By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Straight To The Point: What REALLY went wrong with PlayStation All Stars: Battle Royale?

one word! advertisement, which didn't happen in the U.S. i want Nintendo to bring Roy back.

Around the Network

Another possible problem: unintuitive gameplay.

When you play a regular fighter or Smash Bros, you want to inflict as much damage as possible while taking as little as possible. Hence, you have a balance of offense and defense. In PSASBR, there's relatively little reason to defend, especially since a Kill counts for more than a Death. Honestly, being hit only matters when somebody is using a Super Move, and other than the Level 3's those can be tricky for noobs to land.

Love and tolerate.

I give this OP my approval. It's a shallow game. Tons of fun but not enough variety to make it something you want to keep coming back to.

I said it in another thread some time ago. Imo making a fighting game, ala SSB, with Playstation characters was a silly idea to begin with.
Sony is not Nintendo, its brand is not based on mascots, if they wanted to make a fighting game, even similar to SSB, they should have just created a new IP with original characters and settings.
Also "Playstation All Star Battle Royal" really... they should have named it "I Hate When Elevator's Door Open Up And A Raptor Appears In Front Of Me" it would have sounded better.

Apparently only games with commercials airing every two seconds sell well (oh and there were most definitely commercials). Like, remember all of those Ni No Kuni ads? Kid Icarus: Uprising clearly had more ads than PS All Stars. It's not like there was an open beta, or in store demos in every store I went to (these are usually national decisions so I imagine it's the same elsewhere), and lots of coverage on gaming websites.

People saw the game, got to play the game, and they said no thanks. It's a mediocre game with sales to match.

Around the Network

- Lack of compelling roster
- PR + Marketing did a horrible job to convey what the game was and who the intended audience was for
- Lastly, their most crucial mistake was to try and replicate Nintendo's success with Smash Bros - it was destined to fail

Straight to the point: the roster was terrible. What should have been a celebration of the iconic characters of Playstation became a celebration of whatever random characters happened to be at hand or have a game coming out soon.

Very good article OP.

Arcade mode is boring as hell but multiplayer with 3 friends is awesome but only 3 modes too bad maybe it was low budget or maybe it was incompetence but the lack of content and roster killed this game.

BTW the stages in that video looked bad ass! what happen with those?

Very enjoyable read! I really like such long OP's at times^^

It failed because it put many Sony characters in an alien dimension to them.