By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - “Skyrim was generic” says Witcher 3 game Director

The game director behind the 3rd installment of the Witcher criticizes the every famous Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Konrad Tomaszkiewicz said “Skyrim was generic.” He wasn’t too fond of the way that game handled quests, mentioning the fact that many of them were reused and fell into a criteria. He also noted that NPCs never commented on your accomplishments.

Tomaszkiewicz believes that in order for a game to be truly immersive, “every quest needs to be designed [in a] way, [in which] NPCs can react to what you are doing, this immersion is better in the Witcher 2 because every choice got its own consequence.” In order for a game to be more immersive in, Tomaszkiewicz eyes, you need to be able to take a note of your actions, talk to the people in the world and see their take on recent events - Skyrim didn’t offer that

Tomaszkiewicz criticism off Skyrim didn’t end there, “They don’t get very good characters…I tried to remember 5 characters from Skyrim…and I can’t.” He adds that it was due to the story being “generic.”

However, Tomaszkiewicz still has great respect for Skyrim, it was important for him to learn where other open world games went wrong so he could improve on the foundation of open world RPGs with the Witcher 3. “Exploring of the world is cool…and for sure we need to learn from them, how to make an open world – how to make the feeling of open world.”

CD Projekt promises the Witcher 3 will be a ground breaking open world game. Hopefully they can capitalize on where other RPG’s went wrong and give us one of the finest open world experiences by creating the “perfect RPG.

I agree, I have played the hell out of Skyrim and loved a lot about it (World, Music) but it could have been so much more. Where are the characters? Where is the Story? Why did the quality of quests go down from Oblivion? 

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network

From a company that is very respected by gamers im shocked by this comment. Skyrim is loved for many reasons and generic isnt the reason.

Oh no, not this pattern again - whenever some dev manages to get few games that are good and have nice sales, the ego talk starts. Seems like another Cevat Yerli in making....

He should have just kept his mouth closed. Now if Witcher 3 sucks and is "generic" people will bring this up.

I can see where he is coming from, Skyrim was really lacking in story and characters, it's combat system was pretty bad too.

Around the Network

Skyrim was pretty generic and I know I couldn't remember 5 characters from the game...

I guess asking people to listen to the actual interview or at least reading the full quotes is too much to ask for most people so they will think that they are just hating on Skyrim or something. And ignore the fact that they praise many aspects of Skyrim and that they are big fans. And talk about how they are applying lessons learnt from Skyrim to the Witcher 3 and how they can combine those things with what they already do well.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

HoloDust said:
Oh no, not this pattern again - whenever some dev manages to get few games that are good and have nice sales, the ego talk starts. Seems like another Cevat Yerli in making....

No, they have some praise for Skyrim too. But Like he was saying about naming 5 characters, I dont think I could name 5 decent characters from Skyrim ether. And dat terrible combat.  

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

to be honest, they're just taking their characters from the writer, they're not doing anything themselves either, so he shouldn't slam them like that, at least they have original material , not based on a book.

I'm a huge bethesda fan, but I do think he's right about its flaws.

I've clocked over a hundred hours in Skyrim but I agree there could have been some better structured quests. I can see where he is coming from on the character front but for me I interacted with plenty of characters, although the limited dialogue is noticeable.