By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Stop calling the Origional playstation....PSX

happydolphin said:
Mazty said:

Official name of the console = Playstation. If abbreviated, PS makes sense. PSX does not. 

PSX just shows how some gaming journalists have never been the brightest sparks imo. PSX isn't used outside of the USA. It's some reminant term that was used by poor reporters who didn't realise that they were still using a dev term for a finished product. It's a retarded moniker and always will be as it just shows how ignorant people are (ignorant as in unknowing). 

The only thing that is history is that the PS is not the PSX and never will be no matter how many stamp their feet and try to hold onto a completely outdated term - no one is calling the F-35 the X-35. 
Why gamers feel a need to be completely different from the rest of the world is beyond me and it's completely embarrassing. 

You're in denial.

Here's a magazine by the time the PS2 was announced.

When's the last time you saw the Dolphin magazine? And this is just one example.

Sorry, but you're wrong. And will continue to be wrong until you smash your head against the wall that is P.S.X.

What am I in denial of exactly....?

As I said, it's a term that has been carried over from the dev days of the Playstation which stuck with it because some game reporters are obviously too stupid to realise that once a product is released, you stop calling it by it's dev name.

Here's the offical Sony mag:

PSX was never mentioned in that magazine. Calling the PS the PSX is as rediculous as calling the 360 the Xenon. People should stop doing it. As I said it just looks ignorant.

Around the Network
Mazty said:

As I said, it's a term that has been carried over from the dev days of the Playstation which stuck with it because some game reporters are obviously too stupid to realise that once a product is released, you stop calling it by it's dev name.

PSX was never mentioned in that magazine. 

The point of the thread is that it's used, and was being used way before the DVR thing, and will continue to be used, so whether you think that's stupid or not is totally irrelevant.

The same doesn't apply to the dolphin so that's a bad argument. It won't be used for the xenon either, so again bad argument.

Just bad arguments in general.

happydolphin said:
Mazty said:

PSX was never mentioned in that magazine. 

The point of the thread is that it's used, and was being used way before the DVR thing, and will continue to be used, so whether you think that's stupid or not is totally irrelevant.

It was being used incorrectly and people should stop using it. It's as simple as that.

If they continue to use it they continue to be willfully ignorant to both the origin of the term and the existance of the actual PSX. I never argued people didn't use it - my point is that people SHOULDN'T use it as the thread is called:

Stop calling the Origional playstation....PSX

The thread isn't titled "Do people call the original playstation the PSX?"....You're arguing a point that never came up. 

phinch1 said:
RolStoppable said:
If you are old enough, you will remember that the first PlayStation was commonly abbreviated as "PSX" in video game magazines before it retro-actively became the PS1 after the PS2 announcement.and PSone introduction.

I've been playing games since they were on casset tapes lol, but seriously ive never know it called the PSX maybe the name never made it here to the UK

I'm in the UK too. PSX was the term for PlayStation here. Most 3rd party accessories put PSX On the packaging too. Its the correct abbreviation for the original larger system.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Mazty said:

It was being used incorrectly and people should stop using it. It's as simple as that.

If they continue to use it they continue to be willfully ignorant to both the origin of the term and the existance of the actual PSX. I never argued people didn't use it - my point is that people SHOULDN'T use it as the thread is called:

The thread isn't titled "Do people call the original playstation the PSX?"....You're arguing a point that never came up. 

Okay, but your arguments are still bad. The Dolphin was never used after the cube was announced, and it's not even an acronym, GCN is the acronym. Also, PSX contains PS, so it's a very different case. Xenon is the same argument as dolphin, and is just as bad.

But if this thread is to say that people should call something something else than it always was named, and always will be named, then this thread itself is stupid and I'm out.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Mazty said:

Okay, but your arguments are still bad. The Dolphin was never used after the cube was announced, and it's not even an acronym, GCN is the acronym. Also, PSX contains PS, so it's a very different case. Xenon is the same argument as dolphin, and is just as bad.

