By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Journey dev on going multiplatform, seeking greater financial success, next game

It seems to me like they want to make AAA games lol. The comment about minrcraft seems a bit silly too, the only games that make minecraft money are CODs, GTA's and Pokemon.

Journey was the fastest selling PSN game of all time, they were in financial trouble whilst the game was in development. Once it was release it was obviously a massive success. I don't see what more they could have wanted.

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:

Well IMO it seems like sony fans only talk about specific games like Journey and then they don't buy it. I mean why brag that your console of choice  has this game only and then don't buy it?

You don't seem to be aware that all the people you read in internet forums just make up a tiny tiny portion of the userbase of each console.

sales2099 said:
Oh the things Sony is willing to do to fund your "exclusive lists" on forums :P

Sure the PS3 exclusive list is bigger then 360s.....but at what cost. AT WHAT COST?!?!!? lol

*shrugs* I'm sure if MS threw a billion per quarter into game development (which they could afford without a problem - just wouldn't go down well with the shareholders) I'd be willing to pick up their console.

Lafiel said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Well IMO it seems like sony fans only talk about specific games like Journey and then they don't buy it. I mean why brag that your console of choice  has this game only and then don't buy it?

You don't seem to be aware that all the people you read in internet forums just make up a tiny tiny portion of the userbase of each console.

Nah I'm very aware of that. A lot of them still don't buy the games they brag about though. 

teigaga said:
It seems to me like they want to make AAA games lol. The comment about minrcraft seems a bit silly too, the only games that make minecraft money are CODs, GTA's and Pokemon.

Journey was the fastest selling PSN game of all time, they were in financial trouble whilst the game was in development. Once it was release it was obviously a massive success. I don't see what more they could have wanted.

Nope Journey had the biggest opening of all PSn games. Weeks after were likely progressively lower. Critically it was a massive success, but I think were all getting the idea that it appealed to the wrong gamer base....or at least should have been made for all gamers to have.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

kowenicki said:

Again. Where did I say it DIDNT make a profit?

My entire contribution to the thread proved to be far from rubbish and actually quite insightful, I was merely saying they would be better served going multiplat due to the niche style of their games.  Pretty obvious to anyone really. And so it proves.

You've gone from them being awesome guys and developers to "lets see how they do without Sony". Petty.

They are awesome guys and developers... But its obvious that there are problems internally if theyre going bankrupt despite help.

I never said that you said that. You were saying that there was no proof it made profit. You now have that proof.

Around the Network
pezus said:
Not releasing Journey on Steam is a crime so they'd better do it with their next game. You won't reach "Minecraft level of success" without PC. But, come on, expecting that is really unfair. No other game has had a "Minecraft level of success".

no but games like castle crashers has sold well over 3m on XBLA.

I'm guessing a full retail release game. An A budget rather than AAA. A pity it will be a next gen title as I nay not be have a next gen console for some time after it releases.

I too worry about the desire for a big financial success. Not a lot has changed on the big selling games this gen, so I'm not sure the gaming community is yet ready for the kind of game Chen is envisaging. Will probably still be an excellent niche game but not a blockbuster success. Hope I'm proved wrong.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Turkish said:
So they'll be sacrificing creativity for reaching bigger audience, I reckon they'll miss the space and freedom given by Sony.

They havent even announced their next game your already writting them off.

Nsanity said:
Turkish said:
So they'll be sacrificing creativity for reaching bigger audience, I reckon they'll miss the space and freedom given by Sony.

They havent even announced their next game your already writting them off.

Well it won't be a Sony exclusive anymore. Anyways if it is another game like Journey I won't even bother. I feel like their games get overrated because they are different. Different doesn't equal good.

I will definitly keep an eye out though to see what they come up with.