By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 80GB PS3 to be Discontinued, due to "low sales".

This is what they need to do.

Drop the PS2 price down to $99

40GB PS3 $299

80GB w/ BC & Ratchet & Clank or Heavenly Sword $400-$449

This would be brillant, if you want to play PS2 games get a damn PS2!!!!!

Around the Network
johnlucas said:
madskillz said:
outlawauron said:
madskillz said:
Keeping the 80gb around is really the only choice for PS2 gamers who haven't made the jump and would love to keep their collection. Now, Sony is saying 'Either buy the PS3 now and have one that will play your PS2 games or miss out altogether.'

Ok, I don't think cutting the 80gb is a good idea but come on now. This is a but false.

Those PS2 owners thinking about making the jump might, you know, have PS2s ........

As I have stated so many times before, if you want to win fans, don't shaft them. How can anyone buy something after being lied to? Anyone that does supports the habit. Sony stated core values included BC. Then, they axe full BC less than a year into the PS3's cycle. Then, they decide to introduce a player that has PS1 BC, but not their top-selling PS2? And then to say 'Buy another PS2' when the company stated their CORE VALUE was BC ... no. Sorry. Doesn't compute.

If I were still on the fence, and Sony is shouting to me 'Get with the program!' and buy a PS3 ... I don't enjoy being yelled at, first, and second, only an officer with a pistol - my wife, my mom and dad - are the only folks who tell me what to do. It's my money - and to tell me 'If you still want to play PS2 games, get a PS2.' Thanks a million, Sony. I can't believe folks can be drones ...

What incentives do PS2 gamers still on the fence have? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a guy tells his date 'Here's the agenda,' doesn't consider her feelings and just does what he wants to do, without asking for her input, it will be a. a very short date or b. the woman is so desperate and clueless she doesn't care.

Regardless, the relationship is going nowhere fast.

I have bought a PS1, a PS2 and enjoyed playing PS1 ones on my PS2. Sony said it was a core value - and then, they change it and say it's unnecessary? What about rumble? It's last-gen ... yeah ... and then, after settling with Immerison, here it comes ... and fools will rush out and buy it - and Sony's laughing at 'em.

I am getting a 40gb PS3, but you can bet I am not paying for it. I wanted a 60gb PS3, and had one on layaway, but I got a PS3 for just a few games ... and trust me, that's the only way I would ever buy a 40gb PS3. I wouldn't pay a company one red cent that drops core values just to pimp Blu Ray and shafts folks.

The only thing that I can say in response to madskillz's oratory is

Amen.

John Lucas

Say that (makes me feel like I am back in church!)!!! 

All I know is sony has a very strange way of doing things....If they chose to discontiue the 80gb PS3 it would be a very stupid move on their part...consumers like a choice...not be forced into buying the lower end model.

People that keep saying "buy a ps2 if you want to play ps2 games" have obviously too much time and money on their hands. IMO it's a waste to do such a thing, especially if you can have one product with the functions of two instead of having two products at a higher price. In other words PS2$ +PS3 40 gb $< PS3 60 GB $ in terms of value.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

It is inevitable that software backwards compatibility will come, and anyway, how much time are you really going to spend playing old games???

Anyway, of course Sony is going to lie, if when they were being sued by imersion they said that they wanted rumble but could not get it, that is a free shot for the 360. as Typhoid PAL said, price was the most important factor, and Sony have done everything they can to bring it down.

Around the Network

It is inevitable that software backwards compatibility will come, and anyway, how much time are you really going to spend playing old games???

Sadly it really isn't inevitable. The issues the 80gb had with some fairly top notch games highlights the potential problems fairly well. The processor and gpu of the PS3 might not be able to handle the emulation. Sony is working on it, so the outlook is fairly good but far from certain. As far as I know there isn't a very good Saturn emulator in existence for example.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

dgm6780 said:

40GB PS3 $299

Why should I have to have two consoles just to keep my fantastic library of PS2 games (that I still enjoy playing)?  Sony is really shooting themselves in the foot.  It smacks of a move of desperation to get costs down... or perhaps they've decided that the PS3's future is really just a Blu-ray player that can play a few games.  Stinks.

crumas2 said:
dgm6780 said:

40GB PS3 $299

Why should I have to have two consoles just to keep my fantastic library of PS2 games (that I still enjoy playing)?  Sony is really shooting themselves in the foot.  It smacks of a move of desperation to get costs down... or perhaps they've decided that the PS3's future is really just a Blu-ray player that can play a few games.  Stinks.

If you have a fantastic library of PS2 games you are still playing, dont you already have a PS2???????

But you want to pay more then necessary to get a PS3???

Just want to save shelf space instead of save $100?  and the wireless controller thing was silly, you can get wireless controllers for the

PS2 you know 

why dont people fuss as much about having to hook up a Wii & a DVD player as they do about hooking up a PS2 and PS3? the PS2 is tiny btw

dgm6780 said:
crumas2 said:

Why should I have to have two consoles just to keep my fantastic library of PS2 games (that I still enjoy playing)? Sony is really shooting themselves in the foot. It smacks of a move of desperation to get costs down... or perhaps they've decided that the PS3's future is really just a Blu-ray player that can play a few games. Stinks.

If you have a fantastic library of PS2 games you are still playing, dont you already have a PS2???????

But you want to pay more then necessary to get a PS3???

Just want to save shelf space instead of save $100? and the wireless controller thing was silly, you can get wireless controllers for the

PS2 you know

The PS2 was pretty much the most successful console of all time, in my opinion.  One of the best things I liked about it was one of Sony's core values... BC with the PS1.  I was able to have just one console in my living room and we sold the PS1 to a friend for cheap.

Sony put BC hardware in the PS3, but is now scrambling to remove it.  Because it wasn't an important or powerful feature?  No.  Because they're way behind the sales curve this generation, their library of games keeps falling further behind, and they're desperate to appease the games publishers who are beating them about the head and shoulders to get the installed base higher ASAP so they can make money on their games.  Sony shouldn't have released the PS3 with everything but the kitchen sink, but their arrogance wouldn't let them admit that $600 was too high for a console.  Now they're scrambling to bail water from the sinking ship...   but if they throw the oars overboard in their haste to lighten the load, then they're going to be in trouble when they get the leaks plugged.

And I didn't mention anything about wireless controllers.  I have wireless controllers for my PS2.