But if this thread is to say that people should call something something else than it always was named, and always will be named, then this thread itself is stupid and I'm out.

My argument is bad when yours is "PSX CONTAINS PS SO ITS OKAY"

Seriously?

PSX is a dev term. The 360 was never intended to be called the Xenon outside of development - same applies to the Playstation and PSX. Are you going to call the F-35 the X-35? Hey, they both have 35 in so it's okay, right?

Dr.Grass said:
Metrium said:
PSX bugs me to. I have no idea where the X came from, it's PS1 for me, because PS for me refers to the entire Playstation brand.

Before PS2 came out, no-one called it the PS1. Incidentally, the PS2 was the first 'numbered' console.

Your argument falls flat.

Before the PS2 came out, no-one called it the PSX either.

Before World War 2, no one called the first World War ''World War 1'' or ''first world war''.

Your argument also falls flat.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

^So the magazine covers I posted are made by people who don't exist?

Mazty said:

Seriously?

PSX is a dev term. The 360 was never intended to be called the Xenon outside of development - same applies to the Playstation and PSX. Are you going to call the F-35 the X-35? Hey, they both have 35 in so it's okay, right?

I googled the F-35 and the X-35, and they are different units. The Playstation-Experimental is the codename, not the prototype name. It's not a valid argument.

PSX is a term used by whoever used it, and there was no real inauguration of the name Playstation like there was for the Gamecube, as far as I know. So, there was, historically, no need to drop the letter X from the abbreviation.

That's the point in "PSX CONTAINS PS SO ITS OKAY", but you still don't get it.

Dolphin -> Gamecube. Different.

Playstation - Experimental -> Playstation. Same diff.

Dolphin -> NickName

PSX -> Abbreviation.

Dolphin doesn't have an abbreviation. I can't be clearer than this........

happydolphin said:

^So the magazine covers I posted are made by people who don't exist?

Mazty said:

Seriously?

I googled the F-35 and the X-35, and they are different units. The Playstation-Experimental is the codename, not the prototype name. It's not a valid argument.

PSX is a term used by whoever used it, and there was no real inauguration of the name Playstation like there was for the Gamecube, as far as I know. So, there was, historically, no need to drop the letter X from the abbreviation.

That's the point in "PSX CONTAINS PS SO ITS OKAY", but you still don't get it.

Dolphin -> Gamecube. Different.

Playstation - Experimental -> Playstation. Same diff.

Dolphin -> NickName

PSX -> Abbreviation.

Dolphin doesn't have an abbreviation. I can't be clearer than this........

"The Lockheed Martin X-35 was an experimental aircraft developed by Lockheed Martin for the Joint Strike Fighter Program. It was declared the winner over the Boeing X-32 and went on to enter production in the early 21st century as theF-35 Lightning II"

Playstation = name on the box.
PS-X = dev name.
PSX = different console.

It's a simple as that. Why people insist on calling a console by the dev name is beyond me.

Playstation has no X in it, or any word that can be abbreviated to X, ergo cannot be abbreviated to PSX.

Calling the Playsation the PS-X is exactly the same as calling the 360 the Xenon. Calling it the PSX is completely wrong. That's like calling the N64 the GC.

Mazty said:

"The Lockheed Martin X-35 was an experimental aircraft developed by Lockheed Martin for the Joint Strike Fighter Program. It was declared the winner over the Boeing X-32 and went on to enter production in the early 21st century as theF-35 Lightning II"

Playstation = name on the box.
PS-X = dev name.
PSX = different console.

It's a simple as that. Why people insist on calling a console by the dev name is beyond me.

Playstation has no X in it, or any word that can be abbreviated to X, ergo cannot be abbreviated to PSX.

Calling the Playsation the PS-X is exactly the same as calling the 360 the Xenon. Calling it the PSX is completely wrong. That's like calling the N64 the GC.

k, I won't repeat myself, so I'll leave you with this:

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-6979.html

The rest is just history, so deal with it. I don't like when people try to re-write history, I'm not a fan of it.

GL convincing the others :P