By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 80GB PS3 to be Discontinued, due to "low sales".

dgm6780 said:
why dont people fuss as much about having to hook up a Wii & a DVD player as they do about hooking up a PS2 and PS3? the PS2 is tiny btw

Personally speaking it annoys the crap out of me. I didn't care when I had a GC, PS2 and DVD [;ayer all hooked up though. This was because I had no intention of using the other two for a DVD player. Using a PS2 as a DVD player meant I had to use the controller as a remote and that was just painful. The Wii has a really good set-up for it what with their controller being a remote. I can forgive it only because I am used to it, and I really don't need a third DVD player. If I couldn't pack away my GC I would be very annoyed.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
dgm6780 said:
why dont people fuss as much about having to hook up a Wii & a DVD player as they do about hooking up a PS2 and PS3? the PS2 is tiny btw

Because most folks already have a DVD and Wii hooked up. A PS3 is fatter than a regular DVD player, and it plays DVDs. The PS2 plays PS2 games, but why should a person with a PS2 and a vast PS2 library buy a PS3? Because they bought a PS2? The point is - if Sony removes a PS3 without BC, what incentives do PS2 gamers have to migrate to the PS3? Brand? No ... they can get the same experience from a 360 or a Wii - because those two consoles - and the 40gb PS3 - don't play PS2 games.

As stated earlier - space isn't unlimited. Even in my room, and it's pretty big, I have limited space. Guess what? I am getting a PS3 - still trying to figure out which version - and I will have to figure out where it's going. If it's a 40gb, I will have run some serious cables all over the room to accomodate it.

Sony is all about themselves - and could care less about their own core values. They have reneged on their word - and folks will still pay for the PS3 - and further proves they can sell crap and folks will flock. And I won't even talk about how Sony is all about BR and letting gaming take a backseat ... 

A credible source is now reporting that the 80gb is going to be replaced with a 120-160gb unit with the DS3 packed in. Did I call it, or what?

Sony shouldn't have released the PS3 with everything but the kitchen sink, but their arrogance wouldn't let them admit that $600 was too high for a console. Now they're scrambling to bail water from the sinking ship... but if they throw the oars overboard in their haste to lighten the load, then they're going to be in trouble when they get the leaks plugged.

I was going to make fun of your overly complicated metaphor, but... damn, that's actually a pretty good analogy.

Maskillz, the PS2 plays DVD's too. and you can get a DVD remote for it as well.

the reason you buy a PS3 is to play PS3 games, its not that complicated. and again Madskillz -"they can get the same experience from a 360 or a Wii - because those two consoles - and the 40gb PS3 - don't play PS2 games." uhh no you dont get the same experience on a Wii that you do on PS3. but at least you were close to right with the XBox - but not really. You buy a PS3 to play PS3 games! novel concept

They are removing the PS2 compatability because the PS3 can stand on its own now and if you want a PS2 buy a PS2.

And what sinking ship are you talking about?????? PS3 has the momentum right now, outselling the Xbox. And if they put a $299 version out they would prob outsell the Wii

In favor, hopefully, of a better model... Or, drop the 40GB version, re-release the 60GB version with Motorstorm or resistance packaged along with the standard dual shock 3 for 399....

Around the Network

I don't think a bigger harddrive will pull off more sales. It will only just a little. Ofcourse DS3 will have some impact, but w're expacting that anyway in march. The challenge for Sony is to counter an 360 pricedrop before GTA4 arrives.

I think the best option is to make one SKU with BC (because they promised), 40GB and cardreader (not really needed). Add an DS3 controller to it. One sku is cheaper to produce than 2 different sku's. Later on they can add an extra controller or a game. But they have to keep there price at $400

Or they can create a new sku with 160GB, BC and cardreader and keep their 40GB model. They do need to add DS3 on both sku's. And they need a pricedrop of $50. Recpectivly $350 and $450 PS3's.

If they introduce a new sku they are following Microsoft. At the begining of the consolewar Sony said we will follow our on road. I ain't seeing it if the new sku is true.

The overall complexity of this generation is ridiculous.

If I were to get a PS3 i'd want BC or I wouldn't buy it. 40g, bc, 350$ or 60g, bs 400$ and i'll buy one. Till then no thanks.

I absolutely don't see the point in releasing an 120-160 GB PS3. Even if it does have a dualshock 3 coming with it. Except for the HDD storage and controller everything will be the same as with the 80 GB sku, right? So what's this for then? As far as i can tell, this move won't spur any big sales. It might actually put of some of the customers IMO.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Yet another reason why i don't favour Sony *hugs MS*

*Slaps sony with a pox ridden fish*

Soriku... i really dont see the big thing about "BC" i have a 40 gig and i just use my (Chipped hehehe) PS2... if you dont have a PS2 just pick one up... they would be like 60 bucks nowadays, oh well, upto you...

I do still think Sony will bring out a software based PS2 emulation for the 40 gig console.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina