By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Stop calling the Origional playstation....PSX

BasilZero said:
Mazty said:

.....So in short calling the PS the PSX is like calling the Xbox the Xenon.

K, ciao.

Xenon? Is that the new codename for Vita or is it for the Wii-U?

Xenon = code name for xbox 360

PS-X = code name for Playstation

Around the Network

Fuck no. Wiibox3 will call it what i feel.
But I've referred to it as the P
Yeah, the shiznit from the 5th gen
Shifted the powers that be
one that obliterated Project reality
Launched Type-G to the pedestal they deserved to be!

@Mazty. The main difference is that, once Dolphin was officially named the Gamecube, nobody used Dolphin anymore except in very rare cases (Like my nick :) ) In the case of the PSX, that was the de-facto abbreviation the industry used, because as far as I remember there was no offical name given to the Playstation other than the Playstation. It had been the Playstation since the Nintendo Playstation days. So there was no code-name really. PSX is simply the most used abbreviation for the official name, e.g. the Playstation.

phinch1 said:
Deyon said:

Why does it bug you so much?

Becuase there is a PSX, But everytime someone mentions it, you can gaurante they are talking about the Playstation, its like deneying the PSX's existan

The original Playstation was called the PSX long before Sony came out with the PS-X which is the DVR unit. Sony did this on purpose. The PSX monkier orginated because Nintendo owned the rights to the designation PS1. My phone is acting up so I will stop here.

happydolphin said:

@Mazty. The main difference is that, once Dolphin was officially named the Gamecube, nobody used Dolphin anymore except in very rare cases (Like my nick :) ) In the case of the PSX, that was the de-facto abbreviation the industry used, because as far as I remember there was no offical name given to the Playstation other than the Playstation. It had been the Playstation since the Nintendo Playstation days. So there was no code-name really. PSX is simply the most used abbreviation for the official name, e.g. the Playstation.

"^ PS-X (PlayStation Experimental) was an internal code name for the PlayStation during development.[9] The popular use of the "PSX" abbreviation outside Sony became a source of confusion when Sony Of Japan ignored Sony of America's decision and introduced its PSX digital video recorder in 2003."

From wiki. 

Around the Network
Mazty said:

"^ PS-X (PlayStation Experimental) was an internal code name for the PlayStation during development.[9] The popular use of the "PSX" abbreviation outside Sony became a source of confusion when Sony Of Japan ignored Sony of America's decision and introduced its PSX digital video recorder in 2003."

From wiki. 

That was mentioned earlier, but you missed the main part of the point, which were

1) There was no official naming of the console, since Playstation was the name since the Nintendo Playstation, that never changed. So PS is there regardless as part of the name. That's different from Dolphin, which had an official renaming.

2) The PSX monicker was used after the launch of the playstation, while that wasn't the case for the dolphin, won't be the case for the xenon. I suspect that's because PSX is only an 'X' away from what would be used after the experimental stopped being used. I also suspect that this was still used since no official name was announced like was the case for the cube. I also suspect that people ended up becoming fond of PSX and just kept using it. The rest is history, you should get used to it.

happydolphin said:
Mazty said:

From wiki. 

That was mentioned earlier, but you missed the main part of the point, which were

1) There was no official naming of the console, since Playstation was the name since the Nintendo Playstation, that never changed. So PS is there regardless as part of the name. That's different from Dolphin, which had an official renaming.

2) The PSX monicker was used after the launch of the playstation, while that wasn't the case for the dolphin, won't be the case for the xenon. I suspect that's because PSX is only an 'X' away from what would be used after the experimental stopped being used. I also suspect that this was still used since no official name was announced like was the case for the cube. I also suspect that people ended up becoming fond of PSX and just kept using it. The rest is history, you should get used to it.

Official name of the console = Playstation. If abbreviated, PS makes sense. PSX does not. 

PSX just shows how some gaming journalists have never been the brightest sparks imo. PSX isn't used outside of the USA. It's some reminant term that was used by poor reporters who didn't realise that they were still using a dev term for a finished product. It's a retarded moniker and always will be as it just shows how ignorant people are (ignorant as in unknowing). 

The only thing that is history is that the PS is not the PSX and never will be no matter how many stamp their feet and try to hold onto a completely outdated term - no one is calling the F-35 the X-35. 
Why gamers feel a need to be completely different from the rest of the world is beyond me and it's completely embarrassing. 

Mazty said:

Official name of the console = Playstation. If abbreviated, PS makes sense. PSX does not. 

PSX just shows how some gaming journalists have never been the brightest sparks imo. PSX isn't used outside of the USA. It's some reminant term that was used by poor reporters who didn't realise that they were still using a dev term for a finished product. It's a retarded moniker and always will be as it just shows how ignorant people are (ignorant as in unknowing). 

The only thing that is history is that the PS is not the PSX and never will be no matter how many stamp their feet and try to hold onto a completely outdated term - no one is calling the F-35 the X-35. 
Why gamers feel a need to be completely different from the rest of the world is beyond me and it's completely embarrassing. 

You're in denial.

Here's a magazine by the time the PS2 was announced.

When's the last time you saw the Dolphin magazine? And this is just one example.

Sorry, but you're wrong. And will continue to be wrong until you smash your head against the wall that is P.S.X.

It's the Ps1 I didn't think anyone actually called it a PSX? Lol why would anyone call it that when a PS1 and PSX are different things?

Just for fun here's another one:

Just google it....