By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Samsung Galaxy S4 to have 8 core processor, to be unveiled on March 14th?

EricFabian said:
bananaking21 said:
EricFabian said:

I have a Lumia 920 and it is so f*cking good. I love it (until now). Xperia Z is really cheap in my city, but I don't want one

and now that you said, my brother has one single core sp and hell, it's soooooo slow.

to be fair also, samsung did a SHIT of a job on this phone. sometimes it literaly takes me 2-3 minutes to just make a phone call. really? i mean stop what im doing, close the app or broweser or what ever, open the dailer and call takes 2 or 3 minutes? plus the phone keeps lagging, software keeps fucking up. its not just my model, both my brothers have it and we all have the same problems. i will never, ever buy a samsung phone again. ill go back to sony. 

NO.

COME TO NOKIA SIDE OF THE FORCE. lol

i have always had sony phones before my galaxy wonder. and they were all nothing short of amazing. and to be honest, after using andriod i simply love it. its just a much more open platform than iOS and windows. i cant stand the restrictions and limitations that both have. i mean i have to install zune on my pc to download stuff on my phone? no thank you, go fuck yourself MS. that simply is a deal breaker for me, a lot of times i use my phone as a USB and connect it to any device. Sony has great hardware + andriod, a perfect fit for me, plus the xperia Z is water proof. something i love. i only hate that its so big

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
Hopefully it does get announced. I pay a $29 plan for my s2 and hopefully I can get the s3 at the same price! The announcement should bring the price down for the s3.

If I don't get a windows phone that is. Who needs a phone that powerful?

you need that much power to be able to play games like angry birds and temple run. duuhhh

I would have rather they stuck with a Quad-Core design and drove up IPC instead or used the extra TDP headroom with fewer cores to boost up the graphics pipelines.
Lightly threaded applications will hence be no faster than the Galaxy S3 if per-core performance remains the same, it will be a big boon for heavily threaded applications (I.E. Encoding) and for multi-tasking though.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

8 cores (in this case 8 real threads) do not make sense even in a dedicated gaming console.

8 threads can only be properly utilized on things like:

• Multi-tasking operational systems with many of things running in background that don't access the hdd a lot (which may be the case of NexBox and PS4).
  • A limited and very specific set of programs/simulations like whether forecast (many computing problems cannot be parallelized).

Also, in order try to properly utilize all the cores in ordinary applications, developers need to spend a lot of time optimizing their loops while trying to avoid problems like race condition. Furthermore, this type of optimization requires many of extra tests since code becomes nondeterministic .

bananaking21 said:
this is crazy, why the hell would a phone need an 8 core CPU and GPU? to play angry birds? what the fuck is this nonsense! 4 cores is MORE than enough!

It's called featurebating. Eight is more that four, so eight must be better.

Meanwhile, in the real world, phones with two powerful cores show better performance than phones with four weak cores.

Same goes for a 1080p display. It's going to have a lower framerate, chew more power for the backlight, consume more CPU/GPU cycles and RAM to run, and you'll only notice the difference from a 720p display if you bring it within a foot of your face. Be sure to enjoy those moments you hold your phone right up to your eyeball, since you're getting a worse experience the 99.9% of the time you aren't.

GPUs are an exception here. More cores in a GPU may very well mean that you get better performance while sucking up less power, and power envelope is really all that matters in a mobile SoC.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

I doubt any developer will have the patience to program for eight CPU cores considering their average budgets.

Anyways since practically all modern phones are near perfect nowadays, I don't think it'll be long until most people are turned off my frequent upgrades, the smartphone craze dies off and the market crashes.

8 core CPUs. Ultrapixel camera. 1080p displays on a 4.7 inch screen.

These OEM's are getting pretty retarded.

Uhh, i'll just stick with my 4S and my fiance's S3.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Isn't it big.LITTLE? 4 A15 and 4 A7 cores non-concurrent isn't an 8 core chip, the same that Tegra3 isn't a concurrent 5 core chip.