By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will you go Digital Download only, next-gen?

Will you go Digital Download only, next-gen?

Yes 28 20.59%

No 64 47.06%

Only for non-retail games 43 31.62%

Total:135

It depends on if they allow all games to be fully installed or not. After putting a SSD in my PS3 and having them in my PC and laptop, I will never go back to HDD or disc streaming.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
It depends on if they allow all games to be fully installed or not. After putting a SSD in my PS3 and having them in my PC and laptop, I will never go back to HDD or disc streaming.

I thought SSDs in general did very little to game performance? For me, I don't bother with it because the games just take up too my space on my PC

Munkeh111 said:
KBG29 said:

I thought SSDs in general did very little to game performance? For me, I don't bother with it because the games just take up too my space on my PC

It really depends on the game when it comes to PS3. In games that stream a lot it makes a world of difference. Most games will typicaly load a couple seconds faster, and the OS is silky smooth all the time. Some examples of games that it made a difference on are, Killzone 2, Madden 2011, and GTA4. With the orginal 120GB HDD on my slim I had a slight pause between check points on K2, after the SSD no more. On Madden it would always hang up for a second after selecting plays, now its smooth as butter. With GTA it would have pop in with the HDDD, with the SSD crisp textures at all times.

On PC, wow, does it ever make a difference. 15 - 20 sec boot times, and every game is nearly 0 load times. It feels like the old days of cartridge gaming when you have a PC and a SSD.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

As long as I don't have to wait for the store update at 8pm or whatever time they decide to update it to download the game, I will probably buy more digital. I'll still get physical discs of all sony first party studio games.

KBG29 said:
Munkeh111 said:
KBG29 said:

It really depends on the game when it comes to PS3. In games that stream a lot it makes a world of difference. Most games will typicaly load a couple seconds faster, and the OS is silky smooth all the time. Some examples of games that it made a difference on are, Killzone 2, Madden 2011, and GTA4. With the orginal 120GB HDD on my slim I had a slight pause between check points on K2, after the SSD no more. On Madden it would always hang up for a second after selecting plays, now its smooth as butter. With GTA it would have pop in with the HDDD, with the SSD crisp textures at all times.

On PC, wow, does it ever make a difference. 15 - 20 sec boot times, and every game is nearly 0 load times. It feels like the old days of cartridge gaming when you have a PC and a SSD.

Really, most of what I had read online was that the game were basically coded to expect HDD read times, so it didn't make much difference

But I do definitely love having Windows on my SSD, fast booting is just great

Around the Network

ill probably buy more stuff digitally,but i like having the games i love as physical copies, it will be nice to have them in 20, 30 years and so and look at them and remember the awesome times they gave me

I didn't buy a single game for PC in the last years in a shop.
Always over Steam/Origin

I would do the same for the PS4.
Only exceptions are nice Limited Editions like the Japanese NiNoKuni with the Magic Master Book and stuff like that.
But that is pretty rare these days so 99% Digital probably NextGen on PC and consoles.

Since I'll likely be PC only, or damn close, I'll probably go digital only.