By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 specs aren't final!

kljesta64 said:
2gb of ram confirmed :D

they are just playing cat and mouse with microsoft

i agree with that one. NOT 2gb but the cat and mouse. Microsoft can come with a slightly more affordable console not "really" care how much they lose per console.

Around the Network

KBG29 said:

GPUs with 3 and 4GB of RAM are fairly new to the market, and they will start to see that be used very soon. It will not be long before 6, 8, 10, and 12GB cards are on the market.

Have you looked at a GeForce Titan board? This is the end of the line as far as memory is concerned. It will be a long time until we see cards with more than 6G memory. Probably die-shrinks will allow 4GBit chips, maybe some form of stacking (with ingenious cooling) will allow more. Not going to happen this year.

Not finished yet? Good! I hope they slap on a Cell in one model so it can play ps3 games through the optical drive. I'd buy that even if that verison is $100 more than the standard version.

ils411 said:
Not finished yet? Good! I hope they slap on a Cell in one model so it can play ps3 games through the optical drive. I'd buy that even if that verison is $100 more than the standard version.

I take that as an irony post.

Of course the hardware specs are done and sealed. There won't be any changes anymore to the specs. All the material has been ordered, some of it months ago, if not a year ago. You really should not try to analyse Trettonspeak (pure PR guy), you might better try Yoshidaspeak.

Yoshida - being asked about Tretton's comments - simply clarified that the DulaShock controller might have a slight change in the end. And they didn't show a PS4 at the event to prevent anyone (or, more obvious, SomeOne) from even having the slightest chance of seeing/touching the mainboard (or even the connectors on the mainboard). Formula 1 racing is now prepping up for this coming season. There are dozens of reporters with dozens of cameras each, photographing every detail from the competitors' cars day and night. Same cabaret would have happened at the event, with the occasional, accidental bumping of people into other people guarding "the real stuff"

Around the Network
drkohler said:
KBG29 said:

GPUs with 3 and 4GB of RAM are fairly new to the market, and they will start to see that be used very soon. It will not be long before 6, 8, 10, and 12GB cards are on the market.

Have you looked at a GeForce Titan board? This is the end of the line as far as memory is concerned. It will be a long time until we see cards with more than 6G memory. Probably die-shrinks will allow 4GBit chips, maybe some form of stacking (with ingenious cooling) will allow more. Not going to happen this year.

Yes I have seen the Titan, and I think it is very indicitive of what the GTX 700 series will bring on high end chips memory wise. As for going above 6GB, I don't see it happening until GTX 800 series cards arrive, and at that point it will probably only go to 8GB. The beauty of PC though is that tech is always shrinking and evolving, and those improvments are availabe on a yearly or less bases. If these consoles again last 7 years, 2020, it is going to be a much different world in the tech space by that point. Hell by the end of 2015 things will be much different than they are now.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Comments such as these lead to the logical conclusion that the unveiling was obviously premature. Which isn't at all surprising since Sony didn't showcase a working model at their event. I know what I am about to say is going to most likely be outright ignored, but I am going to say it anyway. Sony not having a finalized design at this point in time should be genuinely distressing to the fans. Sony is basically trying to throw a console together overnight, and that has never been a formula for quality workmanship.

That is actually a formula for disaster, because it could, and probably will result in Sony truncating the testing phase for their hardware. It is not as if we as gamers haven't seen the consequences of this first hand. This is a leading contender to explain why early 360s had a massive tendency to go Chernobyl. This kind of time table isn't going to allow Sony the time it needs to run anything close to a real world stress test on their hardware, and maybe barely enough time to bug test the installed software.

Lastly these comments aren't ambiguous in the least. Though I can see why some of you might try to argue that they are. He is talking about known specs being subject to change, because there would be no point to inform the public. About changes to things that they didn't know about in the first place. It actually makes a great deal of sense when you take into consideration Sony's financial situation, and the global economic situation.

Sony just doesn't have the cash reserves, or the credit worthiness to run the risk of over estimating a uncertain future marketplace. You can credit them for wanting to push the envelope with their technology, but that doesn't mean that they can, or even should throw all caution to the wind. If the global economy sees a sharp downturn they obviously want to have the option to pare back their hardware. To keep it affordable not just for consumers, but for them as well.

I for one wouldn't be shocked in the least if they had to scuttle a couple cores in their final design. It would simply be a matter of the most expedient solution. Cutting back on the power wouldn't require them to radically redesign the hardware, and wouldn't require them to change their business plan. It wouldn't even be instantly apparent in the final product. Just in the graphics of games a few years down the line. Once developers start to get the most out of the hardware.

It might be a problem then, but with good fortune it could be a problem in a drastically improved economy for a company that might have better financial prospects at that time. Now I am going to say something that is probably also going to get ignored. Sony obviously doesn't have a strategy of its own, and thus isn't in control of its own destiny in this industry. That is why they are still dithering on their specifications, and that was why their event was a straight up strategic failure.

If Sony intended to strike first then a strategy of rapid dominance was called for rather then what amounted to a reconnaissance in force. The net result of which makes them look timid and uncertain. Comments like this add to that impression. Effectively they are saying that they might change their minds. Now they don't even get the best of what they could have gotten, and have given a edge to their competitors. If not the initiative.

Yep, cos they're totally gonna drop from 8 gb of ram to 4 gb of ram. With no backwards compatability at launch, that could make the PS4 the only console to ever release with literally no games.

He means minor changes, not halving the Ram.

Hopefully he means tiny things, otherwise (as Dodece said) they're going to run into the problem of not having sufficient time to test the console in it's final retail state and wrapping.

ethomaz said:

That's minor changes... the project is already defined... the CPU, GPU, 8GB GDDR is already confirmed and that's will not change.

I can see a minor change in the clock of CPU and GPU... that's easy to put the GPU at 850Mhz and give us 1.96 TFLOPS.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  They will probably wait for MS to annonce their console, and if rumors are correct that they will have the exact same CPU, I could see Sony upping the clock on it to have a slight advantage over the NeXbox.  I could also see them upping the GPU clock to get it closer to 2TFLOPS.  Which would be great for the game visuals, since apparently the games we saw at the meeting were only running on 4GB of RAM (and obviously using currently listed clock speeds.)  Plus, they didn't specify how many USB ports they had or how big the HDD was going to be, so obviously the specs aren't final.  They may also choose to use a 8X or 10x Blu-ray player instead, as these would still be very cheap to include.