By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will you go Digital Download only, next-gen?

Will you go Digital Download only, next-gen?

Yes 28 20.59%

No 64 47.06%

Only for non-retail games 43 31.62%

Total:135

Last week at Sonys PS4 meeting, they announced a lot of really cool digital download features.

-You will be able to play a game WHILE it is downloading. No more waiting. You simply download a game, play it, and the rest of the game downloads in the background. This is a game changer for me. 

-Downloads will be faster

-Every PS4 game will be released on PSN the same day it is out in stores

-PS4's HDD will come with 250-500GB at the very least. This wasnt announced but we all know they will be stacked with enough space to fit a lot of games. This is also big for me, since my PS3 only had 60GB and was constantly filled up. 

-Games will boot up within seconds. This means you wont have to wait a long time when ending a game and starting up a new game. It will make it very convinient to switch games if theyre already on your HDD.

Personally I like the idea of having my entire library of games downloaded on the system. I will go DD-only next gen. 

I'd also like to ask the members of VGChartz.... How much do you think DD will affect vgchartz sales figures next-gen? I think in 4-5 years about 40-50% of game sales will take place over PSN and XBL. 

Will we be able to "game share" full games on PS4, the way we were able to on PS3? 

Around the Network

I will do it a lot more than this gen but I won't go 100% digital. There will be some games with some badass boxarts :D

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I will gladly go digital only, but only if the price is right. I won't be buying games digitally if I can get them in retail cheaper. Plus I expect digital games to cost less than their retail counterparts. If there is no difference then I'd much rather have a physical copy of the game. If there is a difference as there should be because it is costing them less, then I'd buy a digital copy no questions asked.

I don't really care for keeping physical copies at all.

For me it's all about convenience, and I think DD is the way to go.

I have the PS card so I get a 10% return toward stuff I buy on PSN. Plus it avoids tax.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Chark said:
I have the PS card so I get a 10% return toward stuff I buy on PSN. Plus it avoids tax.

What is a PS card and how to get one?

It is a US credit card through Capital One. No annual fee but a 13.9% APR. The 10% is also 1% towards any purchase, 2% towards fast food chains. They come in the form of Sony Rewards, so you can buy a large variety of Sony electronics, games, and cards. Signing up lands you $50 PSN credit (actually 5,000($50) in Sony Rewards points so you can spend it on whatever) and a 12th month PS+ subscription (not sure if that is another 5,000 points or an actual code).

Since I finance all of my purchases through the card I've racked up a lot of points in just over a year. I've managed to get a PS 3D Display, Killzone Collection, Sorcery, and Twisted Metal with 10,000($100) to spare.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/26/limited-time-playstation-card-offer-free-12-month-plus-subscription-50-psn-voucher/

Physical copies for me only. As I want to be able to enjoy my games 10-20years from now.

Physical. I rather always have a perminate backup to my stuff. And not rely on companies to keep my stuff always available. I'll go 100% DD when physical is fully gone.

archer9234 said:
Physical. I rather always have a perminate backup to my stuff. And not rely on companies to keep my stuff always available. I'll go 100% DD when physical is fully gone.

You could always back them up on an external drive.

Chark said:
archer9234 said:

You could always back them up on an external drive.

I'd just be replacing discs with hard drives then. Say every game is gonna be 50GB for now on. That's only 20 games per 1TB drive. And they fail when they like to. Plus, wasting couple hundered dollars for a drive and a backup of that drive, just in case. Discs are easier still. Net is still crap speeds.  And I don't have to worry about dropping them.