By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can anyone explain to me why people are obsessed with how the PS4 looks like?

scottie said:

Ok, the only thing more ridiculous than caring so much about what the box looks like is claiming that "they showed all the meaningful things that we want to know: Specs, controller, games, networking, integration with other devices, etc."

Price?
Release Date?
What big games it will have?

What it looks like is probably more important to a lot of people than it interacting with the Vita, or even social networking features. The overwhelming majority of PS4 users will not use either of those 2, but this box is going to be sitting next to your tv for years. It's good to know what it will look like.

Every time a new colour is released for an old console people get hyped up that it will increase sales, so I think we are justified in caring a little what it looks like - it will have a huge impact upon sales.

I agree that the look of something can affect the sales it receives but the bolded should never have been expected. That info is usually saved for E3, just like how it looks will be revealed there. Most people did not expect to learn the price or release date, even a preconference show on gametrailers with Geoff Keighly and two other guys were talking about how that stuff wouldn't be revealed at the conference.

So far the new Killzone is a confirmed launch title and i'm assuming we will learn the rest at E3 :p

Around the Network

Didnt microsoft show their first console at a mtv event? 

"We're in the business of making money" said by every company ever known

UnitSmiley said:
scottie said:

Ok, the only thing more ridiculous than caring so much about what the box looks like is claiming that "they showed all the meaningful things that we want to know: Specs, controller, games, networking, integration with other devices, etc."

Price?
Release Date?

What it looks like is probably more important to a lot of people than it interacting with the Vita, or even social networking features. The overwhelming majority of PS4 users will not use either of those 2, but this box is going to be sitting next to your tv for years. It's good to know what it will look like.

Every time a new colour is released for an old console people get hyped up that it will increase sales, so I think we are justified in caring a little what it looks like - it will have a huge impact upon sales.

I agree that the look of something can affect the sales it receives but the bolded should never have been expected. That info is usually saved for E3, just like how it looks will be revealed there. Most people did not expect to learn the price or release date, even a preconference show on gametrailers with Geoff Keighly and two other guys were talking about how that stuff wouldn't be revealed at the conference.

So far the new Killzone is a confirmed launch title and i'm assuming we will learn the rest at E3 :p

1) You bolded the entire thing. Were you manually typing your [b.] tags? Because you have to use [/b.] to end a tag, not

2) I never particularly said that price/launch date were expected. I just pointed out that  the sentance "they showed all the meaningful things that we want to know" is not correct. Price is meaningful, we want to know it, they didn't show it. What it looks like IS meaningful to a large proportion of gamers, a lot of people want to know it, they didn't show it. You can argue they gave us enough detail, and I shall remain silent. But you cannot say that they gave us all meaningful details that we want to know.

As for them showing Killzone, that's not particularly relevant to my point. I think it was a good game to show, to demonstrate the PS4's power, the guys who make it seem to be good at making good graphics (not the best on offer, but good) in a short amount of time. GT:PS4, the Final Fantasy game etc are no doubt a long way from being ready to show off. Regardless, I do think Sony needed to announce - not show gameplay footage - just announce a concrete, main series game from a popular established franchise, and announce that it will be released within 2 months of the PS4. If PS4 releases with Killzone as the flagship game, hardware sales will be VERY low regardless of price

scottie said:

Price?
Release Date?

this! why do you guys think sony relases the same console, with the same specs, same design, same hardware with just a different paint job, is it because they know people will buy it based solely on how it looks. Im sorry but saying that how the system looks doesnt matter is dumb, it might not matter to you but it definately matters. 

"We're in the business of making money" said by every company ever known

scottie said:
UnitSmiley said:
scottie said:

Price?
Release Date?

1) You bolded the entire thing. Were you manually typing your [b.] tags? Because you have to use [/b.] to end a tag, not

2) I never particularly said that price/launch date were expected. I just pointed out that  the sentance "they showed all the meaningful things that we want to know" is not correct. Price is meaningful, we want to know it, they didn't show it. What it looks like IS meaningful to a large proportion of gamers, a lot of people want to know it, they didn't show it. You can argue they gave us enough detail, and I shall remain silent. But you cannot say that they gave us all meaningful details that we want to know.

As for them showing Killzone, that's not particularly relevant to my point. I think it was a good game to show, to demonstrate the PS4's power, the guys who make it seem to be good at making good graphics (not the best on offer, but good) in a short amount of time. GT:PS4, the Final Fantasy game etc are no doubt a long way from being ready to show off. Regardless, I do think Sony needed to announce - not show gameplay footage - just announce a concrete, main series game from a popular established franchise, and announce that it will be released within 2 months of the PS4. If PS4 releases with Killzone as the flagship game, hardware sales will be VERY low regardless of price

Oops I apologize I didn't mean to bold the whole thing. Yeah I usually type out the and but I guess I forgot the "/" at the end.

I dunno dude, Killzone does fairly well and this new one looks great graphically AND aesthetically. (yay, colors) if Sony makes a big deal about it (would be nice) it could work out favorably. That said i'm pretty sure we'll see some other cool stuff at E3, along with the rest of the important info.