By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What would Sony do with a touchpad?

Multi-touch gestures in and out of games

• Perfect for browser functionality (scroll, back, forwards) which typically suck to do using traditional controls.
  • Games could utilize some simple grow/shink or zoom in/out using pinch gestures.
  • Some games could even have "browser" like functionality like swipe left/right/up/down as apposed to using typical controller buttons which might be used for other things instead now and would do them better.
  • Cursor control in game and in the console OS.
  • Probably other things I havn't though of.
It could do all this without adding a more expensive Screen which I think is almost 100% useless for console gaming. We already have a screen to look at for crying out loud, why would I ever want to look _away_ from my TV to mess around with crap on the controller (looking at you WiiU).
Yes I like lists.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

While I don't think it will revolutionize gaming, I really have no problem with it. It's probably cheap and should hurt nothing. It's not like it will detract from games. At the very worst, they simply won't use it.

On the other hand, it will make web and OS navigation much easier. I tried to watch a video on my PS3 the other day with an age gate and it was pretty much impossible to scroll through the numbers with an analog stick controlled cursor. There really is no "too small" about it, as anyone with a lot of touchpad experience will tell you. The only time size matters is when you drag something.

What I'm hoping is that it's used and useful with in-game menus, but that might just be wishful thinking.

Yeah, a touchpad would make PSM viable on PS4 as well. I think the pad will be big enough for web and OS navigation.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

could work as a web browser while your in game, the screen is probably no smaller than an andriod smart phone screen

Allow for touch features.
/thread

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network

i really hope this is allowed in things like littlebigplanets level creator, being able to navigate through the level and place items using this will make creating levels so much faster

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!! AGAIN!!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

On screen keyboard would be useful for navigation etc

Nothing. Its a pointless knee-jerk reaction to WiiU just like PS3's initial sixaxis motion crap to Wii. Additionally, let it be known that I absolutely hate touchpads on laptops and always use a USB mouse instead.

KHlover said:
I don't see the value of such a small touchpad. It wouldn't even be big enough for web navigation, wth is it there for?

someone said it could do more than WiiU

I didn't argue because well honestly what can I say against that?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(