By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Journey dev on going multiplatform, seeking greater financial success, next game

A 2 hour game selling 500k+ in under a year is bad?

Around the Network
Turkish said:
Ji99saw said:

I respect the company but I still think there games are extremely pretentious and lack the true nature of a game artistic. The art should arrive naturally from the game instead of being forced. Anyway glad they are trying to stay in the industry but they should have known better than try to be financially viable on PSN that's just not possible.

Journey was amazing, no wonder it won DICE GOTY award. TCG said years ago they would go multiplatform because they had a 3 game deal with Sony. Journey was financially successful, they just want to reach a bigger audience.

I don't care what awards it has won, I have my own opinion of the game and I think it's pretentious. They almost went bankrupt and Journey probably scrapped by barely making budget since I'm sure if it was as big as others claim Sony would have released some sales figures.

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:
So they did profit with Journey?

Yep.

Said so.

XBLA should double those profits.

Hmmm...

Yeah, it was aimed at you. The proof you wanted for the game making a profit is in the OP. Now that the 3 game publishing deal with Sony is done, they can indeed move to other platforms. Will be interesting to see how they survive without Sony backing that they got.

it's a well known fact that ps3 fans don't buy games, why would you make a game exclusive to that console is beyond me

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

chapset said:
it's a well known fact that ps3 fans don't buy games, why would you make a game exclusive to that console is beyond me

True, i agree.

Around the Network

well i'll be sorry to see them go multi as flower and journey are two of the best playstation exclusives this gen but i can't fault them for wanting better financial success. as long as their next game is as great as their last two i'll still be there day 1.

Ji99saw said:
Turkish said:
Ji99saw said:

I respect the company but I still think there games are extremely pretentious and lack the true nature of a game artistic. The art should arrive naturally from the game instead of being forced. Anyway glad they are trying to stay in the industry but they should have known better than try to be financially viable on PSN that's just not possible.

Journey was amazing, no wonder it won DICE GOTY award. TCG said years ago they would go multiplatform because they had a 3 game deal with Sony. Journey was financially successful, they just want to reach a bigger audience.

I don't care what awards it has won, I have my own opinion of the game and I think it's pretentious. They almost went bankrupt and Journey probably scrapped by barely making budget since I'm sure if it was as big as others claim Sony would have released some sales figures.

You didn't understand it. They nearly went bankrupt developing the game, not because it didn't make enough money. It was the best selling PSN game for several months. Sony never releases sales figures for any digital game, regardless if the game sells well or not.

kowenicki said:

Lol. Wow... That last sentence. Lol.

where I'd I ever say it didn't make a profit?  He also says it was a financial disaster by the way. 

The timing of this article is sensational.

Where did Deyon get that 500k sales from? If that's true then that's pretty poor IMO. 

What about it? They took 3 Years to develop a 2 hour long game and went bankrupt... Despite backing from Sony/Santa Monica. If Journey flopped it could have been the end of them. They wont have that backing next time to help with obvious dev problems.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5105640

You said there was no proof it made profit. Your entire "contribution" to the thread was rubbish. You were saying the game made no decent money and the game should have been multiplat to make that profit. Clearly, the problems with money came BEFORE the game was released.

Well IMO it seems like sony fans only talk about specific games like Journey and then they don't buy it. I mean why brag that your console of choice  has this game only and then don't buy it?

Oh the things Sony is willing to do to fund your "exclusive lists" on forums :P

Sure the PS3 exclusive list is bigger then 360s.....but at what cost. AT WHAT COST?!?!!?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.