By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What would Sony do with a touchpad?

sepisfu said:
probably that makes it much easier for developers to move ios games to ps4 (eg. Angry birds)

A+ answer right there

Around the Network

Probably something gimmicky with the occasional good use (as many have already mentioned).

I don't know, has the Vita one been used well at all?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I can actually see a lot of uses for it. I personally think I would prefer it to a touchscreen.

One idea is to have it substitute in the place of the traditional right analog with the added benefit of precision. For example, you could navigate in a shooter with the left analog whilst controlling the camera with the touchpad. When you wanted to shoot you wouldn't have to move your hand just press the pad. Alternate fires and switching weapons could also be mapped to different actions on the pad. This may finally actually make shooters comparable to playing with a mouse and keyboard (if not better).

Navigating menus and inventory in/out of games.

Writing personal messages or typing via an on-screen keyboard.

Anything where a quick touch in the general vicinity would be more efficient than searching for a precise key. QTE's for example could make use of performing some action/s on the touchpad so that you aren't required to dance all around the controller.

Pretty much anything you could do with a full touchscreen or a mouse for. You would adjust fairly quick to the lack of a screen if a pointer was provided on the main screen to provide a relevant location.

How do you breathe again?

platformmaster918 said:
NiKKoM said:

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!! AGAIN!!

this is exactly what I hope it isn't used for.  I still remember the first Uncharted using sixaxis for logs and grenades and hated it.  To all of  you saying it makes web browsing or in game menus easier I just don't see it.  I scroll around with the analog sticks just fine.  R1 and L1 can be used to go in between menus instead of swiping back and forth.

you prefer an analog over a mouse input?

EDIT: nevermind. It's just not for you.

Sony, keep up the good work. The touchpad makes a lot of sense for both gaming and browsing. Keep it.

When I first heard I hope they would try implement something to allow RTS/Dota to work on console, I am disappointed, but I guess my expectations were kind of unrealistic.

Around the Network
neerdowell said:
I can actually see a lot of uses for it. I personally think I would prefer it to a touchscreen.

One idea is to have it substitute in the place of the traditional right analog with the added benefit of precision. For example, you could navigate in a shooter with the left analog whilst controlling the camera with the touchpad. When you wanted to shoot you wouldn't have to move your hand just press the pad. Alternate fires and switching weapons could also be mapped to different actions on the pad. This may finally actually make shooters comparable to playing with a mouse and keyboard (if not better).

Navigating menus and inventory in/out of games.

Writing personal messages or typing via an on-screen keyboard.

Anything where a quick touch in the general vicinity would be more efficient than searching for a precise key. QTE's for example could make use of performing some action/s on the touchpad so that you aren't required to dance all around the controller.

Pretty much anything you could do with a full touchscreen or a mouse for. You would adjust fairly quick to the lack of a screen if a pointer was provided on the main screen to provide a relevant location.

That's all well and good, but Angry Birds works better with a joystick than a touchpad, and have you ever tried playing a shooter on a laptop wiithout connecting a real mouse? Not fun--hardly even possible at all, really. Metroid on the DS did a decent job with it's input, but even that pales in comparison to dual-stick controls, which already can't even stand in the shadow of the almighty mouse+keyboard combo.

On-screen typing with a touchpad is a pain in the ass too. It's even slower than just using the D-pad. I'd rather shell out the extra cash and buy a plug-in QWERTY keypad, myself.

Lastly, QTEs... Actually, the touchpad could work quite well for those, and I'll take anything that would make them more intuitive. I'm not a big fan of them as they are in most games.

theprof00 said:
platformmaster918 said:
NiKKoM said:

this is exactly what I hope it isn't used for.  I still remember the first Uncharted using sixaxis for logs and grenades and hated it.  To all of  you saying it makes web browsing or in game menus easier I just don't see it.  I scroll around with the analog sticks just fine.  R1 and L1 can be used to go in between menus instead of swiping back and forth.

Sony, keep up the good work. The touchpad makes a lot of sense for both gaming and browsing. Keep it.

I mean for scrolling down I guess its better but I hate laptop touchpads.  I always use a real mouse when I can.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Conegamer said:
Probably something gimmicky with the occasional good use (as many have already mentioned).

I don't know, has the Vita one been used well at all?

Lumines is the best example of a vita game i've played that used it, and I found it to be pretty good. During the game you could tap the back to get power ups faster. 100% better than requiring front taps which would have been very detrimental to playing the game. Another game used it as an actual trackpad, which was pretty darn easy, considering you had to use spacial awareness to know where your finger was on the back vs the front. I can't remember the game, but it was kinda fun and worked out well.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

platformmaster918 said:
theprof00 said:
platformmaster918 said:
NiKKoM said:

I mean for scrolling down I guess its better but I hate laptop touchpads.  I always use a real mouse when I can.

People generally use the mouse because using touchpad makes right/left clicking harder. That would not be the case here. In fact, the DS4 is much more like a mouse than a traditional laptop touchpad.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

I don't see the point without it being LCD and a soft keyboard, if I still have to do the typing with my x button then it's literally wtf six axis all over again, I just hope the PS3 bluetooth keypad thing works on PS4 if I ever get it because that shit costed me like 50 bucks and I hardly use it these days.