By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can anyone explain to me why people are obsessed with how the PS4 looks like?

quoting shit-taku
They purposely let out a tweet saying "ps4 doesn't use discs. digital only" and then deleted it right after just for hits.

Around the Network

I am a Sony fan–not a fanboy, but I've bought and continue to buy their home consoles– and I'll say it myself, I was surprised to not see a reveal of the actual box. I thought that the presentation was fine, great even. I even told my girlfriend that I knew what what I wanted for Christmas this year (PS4, doy, haha). But I, like many others as evidenced by the sheer volume of posts/articles across numerous gaming sites (this evidence without numbers may be anecdotal, but that doesn't mean it's inaccurate, just surf for yourself) expected a proper reveal of the box at the end, so I agree with sales2099. Would have been a good climax to 2 hours of buildup.

Sure they gave us a lot of info, and I understand that there needs to be something left for E3 and the rest of the year to keep the hype train going before release. That's business. Maybe E3 can really show us the power of the PS4 through its unannounced games. But there are a few things one expects to see in an event like this. I was hoping for pricing, but I am not sorely disappointed that we didn't get that. Still Sony should have at least showed us something physical outside of the controller. Even if it's ugly or needs tweaking because of the innards not being finalized till recently, they could have at least given us a taste of their design. This is a (presumably) expensive piece of hardware that will be the hub of a lot of people's entertainment centers. Currently my PS3 takes that spot, and I'll probably get the PS4 even if it looks like a turd (I might just hide it), but a lot of people won't.

And remember when the boomerang PS3 controller was shown how many people gave Sony flack for it? Imagine how many people would not buy the system just for that feature. Crisis averted, thankfully. Now, just imagine if their box is a disaster and they reveal it only 3 or 4 months before launch? People like to think it's all about the games, but in a media driven world, aesthetics and style matter. Just look at how successful Apple is (and I'm not trolling apple, I am writing from a macbook).

I hope its an orb

sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:
sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:
sales2099 said:
http://kotaku.com/5985847/so-i-guess-were-supposed-to-just-imagine-the-ps4

This is a console reveal. You need to show the console. It's a psychological thing: We need to see the box that will power the games and experiences the PS4 offers. Otherwise, the PS4 will feel incredibly abstract. It won't feel real.

Worse yet, it makes it feel like there was no payoff to the PS4 reveal. No, here's the new controller, here are the new cool games, and finally, here is the machine that will make it all happen. Bam, bam, bam. We're one bam too short, and that's unsatisfying. The entire evening never built to a climax. It just ended, sorely missing that one last bam.

Sorry but when did they say it was the reveal of the PS4? All I got was "PlayStation Meeting".

lol please do not play that card. Everybody expected a PS4 conference. Talking about Vita so they can legally say "PS Meeting" is just dodging the issue.

And did we not get a PS4 heavy conference. An hour and a half talking about the PS4. I guess because they didn't show the console itself discards everything else that was shown during the conference, correct? Hilarity at it's finest my friend.

I refer you to the kotaku article. Your idea of hilarity is disturbing :P

"We need to see the box that will power the games and experiences the PS4 offers. Otherwise, the PS4 will feel incredibly abstract. It won't feel real. Worse yet, it makes it feel like there was no payoff to the PS4 reveal. No, here's the new controller, here are the new cool games, and finally, here is the machine that will make it all happen. Bam, bam, bam. We're one bam too short, and that's unsatisfying. The entire evening never built to a climax. It just ended, sorely missing that one last bam."

If this is a non issue, then its funny since I see a ton of Sony fans on damage control, insisting its not a big deal. Well clearly a lot more people seem to disagree.

Leave it to the guy with a halo avatar to get up in arms about how the PS4 will look like. Now that's hilarious.

It's obvious some people are concerned with how the PS4 will look like but has sony ever made an ugly-looking console? Not really. They are conservative in design, so i think we should all unknoted our panties and rest easy that it will be a nice looking console.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

I don't think people are obsessing over this. But "where was the console" is a good question when there was none shown at a Console Reveal.

Around the Network
Areym said:
sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:
sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:
sales2099 said:

This is a console reveal. You need to show the console. It's a psychological thing: We need to see the box that will power the games and experiences the PS4 offers. Otherwise, the PS4 will feel incredibly abstract. It won't feel real.

Worse yet, it makes it feel like there was no payoff to the PS4 reveal. No, here's the new controller, here are the new cool games, and finally, here is the machine that will make it all happen. Bam, bam, bam. We're one bam too short, and that's unsatisfying. The entire evening never built to a climax. It just ended, sorely missing that one last bam.

Sorry but when did they say it was the reveal of the PS4? All I got was "PlayStation Meeting".

lol please do not play that card. Everybody expected a PS4 conference. Talking about Vita so they can legally say "PS Meeting" is just dodging the issue.

And did we not get a PS4 heavy conference. An hour and a half talking about the PS4. I guess because they didn't show the console itself discards everything else that was shown during the conference, correct? Hilarity at it's finest my friend.

"We need to see the box that will power the games and experiences the PS4 offers. Otherwise, the PS4 will feel incredibly abstract. It won't feel real. Worse yet, it makes it feel like there was no payoff to the PS4 reveal. No, here's the new controller, here are the new cool games, and finally, here is the machine that will make it all happen. Bam, bam, bam. We're one bam too short, and that's unsatisfying. The entire evening never built to a climax. It just ended, sorely missing that one last bam."

If this is a non issue, then its funny since I see a ton of Sony fans on damage control, insisting its not a big deal. Well clearly a lot more people seem to disagree.

Leave it to the guy with a halo avatar to get up in arms about how the PS4 will look like. Now that's hilarious.

It's obvious some people are concerned with how the PS4 will look like but has sony ever made an ugly-looking console? Not really. They are conservative in design, so i think we should all unknoted our panties and rest easy that it will be a nice looking console.

You should evolve your ideas of what you consider hilarious. "Up in arms" implies that I have to explain myself due to damage control when its the PS fans trying to explain to everybody else why it doesn't matter....

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

You have to understand, this has nothing to do with how it looks. When you make it your job to want to put something down, you got to use whatever excuses are at your disposal.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

sales2099 said:
Areym said:
sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:
sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:
sales2099 said:

You should evolve your ideas of what you consider hilarious. "Up in arms" implies that I have to explain myself due to damage control when its the PS fans trying to explain to everybody else why it doesn't matter....

This "it matters" debate is subjective. I don't think it matters. You think it matters. You can try to prove to me why it's important, while i can do the same, to no avail for either side cause we have different opinions. Do you see why this is gonna get us no where?

Lord forbid people have different opinions on a topic of debate.  Also, i mean hilarious as in you're obviously a 360 lackie out to defame and put down the great and all mighty, master race PlayStation over something as trivial as a console design (That's my opinion of you and this situation, btw ;] )

PS: I got a smiley face so you can totally tell I'm not serious :D

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

All of a sudden, looks don't matter, say the same guys who would constantly trash the Gamecube for how it looked.

Hypocrites...

I kinda wanted to see it just because they were hyping all PS4! PS4 reveal!

And then we see the controller. I watched an hr for this? Lemme see the actual friggen box already.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)