By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will you go Digital Download only, next-gen?

Will you go Digital Download only, next-gen?

Yes 28 20.59%

No 64 47.06%

Only for non-retail games 43 31.62%

Total:135

Your 3rd poll option doesn't even make sense.

OT: I'm going retail almost exclusively just like this gen. I might buy a digital title here and there but retail is where its at.

Around the Network

I will only go digital for games I can't get physical copies of

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Half my purchases are already digital (XBLA and Steam) so assuming 2-3 gens from now it will be almost 100%.

It's just that simple.

i'll go with physical copies of games for as long as possible.

If in the future it's digital only, what happens if your console stops working??

Around the Network
archer9234 said:
Munkeh111 said:
I will stay mostly physical. With my PC, I get physical games whenever they have Steamworks support, so there I get the nice box to sit on my shelf and convenience that comes with Steam

While I would love for Sony to have the same approach, what with used games they almost certainly won't, but I will still be staying physical for consoles. I just love having the boxes in a nice collection even though it is probably less practical

Yes. This would be the better of the two. Origin and steamworks games do what I love. You can buy your phsycial copy. But can also register the key and install the game from the disc (please don't say downloading games like GTA4 is a walk in the park). But don't need the disc in the drive. Nor have the program to be active. You have your perminate safe backup. You can't rely on these services to still be there for decades. Plus, I want to own what I buy. And, what are the actors/creators gonna sign? My ipad?

There are a few issues with this:

1. No used games

2. You don't actually get the security of having your own stuff, the discs are worthless without access to the Origin or Steam servers

But I like it personally

Physical only for Retail games. I really want to go digital because it would save space but I don't trust we are fully there yet. I want to know that I can still play my games years from now. What if my system breaks? What if my younger cousin accidentally deletes my games or erases them? I don't want to deal with the potential mess if something goes wrong.

Given a choice......... no.

If gaming continues to go in this direction however, then so be it.

I'd rather have it in the palm of my hands. If I don't have a choice to acquire the game in my reality, then I'll force myself to get digitally...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

For me physical will also be my first choice. Some of the cool boxart you can own plus not having to rely on download times to be able to play the game are some major upsides to retail.

That and when im done with a game i like to trade it in for moar games. When you can do this with digital i will convert.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)