it was because the games servers, which the game was in charge of not the console.

Maybe AC3 didn't think they would get many Wii U downloaders so they only have a few dedicated servers to sending the download.  Whereas on the PS3 they may have tripple that amount.  

Cause I've had super slow downloads on wii, 3ds, ps3, steam, 360, ect you name it.  I've also had super fast downloads on all of them.  So I'm not in a position from experience to say what would be th problem.  

They won last gen earning billions of dollars, billions more than you or I will ever earn in our lives.

/thread