By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't understand how anyone could ever trust MS's Next after this gen :/

Do you still trust MS enough to get their Next Console?

Yes 265 34.06%

No 512 65.81%

Total:777

wow OP, Richardhutnick kinda set you straight didn't he... didn't he!

Around the Network

forevercloud3000 said, with regard to the Sony Playstation: "The fact they refused to do so was part of their downfall this gen, remember?"

and there you have it, right from the horses mouth. now I understand all the vitriol for Microsoft... no wonder he hates them so.
lol.

forevercloud3000 said:
disolitude said:
Sevengen said:
Or why you'd proclaim loyalty to a gaming company that's only had 1 original idea for nearly two decades. Wait a minute, to be honest, Sony weren't the first ones to release a CD-based machine were they, so my mistake, make that 0 original ideas in nearly the past two decades.

well to be fair sony did have an idea to sell hardware at a loss to squeeze the smaller guy.  it worked until they ran in to a bigger fish willing to under cut them on price for similar hardware.  

they also showed everyone how to moneyhat timed 3rd party exclusives. look at their big holiday lineup for 1995s ps1 launch, all 3rd party...battle arena toshinden wipeout destruction derby...all made it to sega saturn 6 months to a year later.

Sony has stated time and again, that they never paid for outright exclusivity. Beleive it or not, some business deals can be made without the exchanging of funds to persuade opinion. Sony simply talked a better game. Whether they do now is another question, as MS's raising of this standard might have forced their hand. The fact they refused to do so was part of their downfall this gen, remember?

paying money...talking the better game... what difference does it make? both resulted in timed exclusives... come on, i thought timed exclusives are for loser companies. only true exclusives matter.

downfall this gen has very little to do with lack of timed exclusive talk. it has to do with being a year late with similar hardware and worse features while being more expensive. only thing that saved sony was the playstation brand. if microsoft released the ps3 it would have been xbox 1 sales scenario all over again.

forevercloud3000 said:
disolitude said:
Sevengen said:
Or why you'd proclaim loyalty to a gaming company that's only had 1 original idea for nearly two decades. Wait a minute, to be honest, Sony weren't the first ones to release a CD-based machine were they, so my mistake, make that 0 original ideas in nearly the past two decades.

well to be fair sony did have an idea to sell hardware at a loss to squeeze the smaller guy.  it worked until they ran in to a bigger fish willing to under cut them on price for similar hardware.  

they also showed everyone how to moneyhat timed 3rd party exclusives. look at their big holiday lineup for 1995s ps1 launch, all 3rd party...battle arena toshinden wipeout destruction derby...all made it to sega saturn 6 months to a year later.

Sony has stated time and again, that they never paid for outright exclusivity. Beleive it or not, some business deals can be made without the exchanging of funds to persuade opinion. Sony simply talked a better game. Whether they do now is another question, as MS's raising of this standard might have forced their hand. The fact they refused to do so was part of their downfall this gen, remember?

Your original charge against the XBox 360 was against TIMED exclusives.  This is your words:

Timed Exclusivity: A ridiculous  trade off from real exclusivity if you ask me. I always felt full exclusive games encouraged the best kind of  competition. Mario's success would spur Crash, GT would ignite PGR/Forza, etc, etc. The fact that there are less exclusives these days means there is less reason to buy any particular console(which is what MS wanted) but it also means developers don't have to try nearly as hard to court a fanbase.....and most often, Multiplats feel like a poor man's exclusive Version.

If you want to speak about the past and whatnot, and say before the PS3 Sony didn't do this, that is fine.  But if you dare go down the PS3 path and say Sony hasn't done this, I suggest you google: "Ghostbusters PS3 Moneyhat".  You will find stuff on it that would refute you.  Also, the PS3 has gotten a number of exclusive content on their own.  If you want to think that is out of the goodness of the company's hearts, because they worship the ground Sony walks on, you seriously need to look yo how business works.

Sevengen said:

That ends up pretty easy to do, when a partisan talks trolling smack.  It is pretty sad to try to do that, because one can google, and within a minute or two end up finding stuff to refute nonsense, if you look.

I will say that the RROD issue should make one take pause to think about buying another Microsoft console.  It would likely be best to wait to see if they repeat again.  Other issues are secondary, and Sony has its own issues.  As of now, the fact that you can't play PS3 games you own on the PS4 (anyone SERIOUSLY think Sony is keeping track of what games you own so you don't need to rebuy them, after they pulled backwards compatibility of the PS2 on the PS3?) has caused me to take pause and wonder if I should even bother getting a PS3 again at this point.

Around the Network

i dont like to talk about the past, with that in mind right now psn plus offers way more than xbox live(i have both services),but i dont like the idea of paying subscription for online gaming. On the 3 year warranty thing the truth is that it was bad to everyone cause people from outside the us had to wait like 3 months for the console to come back(I am from Puerto Rico and it happened to me) so we ended buying another one . About the abandoning the hardcore, about that i would say that yeah some how the last days of the xbox 360 look a lot like the first days of the ps3 but i dont consider it abandoning a fan base.

I am the new kid in town!!!

I rarely ever post on this site ever but this caught my attention. As far as I read this thread up to page 5, people just seem to see you as a sony fan who has no idea what they're talking about. I myself, have been an Xbox/xbox360 fan for a very long time. In the end, I have been thinking over the past few months that I realized I've been virtually robbed by MS for at least 7 years. I've been paying to play online for far too long and it does feel like buying a ps3 over 360 could've been cheaper in the long run. I've also had a problem with my 360, TWICE. And guess what SINGLE franchise got me into the Xbox in the 1st place....Halo. I was a total Halo nerd for too long, and don't get me wrong, I still love Halo for it's universe, it's just that it's owned my MS that I feel is recently upsetting me. Well I don't want to get into so much detail now, but this is now coming from someone who now plays on PC/WiiU on a normal basis. I just want to support the OP that just because OP is a sony fan, shouldn't immediately make him biased against MS.

I've learned to let Xbox owners live in their little delusions.

moderated Kasz216

richardhutnik said:

I will say that the RROD issue should make one take pause to think about buying another Microsoft console.  It would likely be best to wait to see if they repeat again.

The RRoD was an unfortunate problem for MS, although they did handle it graciously eventually. I was sceptical of the 360 at launch because I was aware of it having to deal with the lead-free soldering laws which had just come in. It's no excuse for MS, but it did affect others, notably NVidia. I doubt MS would allow such a costly gremlin to creep in again, especially after the RRoD took some momentum out of the 360's sales.

richardhutnik said:
Sevengen said:

That ends up pretty easy to do, when a partisan talks trolling smack.  It is pretty sad to try to do that, because one can google, and within a minute or two end up finding stuff to refute nonsense, if you look.

I will say that the RROD issue should make one take pause to think about buying another Microsoft console.  It would likely be best to wait to see if they repeat again.  Other issues are secondary, and Sony has its own issues.  As of now, the fact that you can't play PS3 games you own on the PS4 (anyone SERIOUSLY think Sony is keeping track of what games you own so you don't need to rebuy them, after they pulled backwards compatibility of the PS2 on the PS3?) has caused me to take pause and wonder if I should even bother getting a PS3 again at this point.

with all the money in lost revenue from the RROD, in addition to the massive expense of extended warranties on the 360, I would think MS's next machine's gonna be built like a brick #@%# house. You'll be able to run that thing over with a buick, take it for a swim in the pool, shotput it against an alley wall.... and I bet you could hook it right back up and play Halo 5.  There's no way they didn't learn the first time around... too much $ lost.