By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Stop calling the Origional playstation....PSX

Dr.Grass said:
phinch1 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

PSX was the only abbreviation for the Playstation back when there was no PS2.

The PSX was not a console between the PS2 and 3, it was a DVR enabled PS2 released only in Japan. Everyone outside of Japan doesn't need to remember the PSX, it wasn't a world wide product.

There was no PS1, there was a PS and a PSone, but no PS1. PS-X was the internal development name for the PS and predated the PSone.

SCEA actually wanted to release the Playstation with the name PSX because they didn't like the name Playstation. I agree with them, to me it sounds like a Playschool toy for babies.

But anyway, we call it PSX because back in the 32bit days the vast majority called it PSX and the name stuck. Back then you either typed Playstation or PSX. All the magazines did it and so did those of us with dial up and a forum to post on.

I still think it's just a states thing, I've never heard it called that here

I got the Official UK PS magazine here in South Africa and as such I've been aware of the usage of 'PSX' since 1997. Just because you don't know something doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

Kinda makes it funny that you're getting your panties in a twist.

Calling the PS is PSX is just like calling the 360 the Xenon. 

All that has been shown is that game reporters back then obviously weren't the brightest sparks.

Around the Network
Mazty said:
Dr.Grass said:
phinch1 said:

I got the Official UK PS magazine here in South Africa and as such I've been aware of the usage of 'PSX' since 1997. Just because you don't know something doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

All that has been shown is that game reporters back then obviously weren't the brightest sparks.

No it's not like calling the 360 the Xenon. Here are some key differences:

1) Xenon refers to the 360's processor. PSX was a codename for the console.

2) No-one ever called the 360 the Xenon. Usage of PSX was widespread.

From Wiki:

"The PlayStation (Japanese: プレイステーション Hepburn: Pureisutēshon?, officially abbreviated as PS; sometimes referred to as PS1, or unofficially as the PSX[10]"

My conclusion?

You don't know how to use analogies in the slightest.

Jumpin said:
phinch1 said:

Why do people call the Origional playstation the PSX......Type psx into google and see what comes up, It an actual console that was made inbetween the PS2 and PS3, it has the cross media bar to similar to the PS3, it was also sony's first console to have the cross media bar

it was released in Japan (and only in japan) in 2003 just before Christmas, its plays Playstation and Playstation 2 titles It has internal storage with  160GB HDD and a higher model with 250GB with memory stick reader (like the origional PS3 60GB) updatable firmware (like psp ps3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vofHwP9J9Rw

So yeah, call it the Playstation, PS, PS1 PSOne........ but stop calling it the PSX Please.

Because it IS the PSX to everyone who had one before that little white model came out. It is what everyone referered to it as. That DVR thing is named after the common abbreviation of the original PSX. What can I say, I guess it's hard being a newb.

psx.ign.com - this site has been Round since the 90's.

Everyone? obviously not everone, I believe the Ofiicial magazines were Titled "Playstation magazine" and the official name of the console is The "Playstation", there is no official documentation you can find me, where sony released the final product called the PSX

Dr.Grass said:
phinch1 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

The PSX was not a console between the PS2 and 3, it was a DVR enabled PS2 released only in Japan. Everyone outside of Japan doesn't need to remember the PSX, it wasn't a world wide product.

There was no PS1, there was a PS and a PSone, but no PS1. PS-X was the internal development name for the PS and predated the PSone.

SCEA actually wanted to release the Playstation with the name PSX because they didn't like the name Playstation. I agree with them, to me it sounds like a Playschool toy for babies.

But anyway, we call it PSX because back in the 32bit days the vast majority called it PSX and the name stuck. Back then you either typed Playstation or PSX. All the magazines did it and so did those of us with dial up and a forum to post on.

It does bug me a little, in the sense its deneying the actual PSX's existance, i mentioned earlier people can call it what they want, the thread was also made with facts about the actual psx cause i thought they were kinda cool facts to know

Dr.Grass said:
Mazty said:
Dr.Grass said:
phinch1 said:

No it's not like calling the 360 the Xenon. Here are some key differences:

1) Xenon refers to the 360's processor. PSX was a codename for the console.

2) No-one ever called the 360 the Xenon. Usage of PSX was widespread.

From Wiki:

"The PlayStation (Japanese: プレイステーション Hepburn: Pureisutēshon?, officially abbreviated as PS; sometimes referred to as PS1, or unofficially as the PSX[10]"

My conclusion?

You don't know how to use analogies in the slightest.

Thats my point right there, it was an unoffical name for it, now that there is an actual psx, the playstation should now be refered to by its proper chosen name

Around the Network

I guess it's different depending on where you're from but over here everyone used PSX. PSX was the codename for the PlayStation and in many cases the name was still in use after the PlayStation had been released.

So I'll continue to use PSX thankyouverymuch.

phinch1 said:
Jumpin said:
phinch1 said:

Why do people call the Origional playstation the PSX......Type psx into google and see what comes up, It an actual console that was made inbetween the PS2 and PS3, it has the cross media bar to similar to the PS3, it was also sony's first console to have the cross media bar

it was released in Japan (and only in japan) in 2003 just before Christmas, its plays Playstation and Playstation 2 titles It has internal storage with  160GB HDD and a higher model with 250GB with memory stick reader (like the origional PS3 60GB) updatable firmware (like psp ps3)

So yeah, call it the Playstation, PS, PS1 PSOne........ but stop calling it the PSX Please.

Because it IS the PSX to everyone who had one before that little white model came out. It is what everyone referered to it as. That DVR thing is named after the common abbreviation of the original PSX. What can I say, I guess it's hard being a newb.

Everyone? obviously not everone, I believe the Ofiicial magazines were Titled "Playstation magazine" and the official name of the console is The "Playstation", there is no official documentation you can find me, where sony released the final product called the PSX

You, the point have missed.

phinch1 said:
Dr.Grass said:
phinch1 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

It does bug me a little, in the sense its deneying the actual PSX's existance, i mentioned earlier people can call it what they want, the thread was also made with facts about the actual psx cause i thought they were kinda cool facts to know

No, it's not "denying the PSX's existence", it's more like; That's what it was called before the small PSOne model came out, and no-one gives a shit about the actual PSX, just like no-one gives a shit about the net-yaroze version of the PS.

It's an historical name that you're going to have to deal with - end of story.

And you're making a big deal because you want to show off that you know something others don't. I've seen it happen a million times in my life, and I've done it myself. But no-one cares.

Dr.Grass said:
phinch1 said:
Jumpin said:
phinch1 said:

You, the point have missed.

I love it when people dismiss whatever else ive said and continue to ignore fact , then try to act smart about :)  it's obviously not just me as a few others have stated in this thread, but ok Lets deney the psx existance and just call the offical playstation the unofficial term psx.....b b b b because thats what gaming forums used in the 90's

Dr.Grass said:
phinch1 said:
Dr.Grass said:
phinch1 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

No, it's not "denying the PSX's existence", it's more like; That's what it was called before the small PSOne model came out, and no-one gives a shit about the actual PSX, just like no-one gives a shit about the net-yaroze version of the PS.

It's an historical name that you're going to have to deal with - end of story.

And you're making a big deal because you want to show off that you know something others don't. I've seen it happen a million times in my life, and I've done it myself. But no-one cares.

No, people know it exists....I'm just simply reminding people.....I made the thread also because there are some cool facts i didnt know such as it having such a large internal HDD which is still big in terms of todays consoles 10 years later
I