By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So from the looks of it the PS4 is going to be affordable?

From what you seen the PS4 can do what do you think is a reasonable price

$199 5 2.56%

$249 0 0%

$299 6 3.08%

$349 11 5.64%

$399 53 27.18%

$449 43 22.05%

$499 55 28.21%

$545 7 3.59%

$599 11 5.64%

(Please not higher then $600) 4 2.05%

Total:195

400/500

Looks cheap to me in the days people blow 500 for a cell phone every year, and sneakers cost near 200

Around the Network

If there was no Psychological barrier for video game consoles then this should really launch for $600. I mean it should theoretically last you 7 years before the new one comes out. I'm thinking Sony takes maybe a $50-$100 loss for each sold and launch for $399. They will make up the costs by online subs

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/sony-flexible-on-playstation-4-cost

It definitely won't be PS3 expensive, and I am thinking Sony will try to compete with MS. $400 sounds fair to me, and I doubt MS will try to sell a console much more than that if at all, but what do I know.

I think it'd be awesome if Sony's second SKU lacked all the bells and whistles and sold at $300 dollars like good ol' PS1 and PS2. To get it at that price point I am sure they'd have to gut the system of the OS (it'd have a bare minimum version that could boot the game and allow users to play online), the additional ram to power the extra features that don't directly affect gameplay, hdd, any the extra ports and even things like Wi-fi, but I am willing to bet a lot of parents would buy it so their kids could just play next-gen games at an affordable price. And if they wanted to upgrade and get the full experience they could buy add-ons in the future (basically described the XBox 360 Arcade SKU, I think). But who am I kidding. Wishful thinking on my part I guess.

$399 is the highest I'll go. If not, I'll stick with PS3 until the price drops and more games.

Ppl need to not forget that in addition to the specs you need to add the cost for the dualshock4 and that camera that from I heard is a pretty high resed 3D camera.

I believe 449-499 is likely.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Around the Network

It's Sony though and they don't exactly seem to learn from their mistakes... I'm hoping for a 4-500 dollar launch price but I'm thinking theyll try for more with a price cut planned if things don't work out.

BaldrSkies said:
Hardware component costs are a bad way to actually place a value on a console because it fails to take into account the R&D costs associated with developing the device.

This includes everything from designing a functioning device, to developing the OS, to distributing test and developer models, to building the network infrastructure to support the device, to paying the man-hours associated with developing the device, to potential productivity lost on other projects by devoting said man-hours on this project instead, etc.

I realize people want a simple way to put a value on a product but it's not simple at all.

Don't forget the obvious CONTROLLER and CAMERA that come with the PS4.

I love how in all these price things, they never mention them.

Nsanity said:
What about bundled headset, camera and manufacturing costs?

people think it's free to screw the parts together...

Sad thing is that whatever price they choose to go with seems to give them a disadvantage of some form: 349-399 is pretty much necessary for many people to consider it over the Wii U, while probably bringing heavy losses per system sold. 449 should only bring minor losses but is too expensive for people not to wait for a price cut or simply buying a Wii U/Xbox 3 (depending on the latter's price). Heck, sticking with the PS3 is an additional option.

So yeah, this doesn't look too good. I think they'll settle for 449 though.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

$400 to make a reasonable profit. 300-350 to make customers happy

$400 to make a profit? You're dreaming.

Read the updated op, then consider this.

The price of the parts does not equal the price at retail. The original 3DS had $100 of parts, and Nintendo was taking a loss at $170. The Vita has $160 of parts, and Sony is taking a minor loss or breaking even at $250.

You're forgetting the cost of shipping, assembely, advertising etc.......... A lot of $$$.

$449-$549 price.